Windows 7 VPN help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
thehourman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 0:19    Post subject: Windows 7 VPN help Reply with quote
I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 desktop and Linksys WRT610n v2 13527 big firmware.

I am trying to setup a Windows VPN, so that I can access my stuff when I'm on the road. I am getting tired of carrying a external HDD with me all the time.
However, I could not make it to work.
I followed this guide http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Vista/PPTP/PPTPVPN.html
I also did the port range forward on my WRT610N v2.
In addition, my desktop and netbook have static addresses which are 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.102.

The ipv4 in the Incoming IP Properties I made it static.
Which are 192.168.0.101(My desktop)
and 192.168.0.102(My netbook)

The port forwading I did is this:
Under Port Range Forward
Start End Protocol IP Address Enable
1723 1723 TCP 192.168.0.101 Checked
1723 1723 TCP 192.168.0.102 Checked

Can someone enlighten me how to properly set this up?

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: the error that I always get is this "Error 868: The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve."
Sponsor
Macgyver
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
PPTP on DDWRT is really simple...all you have to do is this:
go to services/vpn
enable pptp server
put server ip
put ip range outside of DHCP for VPN clients (example 192.168.1.4-7)
for chap secrets put
username * password *
replacing the username/password but leave the *
You don't have to set anything else on the router for that to work

then from your 7 machine, select PPTP from the VPN type after you made the connection settings.
You don't have to forward anything...once you are connected you can access any machine on your network

Hardware that works for me:
RT-N66U MerlinWRT 3.0.0.4.374.33_beta3b
E3000 WDS Kong v21661
thehourman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Macgyver wrote:
go to services/vpn
enable pptp server
put server ip
for chap secrets put
username * password *

then from your 7 machine, select PPTP from the VPN type after you made the connection settings.
You don't have to forward anything...once you are connected you can access any machine on your network

I want to make sure if I understand you.
Ex.
Server IP [192.168.1.101] <--(My machine's static IP)
Client's IP [192.168.1.102-105]
CHAP-Secrets [thehourman * vpn *]

Did I understand it right?

I have another question. Is it safe to do this? and what are PPTP Client, OpenVPN Daemon, and OpenVPN Client?
Sorry if I have many questions, I am still learning.

I set it up just like my example, I am still getting the same error.
Macgyver
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
thehourman wrote:
Macgyver wrote:
go to services/vpn
enable pptp server
put server ip
for chap secrets put
username * password *

I want to make sure if I understand you.
Ex.
Server IP [192.168.1.101] <--(My machine's static IP)
Client's IP [192.168.1.102-105]

Did I understand it right?

I have another question. Is it safe to do this? and what are PPTP Client, OpenVPN Daemon, and OpenVPN Client?
Sorry if I have many questions, I am still learning.

I set it up just like my example, I am still getting the same error.

Close...but in my example you are using the router as the VPN server so that way you can seamlessly browse your network.
What you would want is this:

Ex.
Server IP [192.168.1.1] <--(Router IP)
Client's IP [192.168.1.10-15]<----if DHCP leases are not default which is 100-150)

I suggest reading the wiki or google for all the VPN info...
pptp is simple but not really considered secure. Depending on your needs it may be sufficient

E3000 WDS Kong v21661
KayDat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/PPTP_Server_Configuration
A good place to start. Setup DDWRT to be PPTP server, and laptop to as client. Make sure DHCP IP range and PPTP client IP range do not overlap, will cause headaches. This is a decent guide for Win7/Vista VPN setup. You might want to setup a dynamic dns account so you don't always have to keep track of your home IP address.

BTW, I've found PPTP to be dreadfully slow. It's fine for small files (think small word and excel files), but even browsing photos will be a massive pain in the butt. Well, let me clarify slow, it has very little bandwidth, but decent latency, so it's fine for games, but bad for file transfer. While it's not as secure, as mentioned before, at least it's easy to setup, and any Windows client can connect.

BTW, in PPTP connection properties->Networking tab->IPv4 properties->Advanced, you might want to disable "Use default gateway on remote network". Your net might be screwed/very slow with this enabled.
thehourman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Macgyver,
I tried the 2nd example you have provided, but its still no luck. I also tried to use the WAN IP(located on the right top corner of the webgui) and it is still no luck either. However, my netbook is verifying the username and password now.
Unfortunately, I am getting a new error which is "Error 800: The remote connection was not made because the attempted VPN tunnels failed. The VPN server might be unreachabl. If this connection is attempting to use an L2TP/IPsec tunnel. The security parameters required for IPsec negotiation might not be configured properly."

@ KayDat,
What do you mean play games? I have some online games like Call of Duty 4, can I play that using my netbook?
I am going to use VPN for mp3 and video and some files like MS word and powerpoint.
KayDat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some people use VPN's to play games. Since most games have LAN play, pirates who don't have a legal version setup VPNs to play online. Hamachi is a popular one aimed at games, but PPTP works too.
It's a quick way to get a game going between friends once you have to network setup, if you dont' want to have to deal with a game's built in online system either.
thehourman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can VPN using my own network, but if I tried to connect using my neighbor's wireless signal I can't connect to my PC.

Also, when it said Internet Access, it means I'm connected, right? How do I access my stuff then? I opened Computer and expanded the Network I can see my Dekstop, but I can't access it. It said Windows cannot access \\thehourman.
DrMiKEY
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
thehourman wrote:
I can VPN using my own network, but if I tried to connect using my neighbor's wireless signal I can't connect to my PC.

That is exactly my problem also. I can connect when on my network, but otherwise it doesn't connect. I have OpenVPN installed in Optware.

ifconfig shows that some packets are dropped but the firewall log does not show 1194 connections dropped.

Code:
ifconfig tap0
tap0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:FF:DC:54:0D:25 
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING PROMISC MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:406 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:17272 errors:0 dropped:13420 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:69480 (67.8 Kb)  TX bytes:5657610 (5.3 Mb)

brclt show lists vlan0, eth1, and tap0 as bridged under br0. Should vlan1 also be present here?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Macgyver
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:52    Post subject: if you followed the VERY simple instructions... Reply with quote
It is no rocket science...there are only 3 fields to put...the first one is your ROUTERS INTERNAL IP (default is 192.168.1.1), the IPs you are assigning to your VPN CANNOT be in the DHCP range (second part) and the third is your username/password.

On your PC in the security tab for the VPN connection, select PPTP from the dropdown, and 'require maximum encryption'.

As for OpenVPN, that is another ballgame, and should be a different thread.
Last of all, DO YOUR HOMEWORK, and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS....my kid can configure this at 12 years old for crying out loud

E3000 WDS Kong v21661
68rustang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey MacGyver, Think you can ship your kid down to Ohio so he can setup a VPN for me? :)

The dd-wrt pptp VPN server will not work for me no matter what. I have setup VPNs before directly to my WHS box withot any issue. I would like my router to handle the connection and the configuration sounds pretty straight forward but I can't get it to work, I am sure it is something obvious.

My setup:

Quote:
AT&T DSL Modem
Linksys WRT310N Router running dd-wrt vpn build
WHS and Win7 clients

On the dd-wrt services tab:

PPTP Server: Enable
Broadcast Support: Enable
Force MPPE Encryption: Enable
Server IP: 192.168.1.2
Client IP(s): 192.168.1.120-124
CHAP-Secrets: joe * joespassword *

Radius: Disable

I am not sure if the SERVER IP should be 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.2, I have seen both in the help and forums, neither one works for me. The CLIENT IP(s) are outside of my DHCP range. I have tried forwarding port 1723 to the PPTP server IP and it still doesn't work.

When I try to connect I immediately get an error 619.
thehourman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dude, if you get it to work, can you let me know.

Thanks
Macgyver
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
The server IP should be your internal router IP
Make sure for the chap secrets that you have a space and * after the username/password
example:
username * password*

13527 seems to have some problems with authentication if PPTP server is enabled; outbound VPN fails so it must be part of that bug.
I am using build 13401 on my 600N right now..if you can I suggest using that build for starters (not sure if 610Nv2 supported in 13401 check it out)

You don't have to do any port forwarding...really it is only 3 fields to fill in...I would look at your client authentication options.
As for the build, mini works just fine for this; you don't need the VPN version

pptp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.34 KB
 Viewed:  44249 Time(s)

pptp.png

E3000 WDS Kong v21661
68rustang
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:29    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote
I appreciate the response. 13401 works so my settings were correct. I was using 13064 from the router database which apparently must be broken.

I don't see 13527, the newest is 13575. I might try to install it but I want to figure out what it is first.

Thanks again.
Macgyver
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote
68rustang wrote:
I appreciate the response. 13401 works so my settings were correct. I was using 13064 from the router database which apparently must be broken.

I don't see 13527, the newest is 13575. I might try to install it but I want to figure out what it is first.

Thanks again.

I don't know why 13064 became recommended for any reason....as far as I know 13401 is MY recommended build to use for K24...and for K26 if you can
13527 and newer have problems so don't bother with those....glad you got it working Very Happy
I had to figure out if it was a router or build problem...and with so many routers to play with it gets to be fun Razz
For now I am just using my WRT600N as my main access point until something is fixed with K26 builds so the features work again

E3000 WDS Kong v21661
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: