TX Power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
rebel4055
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:14    Post subject: TX Power Reply with quote
Hello guys been a long time reader but now I have a question that I can't seem to find anywhere. I do run DD WRT firmware on my router and I a few questions.

Now I bought aftermarket antennas for my router to get better signal downstairs but It seemed to make it worse. Now I've been seeing stuff about raising the TX power but I'm afraid to do that and mess something up.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS v4 with v24-sp2 mini.

Thanks

Michael
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 14:56    Post subject: Re: TX Power Reply with quote
rebel4055 wrote:
Hello guys been a long time reader but now I have a question that I can't seem to find anywhere. I do run DD WRT firmware on my router and I a few questions.

Now I bought aftermarket antennas for my router to get better signal downstairs but It seemed to make it worse. Now I've been seeing stuff about raising the TX power but I'm afraid to do that and mess something up.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS v4 with v24-sp2 mini.

Thanks

Michael

If you purchased high gain antennas...try lowering your Tx power...see if that helps.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
The higher the dBi of a passive omnidirectional antenna, the better its ability to "see" other antennae that are at the same elevation, and the worse its ability to see antennae at another elevation, especially those that are nearly directly beneath it. It's called a "radiation pattern" or something like that. Take a look at the patterns from antennae of several dBi to get an idea. The Tx and Rx patterns are the same.

Maybe you need to tilt your antenna to "aim" the signal where you want it.
h4x0r
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is possible that the aftermarket antenna doesn't have a good connection... try screwing it on more tightly. Also try a directional antenna on whatever you have downstairs.
rebel4055
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick replies! And sorry for posting in the wrong section. Now I was tinkering around with the settings before you guys posted and put the TX power to 84mW and changed the channel to 7. It seems to be doing fine now.
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you really sure that 84 is just what you need, not too much?

In my various eqpt., based on location, I'm using values like 1, 3, 7, 11, 15, and 31 using the methodology I've described in these posts:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=373187#373187
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=388106#388106
rebel4055
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
modervador wrote:
Are you really sure that 84 is just what you need, not too much?

In my various eqpt., based on location, I'm using values like 1, 3, 7, 11, 15, and 31 using the methodology I've described in these posts:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=373187#373187
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=388106#388106

Hmm I read both of your posts and I'll give it a go. But it doesn't seem to be affecting the speed the router reports its putting out 54mbps and my mom downstairs is at 48-54mbps. Now how would you suggest I adjust the setting?
modervador
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
rebel4055 wrote:
Now how would you suggest I adjust the setting?

I would suggest you do this:
Quote:
Somewhere in another thread, I posted a method like: keep dropping the TX power by 20-30% till you find where the connection speed goes down, then turn it up by a smaller increment till any further increase in power has no effect on speed. Obviously, simply increasing power beyond that point won't do anything good. Also, if you change your antenna, you'll have to redo the experiment, as it depends on the characteristics of the RF amp and antenna as well as their interaction as a system.
dicksons
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
orientation is a way more important factor than any setting if you're trying to get better signal "downstairs".

a flashlight with more batteries (increasing tx) or a bigger reflector (antenna) upstairs isn't going to light up the basement any better if it's not pointed that way, right ?

try sticking an antenna straight out rather that straight up.

what devices do you have downstairs ? try diddling their orientation also if you can.

does that make sense ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 23:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is just 3 wireless Pc's downstairs all the wired ones are upstairs but I just bought a 5 port switch so I can wire my moms computer up to have a wired connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: