WRT54G2: Wireless rate drops to 2 Mbps or 1 Mbps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use WPA2/AES as per my signature (one set of routers in my signature is my folks' WDS setup, the other setup is mine).
Can't remember what CTS does/is.

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
Sponsor
rodgui
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
creaky wrote:
I use WPA2/AES as per my signature (one set of routers in my signature is my folks' WDS setup, the other setup is mine).
Can't remember what CTS does/is.

Last doubt.

This link (ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/WRT54G2V1%20Flashing ) has the firmware version you use (EKO 12548 in WRT54G2 v1)?
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know how to link to specific posts in threads, if you follow this link ~ http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58339&view=previous&sid=84fb4606640342beb95c9b18d02f784f and look down the page for my post at Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:51 pm you'll see the notes i posted which were EKO's own flashing notes that i'd added a few of my own steps to.

The 12548 firmware is here ~ ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn12548, i used dd-wrt.v24-10709_NEWD_micro followed by dd-wrt.v24-12548_NEWD_micro (the link you just posted has the 10709 firmware, i couldn't remember why until i went over my notes).

3 node setup ~ WPA2 AES comprising WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1 (EKO 12548)
jdattilo4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I registered for the forum precisely when I saw this post because it describes my issue exactly. Running v24-sp2 bld 13064 nokaid on a WHR-HP-G54 Buffalo. In my case, I think I've narrowed the performance hit to a particular node on my network. My Win XPsp3 desktop PC is running on a LinkSys wmp54g nic. I get consistent 48-54mbps connectivity indicated by the router's status page when this device is NOT connected. But, the moment I bring it online, the tx rate IMMEDIATELY drops to 36mbps or lower. This is even before I do anything network-wise. It never breaks 36, and if I'm performing a large file transfer (ie, to my ReadyNAS), this machine will drop the connection to as low as 2mbps. So, in my case, I believe this is nic related. I've already upgraded the drivers and tried to optimize via TCP Optimizer. No dice. If anyone out there has any suggestions other than a replacement or what I've already tried, I'm all ears (or eyes). Thanks to the community for a fantastic product!
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I doubt it's the NIC, the WMP54G are excellent adapters. I have half a dozen or so WMP54G's and back when i used them i don't recall any issues with the the router dropping down to such a low level. (My WMP54G's are two different chipsets btw, RT61 and RT2500, and i used the adapters in both XP and linux).

edit- just checked my 3 main routers ~

two of them are 48Mbps, 75 days uptime & 54Mbps, 77 days uptime
As to the WRT54G2 - it's currently at 18Mbps, 77 days uptime.
Maybe it's just a common problem on this particular model of router, 4 pages of thread would seem to suggest it is . Laughing

Last edited by creaky on Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:31; edited 2 times in total
jdattilo4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply.

I would tend to agree if I saw the issue on my two laptops, both with integrated wifi. It just doesn't occur when only those machines are on the network. And, when those machines are off, but the wmp54g is on, it still occurs. I can almost set my watch to it when I bring my wmp54g into play. The only way for me to know for sure is to swap it out. It's frustrating, given that the WHR-HP-G54 is one of the top most recommended routers for DD-WRT.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, i was typing away overlooking the fact that you said you have the Buffalo. I do have a couple Buffalo's (see my sig) and those don't have this same issue, nor do my other Linksys's, just the WRT54G2. They all stray from the 54Mbps level from time to time, but only by a little, it's only my WRT54G2 that drops down to 18Mbps and down as far as 2Mbps.
I don't know very much about the actual wireless rate, i think of it a bit like mobile phones, have you noticed that when a call comes in or a text arrives (i notice it more when the phone is near a radio, you know when you hear that slight interference noise from the phone just before a text arrives) the signal dips a little then rises shortly after.

So i guess the wireless rate strays now and then due to interference, what makes them drop to the bottomless pit of 2Mbps is a mystery though.. Rolling Eyes

jdattilo4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
No problem. I thought you saw something in the posts that I didn't. Laughing

I'd be content if the signal would drop low, then recover. I've definitely experienced the same occassional drop with my other machines, but like yours, it always recovers. When my wmp is online, it never recovers. It stays as low as 5.5mbps once it gets there, sometimes changing only to go down to 2, then maybe back up to 5.5. However, the minute I kill the connection, it's fine. I tried this while simultaneously copying data from my other wifi machines. That dastardly wmp killed the connection, but my rate recovered once I kill the wmp. All the while, my other machines never seemed to change the rate. This wmp is a few years old, and like you, never had a problem until now.

I'm just hoping I'm overlooking something stupid before I go for the swap. But, if not, I'll do what I hafta! Very Happy
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did mention similar behaviour here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=393440#393440
Quickly after that post, the problem occured again a few times.
WRT54GL and problems that seems to be only shown with WMP54G.
E.g. a laptop with a WPC54G in the same wireless network virtually never has problems.
The problem seen with the WMP54G are indeed that the wireless rate (shown in the Router status) "randomly" goes down to 5.5 Mbits/s. Repair or disconnect/connect of the WMP54G solves the problem (seen the behaviour with at least 2 PC's with a WMP54G). The wireless rate only goes down when the symptom is there and the specific client is active on the network. If that client is "silent"(no data traffic), other clients may boost the wireless rate back to 54M bits/s. As soon as the problem client generates network traffic, the wireless rate drops again.
One such client is 2 meter away from the WRT54GL in the same room, with an excellent signal strength, the other PC that sometimes shows the problem is one floor up, with some less signal, still good to excellent strenghth.

DD-WRT was setup close to default, with WPA2/AES and the configuration hints of Redhawk followed.

To eliminate DD-WRT as troublemaker, I went back to stock firmware almost two weeks ago. Since then the problem did not show up.
jdattilo4
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks wouter. I missed your mention of the wmp in the thread. All the more reason for me to try a swap. Got a friend who has a wmp54gs, so I'm hoping that is enough as a proof-of-concept. If I still have the problem, I may have no choice to buy something else and re-try. I'll update the thread with my findings. Probably in a few days.
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a few WMP54G's with me and a spare pc that i could test it in, i'll rig it up in the morning and post back with my findings also

autobot
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a RT2500 (Ralink) based wmp54 and it does indeed cause this type of behavior on my routers.

I found that Gigabytes drivers are the most stable but you have to edit the inf file and manually install them...this is on XP Professional.

BrainSlayer Builds

DD-WRT Changelog RSS Feed
wouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
For completeness: my WMP54G PCI adapters are Ralink RT61.
The driver is the standard and latest 1.0.3.0 version, dated 18-10-2005 (Ralink RT61.sys 1.00.03.0000).
The other sympthom I do see with these adapters is that with WRT54GL Stockfirmware, the "This adapter is connected..." system tray balloon shows up every hour or so. It seems it does not actually lose the connection (never noticed disconnects in traffic).
With DD-WRT I noticed this balloon only once with first connect, after startup of the PC.

I now realise that the PC's with WMP54G are also the ones that suffered DHCP issues (sometimes not getting an IP address, disconnect/connect or repair solves the problem). But, these DHCP issues are only seen with DD-WRT and Tarifa router firmware.
Using the WRT54GL with stockfirmware also solves the DHCP issues.
DD-WRT and Tarifa both use DNSMasq, maybe that plays a role? Never tried DD-WRT with DNSMasq disabled.

The laptop with a WPC54G adapter in the same wireless network never had DHCP issues, no wireless rate drop and no recurring "This adapter is connected..." balloons.

Are we going to blame the WMP54G?

Out of curiosity: what wireless G PCI adapters do others use that are defenitely solid as a rock on DD-WRT?
creaky
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
creaky wrote:
I have a few WMP54G's with me and a spare pc that i could test it in, i'll rig it up in the morning and post back with my findings also
Tried testing one of the WMP54G's, turns out the only PC i have spare at the moment to test it has a dodgy motherboard so i won't be able to test until i get hold of another spare machine, hopefully this will be early in the week, then i'll post back with my findings

dombila
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had similar problem earlier with other router models a well. Do not use the Channel settings: Auto.
Check your environment (neighbours' Wifi networks channel and set your channel to different one -1, 6, 11...)

I have always interference with other wireless networks, that was why the speed was droppod.

Using different channel then the device selected Auto, solved the issue.
(Linksys likes to use channel 11 independently from its environment...)

I hope it helps.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: