D-Link DSL-2640B

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ironman187
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:25    Post subject: D-Link DSL-2640B Reply with quote
Hey all, I've hit a brick wall here. I have a D-Link 2640B that I am trying to flash with the DD-WRT firmware. Now, this router is not listed as supported. But I believe I should be able to use the "standard Generic" firmware since this router does have a Broadcom chipset. I cannot seem to find any specs on the flash chip that is in the router, but given the fact that it looks like it has 128 mb of ram, I suspect it will be more than the obligatory 2 megs. I did try flashing this router with V.24 standard generic firmware and got a file error message during the flash. then it told me to flash it with firmware from my ISP...so I flashed it with the OEM firmware. Now I'm back where I started. Any hints as to what my next move should be would be great.

Here are some specs that should help out a bit.

FCC-ID: None

H/W version: B2

PCB rev: 1.03

RAM chip: ISSI IS42S16400B-7TL "1 Meg Bits x 16 Bits x 4 Banks (64-MBIT) SYNCHRONOUS DYNAMIC RAM" (One on top of the board, one on the bottom. adds up to 128 I believe) http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/I/S/4/2/IS42S16400B-7TL.shtml

10/100BASE-T/TX 5/6-Port Switch chip:
Broadcom BCM5325EKQMG
http://search.datasheetcatalog.net/key/BCM5325 (Not sure which one it is.)

802.11 Transceiver chip: Broadcom BCM4318KFBG
http://search.datasheetcatalog.net/key/BCM4318KFBG
(Couldn't find any info on this specific chip, but there were other models one number off.)

Flash Chip: AAM6020VI-DL1 (couldn't find ANY information on this chip. Other numbers that appear below this one are "306041G00 S8" and "MXI 870E)

@Sash, if you read this, and decide to post that there is no support...don't bother. I know there is no official support for this model, but I am lead to believe it has 4 MB flash memory, and it has a Broadcom chipset, per the Wiki I should be able to flash this router. I just need some idea as to which version of the firmware to use. Do I need to perform a "kill" on the current firmware, should I install a smaller or larger version of the generic firmware? Thanks!!!
Sponsor
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is naive to think you can flash dd-wrt onto any router just because it has a broadcom chipset. The recent broadcom routers that could be supported have taken hours and hours of work. Hundreds of hours by people who know what they are doing. It is far more complex than identifying the chips. One has to deal with what is on them for starters. Checksums, firmware, bootloaders....lots of stuff. So, unless you are capable of dealing with this yourself at a much higher level, forget it.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are no plans to support modem+router combo devices such as this, not even as plain routers.
ironman187
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peabody wrote:
It is naive to think you can flash dd-wrt onto any router just because it has a broadcom chipset. The recent broadcom routers that could be supported have taken hours and hours of work. Hundreds of hours by people who know what they are doing. It is far more complex than identifying the chips. One has to deal with what is on them for starters. Checksums, firmware, bootloaders....lots of stuff. So, unless you are capable of dealing with this yourself at a much higher level, forget it.

It's called generic dude. I read the wiki page, it said that USUALLY a router with a Broadcom chipset, and 2 mb of flash memory can be flashed. call me naive if you want, but I have been researching this for two days. Your post was less than helpful, and quite frankly, insulting.

@phuzi0n...thanks for that info. You have been most helpful. I don't know if this is taboo or not, but do you know of any other open source firmware I could look into for this router?
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
ironman187 wrote:
Peabody wrote:

It's called generic dude. I read the wiki page, it said that USUALLY a router with a Broadcom chipset, and 2 mb of flash memory can be flashed. call me naive if you want, but I have been researching this for two days. Your post was less than helpful, and quite frankly, insulting.

@phuzi0n...thanks for that info. You have been most helpful. I don't know if this is taboo or not, but do you know of any other open source firmware I could look into for this router?

Nope, still naive. Generic means that it's a regular ordinary plane Jane build, nothing special about it other than normal dd-wrt features. Older Broadcom chipsets are NOT supported by the NEWD or NEWD2 drivers, thus those builds won't work on some routers.

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: