Bricked my ASUS RT-N16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
SiliconWarrior
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 22:42    Post subject: Bricked my ASUS RT-N16 Reply with quote
So I got this shiny new router for Christmas and couldn't wait to try DD-WRT on it.

I set up my PC with a static IP, connected to only the router and followed the directions in the wiki here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16

I downloaded the dd-wrt.v24-13491_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx file from the link on the wiki page, did a 30/30/30 reset which didn't seem to do anything on the router, so I went in and reset the defaults from within the ASUS web UI. I then uploaded the file using the ASUS firmware update from their web UI.

When that finished, I let the router sit for 5 minutes before doing another 30/30/30, but I couldn't connect to the web UI or telnet. I was only able to ping for a little while after powering on the router.

I installed the ASUS Firmware Recovery Utility from the CD that came with the router. After a couple of tries, I was able to get it to upload the dd-wrt.v24-13309_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx file to the router. The router seemed to boot (the wlan light came on after a while, the power light was solid) but I was unable to ping it or connect to the web UI.

So, I decided to try to put the ASUS firmware back. I put the router into recovery mode and ran the recovery utility to upload the ASUS firmware, but it hung at 33% complete and eventually said it could no longer communicate with the router.

Now, I can't seem to get the router into recovery mode any more, only the LAN connection light where I have my PC connected lights up. It doesn't respond to pings or anything else for that matter.

Is there still hope?

Last edited by SiliconWarrior on Tue Dec 29, 2009 15:31; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
SiliconWarrior
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd like to at least try to learn from this experience.

Can anyone suggest where I might have screwed this up?

After re-reading the peacock thread, the only mistake I can see for the first upload (via the ASUS web ui) was that I was using Firefox instead of IE. I'm not sure what difference that makes, though.

Using the ASUS recovery utility, I was able to upload the older version of DD-WRT and got the router to boot to the point where the wireless light was on, but still no web interface or telnet access. I reset the router (using the 30/30/30 method) several times, but it didn't help.

Finally, I guess my ultimate mistake was trying to put back the ASUS firmware.
magnetic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's almost impossible to brick a Asus routers, unless you mess around with it too much.

Just follow the sticky:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61570

30/30/30 don't work with Asus routers.
gruenesAlien
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
For my wl-500gP V2 it helps to leave the router without power for some hours. I do not know why, but it does. This might be true for rt-n16, too.
MrAlvin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
There should be both serial RS-232 (at TTL level) and JTAG interfaces on the ASUS RT-N16 so it should be very un-brickable - although you may need to get special cables and read-up a bit on how to use those interfaces Wink

I have a handfull of cell-phone (serial TTL <-> USB) cables. PM me if you'd like to get one of these cables.
SiliconWarrior
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the tips.

Somehow I got this one well and truly bricked.

Since it's brand new I'm going to see if I can exchange it before messing with soldering in pins for JTag or serial (I did some googling and the only pictures I saw of the motherboard didn't have the pins in place.)
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
jtag is not supported just yet even though the device has the connection(s) for it.. Only serial can be used.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seem I bricked my Asus RT-N16 too

1. reset 30-30-30
2. u/l file 13309_newd-2_k2.6_mini_rt-n16.trx

the u/l went just fine and I was able to get to the change id/pw page of dd-wrt. Did another 30-30-30 reset, changed the id/pw, went to admin page and do a firmware upload there

1. u/l file13491_newd-2.big and got confirmation that everything uploaded just fine, however router didn't go into the id/pw change page automatically so I thought nothing of it. I went ahead and did another 30-30-30 reset and noticed that the router light didn't went dark like its supposed to be but i continued anyhow. After the final 30 reset, the wireless light doesn't come on again and and now I'm unable to access the router via 192.168.1.1. I tried firefox, ie, do another 30-30-30 reset, telnet and can't seem to connect to the dang thing now. Any thoughts on this?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you guys can't get if figured out.. I'll fix your router(s).. (Free except return shipping, US only).

I got dinked on my Provontage order so I need to get some "hands on" with this device.. PM if interested..

Or.. I can trade you even-up for a nice wrt54g v5 Razz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tried to tftp to see if i can recover but still no luck so far.

Win 7 TFTP and tftp2.exe
deboyz1014
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update, I was able to use tftp2.exe on an xp machine and flashed the 13491.trx file and the router is up. Debating whether I want to risk flashing the big.bin again or just stick with the basic for now.
magnetic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't 30-30-30 your Asus routers, just select reset to default setting when upgrade your new firmware.
deboyz1014
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update: Flashed to Std build then from there to big build yesterday with no issue.

Is there a reason for not doing the 30-30-30 on Asus router?
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
On this router reset button only brings you to recovery mode. If you wish to restore defaults, use wps button while plugging power in.
deboyz1014
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Awesome, I did not know about that. Thanks for the info.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: