Everything you Ever Wanted to know about XBox connections

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 23:44    Post subject: Everything you Ever Wanted to know about XBox connections Reply with quote
Sash: THIS HAS TO BE MOVED TO THE WIKI! I'll unsticky it in a few weeks

Okay. We get several people each day asking the same questions over and over about xbox and getting things connected. Lets pool the information here so we don't have to keep dealing with the same issue over and over again.

I had suggested that someone make a wiki article on xboxs, but I don't think anyone ever did.

So...if you have a question about Xbox connections or info on how to set one up....post it here.

I'll sticky this for a while.....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Sponsor
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll start, I guess. :P

Port forwarding - the following ports must be open for Xbox Live to function correctly:

80: TCP/UDP
3074: TCP/UDP
53: TCP/UDP
88: UDP

OR you can use UPnP which will open the ports automatically and ensure an open NAT, which is essential.

EDIT: barryware has noted that only ports 3074 and 88 open appear to work in his setup...feel free to try that and if Live doesn't function correctly try opening up the rest of the ports.

Netgear WNDR3700 - OpenWRT Kamikaze Bleeding Edge Trunk Builds
(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6

Last edited by got_milk on Sat Dec 19, 2009 22:05; edited 1 time in total
zerophyte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm at wits end here... I have DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/08/09) std - build 12874 flashed to a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 wireless router..

I followed all the info in peacock's thread on 30-30-30 hard resetting and properly flashing.

I'm using almost all stock settings on my router except for that i have UPnP turned off as I hear its quite unstable and raises the cpu on the router.

I got all my ports forwarded for xbox live.

And the results?? I get a consistent ping of 54-60 ms on average pinging major servers across Canada and into the states.

And when playing Xbox Live, CoD MW2 or Halo 3... I get about 2-5 minutes of lag-free gameplay, and then the dreaded eternal lag just sets in until i disconnect from every match I try...

Problem is the connection never recovers till I exit/lag out or restart a new match..

Other factors to note is that my internet connection is WiMAX based with 3.5GHz radio frequency antenna on my roof which pings about 24-52ms to my ISP. And my Xbox 360 is wired to the router, not using wifi adapter.

Now, I know people will say WiMAX is crap for online gaming.. and maybe so.. But I have heard of people having success with using it..

My speeds range in this area but are burstable:
Download Speed: 2104 kbps (263 KB/sec transfer rate, on average I do 312KB/sec)
Upload Speed: 222 kbps (27.8 KB/sec transfer rate, on average I do about 35~40 KB/sec)

This is just a test on Speakeasy.net on a seattle server.

At any rate, maybe I'm just totally doomed.. Only online games I play quite flawlessly online with consistent low ping is World of Warcraft and AiON online for PC.

Does using QoS help any at all?? I'm not familiar with that feature and therefor am not using it.
TurtleFang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also a good starting point on the subject from the Microsoft support webpage:

Which ports are required to be open for Xbox LIVE on your router or firewall.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Hope this helps,
-TurtleFang
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would like to know what frequency range the Xbox 360 wireless controllers operate in....so we can match the frequency with a channel and therefore know which channel to set your router on to avoid interference. I know they are 2.4 Ghz but we need to know the full number. Like my microwave operates at 2450 mhz or 2.450 Ghz which breaks down to something like channel 7.5 on a router.

I'm not lazy, I searched but found nothing but bs information. The FCC probably has the answer, but navigation of there site is hard on a blackberry.

The FCC ID is
Code:

FCC ID: C3K-WC01
IC: 3048A-WC01

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed

Last edited by autobot on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:34; edited 1 time in total
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
autobot wrote:
I would like to know what frequency range the Xbox 360 wireless controllers operate in....so we can match the frequency with a channel and therefore know which channel to set your router on to avoid interference. I know they are 2.4 Ghz but we need to know the full number. Like my microwave operates at 2450 mhz or 2.450 Ghz which breaks down to channel 3 on a router.

I'm not lazy, I searched but found nothing but bs information. The FCC probably has the answer, but navigation of there site is hard on a blackberry.

The FCC ID is
Code:

FCC ID: C3K-WC01
IC: 3048A-WC01

2402.0 ~ 2480.0

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
got_milk wrote:

Port forwarding - the following ports must be open for Xbox Live to function correctly:

OR you can use UPnP which will open the ports automatically and ensure an open NAT, which is essential.

Just an FYI.. I only forward ports 3074 & 88 and have no problems.. I don't chat ot text.. Maybe that is what port 53 is for??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
got_milk wrote:

Just an FYI.. I only forward ports 3074 & 88 and have no problems.. I don't chat ot text.. Maybe that is what port 53 is for??

Could be, I use UPnP in DD-WRT so I don't have to manually open ports. I keep my systems pretty secure so I don't really need to worry about open ports ;)

I'll update my original post with this info.

(retired) Linksys WRT310N v1 - DD-WRT v24-sp2 build 15693 std-nokaid-small NEWD2 K2.6
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks barryware. That should be helpful.

BrainSlayer Builds

dako
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know if I have to enable a setting o do something special to play with System Link?

I've got two Xboxes with CoD: Modern Warfare 2, each one connected to a router (one as main, the other set as a repeater-bridge).

I'm able to create a game room, but the other Xbox is unable to join, giving me an error (Unable to connect to the host, not very descriptive).

No idea what it could be, Live works on both Xboxes (meaning I've got internet and ports are working), and even enabled uPnP (though it shouldn't do much, since I'm playing locally).

Any ideas Surprised?
got_milk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
dako wrote:
Does anyone know if I have to enable a setting o do something special to play with System Link?

I've got two Xboxes with CoD: Modern Warfare 2, each one connected to a router (one as main, the other set as a repeater-bridge).

I'm able to create a game room, but the other Xbox is unable to join, giving me an error (Unable to connect to the host, not very descriptive).

No idea what it could be, Live works on both Xboxes (meaning I've got internet and ports are working), and even enabled uPnP (though it shouldn't do much, since I'm playing locally).

Any ideas Surprised?

Doesn't System Link require the systems to actually be connected to one another (meaning no router inbetween)?

autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wouldn't you be able to use VLAN for this?

BrainSlayer Builds

cid92
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had issues with my Xbox and tried the port forwarding and UPnP but nothing worked until I placed it in the DMZ and assigned it priority QoS. I've never had an issue since.
mohbandy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 22:15    Post subject: NAT issues with xbox 360 and a wireless bridge Reply with quote
Here is my 360 connection issue - Instead of buying the overpriced xbox wirless adapter, i decided to use a wireless bridge instead.

If i connect both my 360s to the primary router, everything works fine - both have an 'open' NAT and all the features of xbox live work. If I try to connect through the client bridge, that xbox has a 'moderate' NAT. Again, both work if connected to the primary.

I have uPnP enabled on both, I tried setting both primary and secondary routers to have the 'moderate' xbox in a DMZ but this didn't make any difference. So then I thought maybe the bridge router was the problem. I happened to have a friend that had an old WRT54G v2.0 laying around so i set it up as my client bridge but with the same outcome.

Code:
primary:
Router Model
Linksys WRT300N v1
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/27/08) mini - build 10011

then pick a bridge...
Code:
bridge1
Router Model
Linksys WRT160Nv3
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/25/09) mini - build 13309M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

bridge2
Router Model
Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) std - build 13064M VINT Eko

Firewall disabled, uPnP and all the other settings laid out here:http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

What can I do to this bridge to achieve an open NAT?
autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ mobandy

Do you have the firewall disabled on the client bridge or are you even using it in client bridge mode?

You can try my miniupnp installer and see if that works, but it seems like something else is your issue. I would update the 10011 firmware to something more recent as it has a known exploit.

*edit*
I missed the bottom of your post, it answered my question.

BrainSlayer Builds

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: