Multicast from Wan to Lan on WRT54G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Hozomeen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 13:39    Post subject: Multicast from Wan to Lan on WRT54G Reply with quote
Hi all,
I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) std (SVN revision 13064M VINT Eko) on a WRT54G hw 1.1

My network layout is the following (plus other clients I don't mention):

SP modem---(SPsubnet)---SP IP/TV system
|
\--(SPsubnet)---WRT54G--(WRTsubnet)---NAS

That means my NAS with all the multimedia content is in an internal LAN, while the IP/TV system is in the SP LAN.
The IP/TV system is provided by the SP and has to main features: plays contents from the SP network and plays content of any UPnP system it is able to find. And the second feature is what I'm trying to have working.

To search for a local UPnP system the IP/TV system uses SSDP, and it sends a multicast discovery packet on the well known address 239.255.255.250
What I'm trying to do is to have WRT route the mutlticast packet from the wan, to my internal lan so that the NAS can answer to the request.
I've searched the forum and I've found many other threads related to this problem, but I've not been able to find a solution.

I've found that the tool I have to work with is called igmprt, and his main details are the following:

root@Hozomeen:~# cat /tmp/igmpproxy.conf
quickleave
phyint vlan1 upstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1
phyint br0 downstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1
phyint eth0 disabled
phyint eth1 disabled
phyint eth2 disabled
phyint etherip0 disabled
phyint vlan0 disabled
phyint lo disabled

I can also read that the packet is collected by the WRT:
root@Hozomeen:/proc/net# cat ip_mr_cache
Group Origin Iif Pkts Bytes Wrong Oifs
FAFFFFEF 821E0C01 -1 1 0 0

but it's not delivered inside.

Do you need some other details of my config? I'm not that good with linux cli, so please write me down the exact command I have to type.

I'm not able to check if the NAS does an IGMP query to the router. Do you know if there is a way to know it?

Again, if the NAS does not send IGMP query is it possible to configure a static join?

Thanks a lot,
Marco

P.S the NAS is a Synology DS209
Sponsor
Hozomeen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 17:14    Post subject: [UP] Re: Multicast from Wan to Lan on WRT54G Reply with quote
Hi all,
is there anybody that wants to play with multicast?

Cheers,
Marco

Hozomeen wrote:
Hi all,
I'm running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (11/02/09) std (SVN revision 13064M VINT Eko) on a WRT54G hw 1.1

My network layout is the following (plus other clients I don't mention):

SP modem---(SPsubnet)---SP IP/TV system
|
\--(SPsubnet)---WRT54G--(WRTsubnet)---NAS

That means my NAS with all the multimedia content is in an internal LAN, while the IP/TV system is in the SP LAN.
The IP/TV system is provided by the SP and has to main features: plays contents from the SP network and plays content of any UPnP system it is able to find. And the second feature is what I'm trying to have working.

To search for a local UPnP system the IP/TV system uses SSDP, and it sends a multicast discovery packet on the well known address 239.255.255.250
What I'm trying to do is to have WRT route the mutlticast packet from the wan, to my internal lan so that the NAS can answer to the request.
I've searched the forum and I've found many other threads related to this problem, but I've not been able to find a solution.

I've found that the tool I have to work with is called igmprt, and his main details are the following:

root@Hozomeen:~# cat /tmp/igmpproxy.conf
quickleave
phyint vlan1 upstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1
phyint br0 downstream ratelimit 0 threshold 1
phyint eth0 disabled
phyint eth1 disabled
phyint eth2 disabled
phyint etherip0 disabled
phyint vlan0 disabled
phyint lo disabled

I can also read that the packet is collected by the WRT:
root@Hozomeen:/proc/net# cat ip_mr_cache
Group Origin Iif Pkts Bytes Wrong Oifs
FAFFFFEF 821E0C01 -1 1 0 0

but it's not delivered inside.

Do you need some other details of my config? I'm not that good with linux cli, so please write me down the exact command I have to type.

I'm not able to check if the NAS does an IGMP query to the router. Do you know if there is a way to know it?

Again, if the NAS does not send IGMP query is it possible to configure a static join?

Thanks a lot,
Marco

P.S the NAS is a Synology DS209
robbyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Similar problem with SSDP Multicast from media player Reply with quote
I have a similar problem which appears to be filtering in the LAN -> WAN direction using a client bridge configuration.

I am running with two Netgear NWR834Bv2 routers with <DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/22/09) mini - build 12548M NEWD Eko>. One is configured as an AP, the other as a client bridge. The client bridge hosts a media player, blu-ray player and a Roku M1000.

The subnet containing the AP also hosts a media server (tversity). I am trying to get the media player on the client bridge (a D-Link DSM320RD) to get service from the media server.

The problem appears to be that the client bridge is filtering the SSDP multicast to 239.255.255.250. If the media player is on the same subnet as the media player, there is no problem.

If the media server is in my configuration (the subtended subnet defined by the client bridge), the multi casts are filtered - I have confirmed this by a capture using WireShark on both subnets.

My client bridge is just like the vanilla configuration defined in the wiki with additional change of having the Filter Multicast box cleared and SPI disabled.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

RG
Hozomeen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 16:08    Post subject: Re: Similar problem with SSDP Multicast from media player Reply with quote
robbyg wrote:
I have a similar problem which appears to be filtering in the LAN -> WAN direction using a client bridge configuration.
The problem appears to be that the client bridge is filtering the SSDP multicast to 239.255.255.250. If the media player is on the same subnet as the media player, there is no problem.
RG

yes, it's indeed the same problem. My only guess is that the client does not send any IGMP query to join the SSDP multicast group. And for this reason the router does not send the multicast packet on the other side.
I thought igmprt could behave as a subscription to any muticast group, but probably that's not the case.

Are you able to find a client that could send a bagus igmp query to 239.255.255.250? So we could try if in this case the dd-wrt behaves as a real router.

Cheers,
Marco
robbyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 17:27    Post subject: Resolved using client bridge on same firmware version Reply with quote
By reconfiguring as a real client bridge (rather than the client mode that I had previously), the problem has gone away with the multicasts transmitted through the bridge. All is working well now for me.

I realize that this won't help Hozomeen's issue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: