Bricked WRT600N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
devros
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 0:47    Post subject: Bricked WRT600N Reply with quote
I tried loading the new BS K26 on my WRT600N v1.1 It didn't take, and I got a brick :(

after the upload, i could ping it right as it booted up, but only for a few seconds, so I was hopeful that I could fix it with TFTP. I was able to upload an older 600n mini build, and it must have taken a little, as now when the router boots up I am able to continuously ping it, however that is about the only sign of life. The power light flashed, and a port light will turn on if something is plugged into it, but that is about it. can't telnet or get in with a browser. I've tried doing a 30-30-30 on it and then reuploading the firmware again, but no luck.

Anybody have any ideas on anything else I can try? Is wiring up a serial cable my only option at this point?

TIA,

-dev
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
see if you can tftp the stock linksys firmware.. Then start over.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would that be version 1.01.36_build_4 that is on their website? I thought there was some sort of issue with that version on the 1.1's.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
well at least it is confirmed that k26 does not run on a 600.

in regards to the stock firmware.. on the ls website, you enter your router model number, then is asks for the version number.. after that, just download what is available for you router & version.

In regards to linksys routers.. always use the stock firmware to recover form a fubar flash.. then start over.. I have seen this on TV Razz

Usually.. k26 wrecks a router to the point that it will not accept a tftp upload (if the router can not run k26).. maybe the 600 is different.. If not, then you need serial to get it running again..

Good luck.. Don't be scared.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
It will take the stock FW over tftp, and will remain pingable after the the reboot, but that is about it. No telnet/web, etc...

Guess I am running to radio shack and wiring up a serial cable Sad
Slione
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
devros wrote:
It will take the stock FW over tftp, and will remain pingable after the the reboot, but that is about it. No telnet/web, etc...

Guess I am running to radio shack and wiring up a serial cable Sad

Not sure how long you are waiting after tftping the stock fw over but I have found you need to wait at least 5 minutes for it to totally load and come back to life.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
It took another 3 tries, but I finally got the stock firmware to take and was able to flash back to dd-wrt. I'm now running the latest NEWD2(non K26) dd-wrt :)

Anybody know what the issue is with the K26 builds on the 600 v1.1 is?
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
devros wrote:
Anybody know what the issue is with the K26 builds on the 600 v1.1 is?

Honestly, I have not had any issues with the K24 builds that Brainslayer puts out. You might try posting your cfe.bin to the cfe collection project here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25971. It might be that your cfe is a bit different from mine. I think mine was purchased as "refirbished" meaning that the factory probably updated the cfe if it needed it.

EDIT: Appearantly, I am running K24 builds with NEWD2 drivers. Post has been edited (although it seems kind of pointless now).

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.

Last edited by crashfly on Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49; edited 1 time in total
lceron
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
what worked for me after loading the 2.6 fw was to download the mini fw indicated through the database router page and loading it through tftp... what i did was as follows

set up ip address to pc as static 192.168.1.110
setup tftp but don't start it yet
plug power cord to router
as soon as power cord is inserted begin tftp process(make sure you have 99 retries)

good luck...

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know if the WRT600n's will be supported, eventually? Or can they just not handle the K26 builds? I have two and really like 'em!
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
smajor wrote:
Does anyone know if the WRT600n's will be supported, eventually? Or can they just not handle the K26 builds? I have two and really like 'em!

I am quite sure the WRT600n will "eventually" be supported to have the K26 builds. At this time they are not (probably due to the cfe). The more time is spent working on the WRT600n, I am sure a solution will be figured out.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WRT600N and the WRT350N are two routers which are quite different from other Linksys routers by many aspects.

The main problem is the space they leave in RAM for initial loading of the dd-wrt firmware and there are only two ways of overcoming that problem:

1. A re-write of the dd-wrt firmware, adding a small loader which can then load the bigger kernel.

2. Changing the CFE to one which gives a bigger load space in RAM like the many of the later router model does.
I have not been able to find any other CFE compatible with the WRT350N or the 600N and it is not possible to build one from the Linksys GPL sources, they are incomplete.

I may later on patch the 350N CFE but it is a time consuming job changing hundreds of pointers in the binary code and it is very easy to miss just one of them.
The 350N, because it is similar to the 600N but the 350N has a jtag port so there is a way back..

@crashfly
K24 with NEWD-2 driver does also overflow into the CFE RAM area and will crash part of it.
Your luck is that it didn't overflow so much that it crashed the OS loader but any future build could do that. It may be a question of bytes or a few Kbytes so be aware - you may get a semi-brick with other versions than the one you are using now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ all 600N users.
Don't enable jffs in your routers, the board data partition in flash which contains your MAC address and all radio parameters will be overwritten!!

This will be corrected in future svn versions.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
@ all 600N users.
Don't enable jffs in your routers, the board data partition in flash which contains your MAC address and all radio parameters will be overwritten!!

This will be corrected in future svn versions.

Ouch... That would hurt.. Thanks for the find and the heads up.

Navigation

Jump to: