Problem updating DDNS for NO-IP provider (V23 SP2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
lampadinha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 22:48    Post subject: Possible solution for W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED Reply with quote
Hello!

Just saw a series of topics with this error: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server, because I had the same issue on a Motorola WR850G loaded with a DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/05) std.
I have a Dyndns account which I got running for some time and then allways got this error.
My solution was to update the router time and date using a NTP server: Administration-Management-NTP client.

Hope this hint help you all.
Sponsor
InterClaw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 19:16    Post subject: Re: Possible solution for W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FA Reply with quote
lampadinha wrote:
Hello!

Just saw a series of topics with this error: W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FAILED' (0x13) when talking to IP server, because I had the same issue on a Motorola WR850G loaded with a DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/05) std.
I have a Dyndns account which I got running for some time and then allways got this error.
My solution was to update the router time and date using a NTP server: Administration-Management-NTP client.

Hey, it seems to be working...! Smile Thanks!

I'd never heard of NTP before, but I guess it's the same thing the Windows clock uses. Sort of.

Anyway, I used pool.ntp.org and the time was sure changed. Before there was like a 2 min difference from the system time in my computer.

And then the DDNS worked like nothing had been wrong all of a sudden.

Hope it keeps working. Smile
Daniel Ho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:00    Post subject: Possible port 80 blocking from ISP Reply with quote
Hi,
NB. Edited from previous post. Although it showed that it was updated, the update actually didn't work. These settings below worked instead.
I managed to solve a similar problem by re-directing the checkip process to the same url with a different port. inadyn defaults to using port 80 to check the ip. This fails when I use the default DYNDNS settings because it checks my IP using checkip.dyndns.org. Use the custom method to change this settings.

DDNS Service: Custom
DYNDNS Server: members.dyndns.org
UserName: <username>
Password: <password>
Host Name: <your_ddns_hostname>
URL: /nic/update?hostname=<your_ddns_hostname>
Additional DDNS Options: ----dyndns_system custom@dyndns.org --ip_server_name checkip.dyndns.org:8245 /

These settings worked for me using DYNDNS. This took a brick-ed router and several days to figure out. Hope it helps someone out there. Wink

Last edited by Daniel Ho on Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:32; edited 1 time in total
grokdesigns
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 15:51    Post subject: Re: Possible solution for W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_CONNECT_FA Reply with quote
lampadinha wrote:
Hello!

That worked for me as well, I used the 'time.nist.gov' time server.
berni.walzl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello.

I have the same problem with the dyndns. Now I tried to set the NTP-Server on the Administration -> Management Screen.

I set it to "pool.ntp.org" as well and it is enabled of course but the problem with the dns still exists. Then I logged on to the router via telnet and typed the unix command "date"

it says January 1 1970. When I try to set the time manually ("date -s") it will not change. Is this effect because the ntp is set?

I use Firmware: DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std on a linksys wrt54g. it is configurated as a accesspoint only behind a router. do I need to forward any port to the wrt54g?

Thank you for your help,
berni
phuque99
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you read the peacock sticky thread and consider using a more current build that may have less bugs?
zak_neutron
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 22:45    Post subject: Cannot access my dyndns account through DD-WRT v23 SP2 Reply with quote
I have followed the above thread and I still cannot get to view my router gui through my dyndns web address.

I have followed the guidance on this thread and -
[url]
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/DDNS_-_How_to_setup_Custom_DDNS_settings_using_embedded_inadyn_-_HOWTO[/url]

I am on DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std on a WRT54G (v2 I think?)

My INADYN Log shows no error messages and correctly links the dyndns address to the physical ip address

My inadyn.conf is:
Quote:
--background --dyndns_system custom@http_svr_basic_auth -u ********** -p ********* -a **********.dyndns.org --update_period_sec 360 --forced_update_period 2419200 --log_file /tmp/ddns/ddns.log --cache_dir /tmp/ddns --exec ddns_success --dyndns_server_name members.dyndns.org --dyndns_server_url /nic/update?hostname=*********.dyndns.org --dyndns_system dyndns@dyndns.org --ip_server_name checkip.dyndns.org:8245 /

* - I have replace password, usernames etc. in the above

Despite the log and conf appearing OK - my browser fails to load and refers to refused connection and traceroute on the dyndns web address appears to stop at my cable modem supplier

Help!!!
CajunWon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) when talking to IP server

Getting the same error as others. Fixes suggested so far in this thread were already set.

Seems to work every few days & was successful just yesterday morning, but retries every 5 hours with this error. I have forced update interval set to 10 days. Perhaps there is a way to set update interval to once/day instead of every 5 hours?

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
CajunWon wrote:
DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) when talking to IP server

Getting the same error as others. Fixes suggested so far in this thread were already set.

Seems to work every few days & was successful just yesterday morning, but retries every 5 hours with this error. I have forced update interval set to 10 days. Perhaps there is a way to set update interval to once/day instead of every 5 hours?

How many days does it work for you ?
Which NTP server did you enter ?

I´m testing this now with a NTP server that is near to me.
My theory is the folowing:
I´ve read this WIKI page:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Network_Time_Protocol

Don`t know if this page is actual.
What happens when the time can not be synchronized with the NTP server.
Is inadyn working then correctly ?
What NTP server uses DD-WRT when no NTP server is set ? (in the WIKI it`s "ntp2.usno.navy.mil" )
DD-WRT synchronizes the time every hour.
What happens when it can not reach the NTP server ?
Perhabs this is the real issue ?
Can i see somewhere that the time synchronize was successful ?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
NTP: time-a.nist.gov
Don't know how often it updates, but the displayed time is to-the-second in synch with my PC using the same NTP

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
When this wiki is actual, DD-WRT updates the time 24 times a day. What happens when one is not successful ?
Is this causing inadyn to output these errors ?
Time will give me the answer.
I`m using this one: 129.69.1.153 .
It`s giving me good pings back (20ms).
Actually i´m 3 hours error free...

Will give response when getting errors Wink

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 18:30    Post subject: INADYN problem with NO-IP.COM Reply with quote
Hi,
I use inadyn on a linux satellite receiver.
All is configured.
But I get this error message all the time :

INADYN: Started 'INADYN version 1.96' - dynamic DNS updater.
INADYN:IP: Error 0x83 in recv()
W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) when talking to IP server
W:'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) updating the IPs. (it 0)
INADYN:IP: Error 0x83 in recv()
W: DYNDNS: Error 'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) when talking to IP server
W:'RC_IP_RECV_ERROR' (0x15) updating the IPs. (it 1)

the times of the sat-box and the router are correct and up to date.

anyone has an idea why that error keeps on showing up ?
EEK!
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been having this problem over a year now, but never got into it. . .until now that i have setup the same router for my mom, hah.

Anyway, i'm going to look back into this and definately find a solution. Here's what i think the source of the problem is:

** The router cannot resolve hostnames to IPs. So therefore, only IP works **

Maybe not everyone has this particular issue, but i definately do. If you want to check, just SSH or Telnet into your router, and try to ping something like googl.com or yahoo.com, and you will see it does not resolve. But if you ping by IP, it does ping successfuly.

So why would this be an issue for DDNS? One of the errors i got a year ago, was that the router could not resolve "checkip.blabla.com" (i forgot the hostname). I belive the INADYN service built into DD-WRT is trying to resolve some hostsnames, but it cannot, and therefore spits out errors.

Also, if you have configuration in your DDNS settings such as:

DYNDNS Server: updates.dnsomatic.com

it will fail to to resolve that hostname, and therefore, spit out errors.

So that's my theory. I think once the router can resolve hostnames, the service will work just fine. I'll post more if i can get some more info.

EEK!
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
By the way, to fix this a year ago (on my own router), i modified the "hosts" file of my router on startup. Here's what i put:

Code:
export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin
echo '208.78.70.70 checkip.dyndns.org' >> /etc/hosts
echo '208.69.38.210' updates.dnsomatic.com >> /etc/hosts
killall -1 dnsmasq

However, please note this was a TEMPORARY solution. I never did fix the real problem (router not being able to resolve hostnames).

**EDIT** I updated the IPs noted above, as it's been a year since i checked. I updated my startup config, and the problem has gone away!! Again, it's only a temporary fix until the router can resolve hostnames on it's own.

Eicos
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:56    Post subject: DNS issues Reply with quote
EEK, if your router cannot resolve hostnames, then there's a problem with the router's DNS configuration. Try entering the OpenDNS servers (208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222) in the "DNS 1" and "DNS 2" fields on the main router setup page. That should enable your router to make successful DNS queries, and you can remove the hosts file hack.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: