New Code to add Support for USR5465

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Within the last day, I have gained the ability to compile my own test firmware, based on mini_generic. Through experimentation I have determined that the best settings for the LED gpio's are these:
Code:
in DD-WRT/src/router/libutils/utils.c
   case ROUTER_USR_5465:
      usb_gpio = 0x002;
      wlan_gpio = 0x004;

in ~/DD-WRT/src/router/services/sysinit/sysinit-broadcom.c
   case ROUTER_USR_5461:
   case ROUTER_USR_5465:
      nvram_set("wl0gpio0", "8");

Previous assumption that the wl0 LED was 136 for active low (based on information I got from other people) was probably incorrect.

With setting as shown above, WLAN LED is on when radio is on, off when radio is disabled, and blinks when radio passes packets. WAN LED works as expected: off when ethernet cable is unplugged, on when cable is connected, blinks with traffic.

To do: get a build working to test USB functions.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
modervador wrote:

Note: that's another boardnum. 3 different USR5465's, 3 different boardnums.

Maybe used as board serial number, ie every board has its unique number?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
modervador wrote:

Note: that's another boardnum. 3 different USR5465's, 3 different boardnums.

Maybe used as board serial number, ie every board has its unique number?

Many days ago I had tried to deduce the boardnum by reading USR's GPL source code, and I think your suspicion has some merit. My recollection is that the boardnum was not a simple #define, so obfuscated that I gave up in favor of reading it directly from the nvram. It's interesting that the USR5461 does not follow the same scheme, despite having much of its code in common with the USR5465.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can it be some kind of "3rd party firmware blocking system"?
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
Can it be some kind of "3rd party firmware blocking system"?

I've seen a famous quote which was something like:

"never attribute to malice what can be sufficiently explained by incompetence."
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 15:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Friends,

I like to give back to the community. Attached here is a mini firmware which might be useful for your USR5465 or USR5455. It will probably NOT work in any other router.

It is only at svn13302 (edit: now 13525) because it has been a while since I have worked on it. I need to do more research about whether newer svn's would actually help these routers; many recent changes are for functions not on these routers. If there is interest from the community, I'll recompile.

Features of my firmware:

* FTP server (proftpd on the services:NAS tab) is working.

* CIFS Automount and JFFS2 are included (administration tab) but untested. Maybe somebody will test for me? (edit: the incomplete CIFS support has since been removed.)

* USB1.1 is working. USB2.0 also works but is not 100% reliable yet, so I'm not using it. I'll check later if alternate USB2.0 drivers work better.

* LEDs work properly.

Because USB is working, Frater's "optware the right way" (link) works great on an external hard drive. I'm using it now mainly to run Samba to make a shared NAS accessible by windows boxes, which is simpler than FTP for the users.

Note for USR5455: I have not tested this "access point" model. However, my experience with the USR5461 and USR5432 leads me to say the following. If you are still using USRobotics factory firmware, upgrade to the latest version, and make sure you configure and know the AP's STATIC IP. After you flash with this 3rd-party firmware and erase nvram and reboot, DD-WRT will think the single ethernet port is a WAN port, so at first telnet or http access will only work on the wireless at ssid=dd-wrt. To keep from being locked out if you do "something wrong" with the radio settings, you should first turn on one or more "hardwired" administrative access options. If you leave it in AP mode, enable "Remote Access" in the administration tab; in client bridge mode, enable "Assign WAN Port to Switch" in basic setup. Then connect through the wire to confirm. The good news is that the 30/30/30 reset DOES apparently work on my URS5465, so bricking seems less of a possibility.

Disclaimer: All the usual caveats for any other version of DD-WRT apply. Do a 30/30/30 etc. If any of the above terms are unfamiliar to you, do some research before using this firmware, and/or stick with the factory firmware.

EDIT:
Custom firmware svn13302 attachment removed 2009-12-31 18:04 after 8 downloads.
Custom firmware svn13525 (version 12/30/09) removed 2010-02-10 17:49 after 68 downloads.

dd-wrt.v24_13525-2010-01-16_mini_usb_USR54x5.bin
 Description:
svn13525 version 2010-01-16

Download
 Filename:  dd-wrt.v24_13525-2010-01-16_mini_usb_USR54x5.bin
 Filesize:  3.2 MB
 Downloaded:  2597 Time(s)

Last edited by modervador on Wed Feb 10, 2010 17:54; edited 3 times in total
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I have researched the changesets since 13302, and there is sufficient reason to recompile to a newer svn. I will let you know when I get that done.
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have compiled svn 13525 for the USR5465/5455. All the caveats I mentioned above for my custom 13302 apply to this one.

Optware works better on this version, vis-a-vis especially startup and shutdown. If you installed optware on 13302, please wipe it and reinstall after flashing this 13525.

Does anybody need help installing? Just ask and I'll find and post links to the TFTP method, and if pressed, I'll make a version flashable over the USR factory web GUI.

Enjoy!

EDIT: See earlier post above for updated version.

(24 downloads as of 2010-01-13 20:04)
(68 downloads as of 2010-02-10 17:47)

Last edited by modervador on Wed Feb 10, 2010 17:49; edited 2 times in total
jnorbi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 20:43    Post subject: great! :) Reply with quote
Hello modervador,

This build works great on my USR5465! Smile I've wait for a long time to flash with DD-WRT fw... I've flashed with the previous one of fw from you, this fw is also works great.

Printserver function installed via this guide: http://sites.google.com/site/wl520gu/ (because for this JFFS needed -> JFFS tested -> OK!)

I've only 1 problem, but I think it's not the fw's problem. I've a printer (HP Officejet J3680) and I can't print on it over the router... With the original fw there was the same problem, I've turned off the advanced printing the bi-directional communication and many other options, with another printer (HP Officejet 4110) and with the original fw I can print over the router. But the other printer goes wrong, and this new printer do the following: from the printer's property page send a job to print the test page, ok, printing starts. About 1-2 lines from the page is printed then the printer stops and in the spool the job get an "Error" flag, can't stop the job and if I want to delete it I need to turn off the printer. Of course if I print directly from my computer it works. Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

modervador wrote:
I have compiled svn 13525 for the USR5465/5455. All the caveats I mentioned above for my custom 13302 apply to this one.

Optware works better on this version, vis-a-vis especially startup and shutdown. If you installed optware on 13302, please wipe it and reinstall after flashing this 13525.

Does anybody need help installing? Just ask and I'll find and post links to the TFTP method, and if pressed, I'll make a version flashable over the USR factory web GUI.

Enjoy!
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi jnorbi. I'm glad the firmware is working.

I should have confessed I have never tested USB printing in any version of DD-WRT, be it on the USR5465 or any other manufacturer/model router in my stable.

A few years ago I started buying printers only if they had an ethernet port, assuming I'm going to share it on the network, and these problems just don't happen for me. However, I do remember some initial angst with setting up drivers and shares and so on till I settled on my current modus operandi.

On windows (which I'm guessing you are using, but you didn't say), I do the same thing with the ethernet-capable printers as I did with shared USB or parallel printers hooked to other computers. I install the driver with "have disk" in the add new printer wizard as if the printer was connected directly to the computer I want to print from. After the wizard finishes, I open the printer properties and set it to print to a tcp/ip port using a static IP or the netbios name of the remote printer server (i.e. the other computer or ethernet interface built into the printer). While playing with that aspect of it, you can change the spooling and data format. I think over the network, the RAW format often worked best. You've already mentioned the bidirectional stuff.

Many printers depend on the PC's CPU and driver rather than their embedded CPU to do the bulk of the processing, and I believe the OfficeJet and other "All in One" printer/scanners are typically in this category, but I forget where I heard or read this. Anyway, HP has a support forum much like this one (google is your friend). I think I read there a tip there to use one of the DeskJet drivers built into windows XP (or 2000 a few years ago). There may have been a link to another support page. For example, for the PhotoSmart 2750 printer/scanner, an alternate driver for printing over the network was the DeskJet 990c driver. It has worked and saved me from installing the bloated HP software package with the scanner drivers, which are not real useful for a device in the other room anyway when all you want to do is print some stuff.

But I agree, I doubt this is a firmware problem.
JarGer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:09    Post subject: DD-WRT on USR5455 Reply with quote
Hello,

i confirm that this build works fine on USR5455. After some initial noob-typical problems (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hard_reset_or_30/30/30) i have managed to flash over tftp.

Thanks modervador!
Thanks DD-WRT developers!
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am glad it works for you. It has been downloaded 37 times as of now, so you may have some company.

I am working on how to get "normal" DD-WRT to recognise these devices without resorting to my custom build. Till then I'll try to keep my build somewhat up to date.

Could you please post the CFE of your USR5455 to help me in this endeavor?

How to access your cfe: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/CFE_backup
JarGer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
modervador wrote:
I am working on how to get "normal" DD-WRT to recognise these devices without resorting to my custom build. Till then I'll try to keep my build somewhat up to date.

It's great, i hope you success Smile
Good luck!

cfe.bin
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  cfe.bin
 Filesize:  256 KB
 Downloaded:  2114 Time(s)

stanleyt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi modervador,
Glad to hear good news that there is a suitable DD-WRT image for USR5455.
I downloaded the binary file for my USR5455, but failed to upload image neither by TFTP nor command line.(shown at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Method_2:_Flashing_with_TFTP. )
I run the upgrade utility under WinXP SP3.

Would you please show me the installation procedures?

And just in case if I need to restore AP back to factory binary, how should I do with it?
Appreciated!
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
stanleyt wrote:
Hi modervador,
Glad to hear good news that there is a suitable DD-WRT image for USR5455.
I downloaded the binary file for my USR5455, but failed to upload image neither by TFTP nor command line.(shown at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation#Method_2:_Flashing_with_TFTP. )
I run the upgrade utility under WinXP SP3.

Would you please show me the installation procedures?

And just in case if I need to restore AP back to factory binary, how should I do with it?
Appreciated!

What is the static IP of your USR5455?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: