Asus RT-N16 now supported

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 95, 96, 97  Next
WoodburyMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm going to have to do that. I popped mine open today to see this...

That's 100% stock. The one with the heatsink gets VERY hot and as your said the switch chip and whatever that other thing, the radio perhaps, since they get VERY hot as well.

I feal it is probally whatever that radio tx unit thing that gets hot is what is causing the dropping issue I am having..

Retired
Linksys WRT310v2 (Used as backup now that DDWRT supports it)
Linksys WRT54Gv8
Microsoft MN-700
Sponsor
WoodburyMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I have indeed confirmed the issue I have been having where on 802.11n transfers, most frequently with DDWRT and also sometimes with Asus firmware, IS HARDWARE.

Due to lazyiness and single digit temperatures this morning I didn't feel like going out to find some heatsinks, and I had none laying around my home.. then I remembered I sold my 12" Asus F9Dc laptop but still has the USB cooling pad I had for it. Turned it upside down on top of the RT-N16.. plugged it into the USB port.. Presto!! With Asus firmware I confirmed it worke fine after transfering about 5gb of into back and forth, then threw build 13637 on it.. and did the same with N speeds.. Transfering about 10mbyte/s (80mbit/) when connected at a apparent 144mbit/s speed according to windows wireless status.

So now we know why Asus REALLY put USB ports on these.....

Interesting enough, on the inside there is a USB header... With VCC, RX TX and Ground header.. standard for usb. The fan cooler I have now is 3 fans.. and i am just turning the fans on when I'm copying files over wifi at N speeds.. since that's the only time it ever overheats... but I might chop one of them off and mount it inside the router as there appears to be just enough room and power it off the USB header..

Retired
Linksys WRT54Gv8
Microsoft MN-700
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
WoodburyMan wrote:
Well I have indeed confirmed the issue I have been having where on 802.11n transfers, most frequently with DDWRT and also sometimes with Asus firmware, IS HARDWARE

Read up above per "ACE 256" that some early RT-N16s don't have a heatsink on the CPU. Just curious does yours?

Last edited by TexasFlood on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:02; edited 1 time in total
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ooops, delete me...

Last edited by TexasFlood on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01; edited 1 time in total
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ooops, delete me please, fat fingers tonight, Sad ...

Last edited by TexasFlood on Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:01; edited 2 times in total
cariyawa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
TexasFlood wrote:
WoodburyMan wrote:
Well I have indeed confirmed the issue I have been having where on 802.11n transfers, most frequently with DDWRT and also sometimes with Asus firmware, IS HARDWARE

Read above that some early RT-N16s don't have heatsink on the CPU. Just curious does yours?

Yep.. Seems like my one doesn't have a heat sink. I just ordered few heat sinks+arctic stuff to get the job done. Ahhh.... ASUS Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
TexasFlood wrote:
WoodburyMan wrote:

Read up above per "ACE 256" that some early RT-N16s don't have a heatsink on the CPU. Just curious does yours?

See the post above last of a picture of mine. It has one tiny dinky one that does not do the job at all. The switch chip and radio get very hot still.

Retired
Linksys WRT54Gv8
Microsoft MN-700
TexasFlood
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
WoodburyMan wrote:
See the post above last of a picture of mine. It has one tiny dinky one that does not do the job at all. The switch chip and radio get very hot still.

OK, thanks, saw that just spaced out that was your post. My RT-N16 is the same as yours.

Duhhh, seems not only my fingers are fat tonight, so is my head, :-D

So would seem like improved passive cooling, or even a CPU fan like Catalin, might be recommended if there is really an impact on performance as your test seems to indicate.
Catalin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
WoodburyMan wrote:

Interesting enough, on the inside there is a USB header... With VCC, RX TX and Ground header..

That is not a USB Header, is just a serial port header. You won't be able to power the fan from there, as between VCC and GND is only 3.3v and very low amps, so it's not enough power... That was my original idea, but afterwards I had to connect the fan to the original 12v power connector of the router...

I do not have any tools to accurately measure the temperatures inside, but without the fan, but with heatsinks on all 5 chipsets (cpu, ethernet controller, the 2 memory modules and the radio chips enclosure) they get I would say to at least 50 degrees C during heavy transfers on LAN and WLAN, so in my opinion a fan is necessary on the long run... Otherwise, I don't think the router will have a long life, at least without any or with just a small heatsink as it came from the factory...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
WoodburyMan wrote:
I'm going to have to do that. I popped mine open today to see this...

That's 100% stock. The one with the heatsink gets VERY hot and as your said the switch chip and whatever that other thing, the radio perhaps, since they get VERY hot as well.

I feal it is probally whatever that radio tx unit thing that gets hot is what is causing the dropping issue I am having..
The cpu gets very hot, the switch chip gets pretty warm and the radio chipset area gets a little warm though radio chips themselves get quite warm (there under the metal shield). I put thermal pads between the radio chips and the metal cover so that heat dissipated directly to the shield. I then put a heatsink on the shield. I will post safe voltage spots for fan mods when I get a chance.

The gigalan/swtich chip is in white,
The CPU is in red and the radio chipset is in yellow.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
That is not a USB Header, is just a serial port header. You won't be able to power the fan from there, as between VCC and GND is only 3.3v and very low amps, so it's not enough power... That was my original idea, but afterwards I had to connect the fan to the original 12v power connector of the router...

Interesting. Has anyone hooked up a terminal to the serial port? What can we do with that?
WoodburyMan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
blulite wrote:
Quote:

Interesting. Has anyone hooked up a terminal to the serial port? What can we do with that?

Nothing more than we can do via SSH?
Also in case of bricking. However, The RT-N16 has recovery mode in case a bad flash happens.

Thanks for pointing out it's just 3.3V.. that was my second guess. I'm using to working with just plane case headers were VCC TX RX and Ground are always USB LOL. A safe point to wire in a fan would be nice.

Retired
Linksys WRT54Gv8
Microsoft MN-700
ACE 256
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
WoodburyMan wrote:
A safe point to wire in a fan would be nice.

Yellow(+) to black(-) will give you 12v.

Red(+) to black(-) will give you 5v.

Yellow(+) to red(-) will give you 7v. Wink

Voltage.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  259.33 KB
 Viewed:  12168 Time(s)

Voltage.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
ACE 256 wrote:
I put thermal pads between the radio chips and the metal cover so that heat dissipated directly to the shield. I then put a heatsink on the shield.
I used pads I found in a old/dead PSU. Chip to shield spacing is 1.25~1.5mm. There was no noticeable change in wireless performance, but running cooler is always better. Smile

pads.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  157.21 KB
 Viewed:  12176 Time(s)

pads.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
blulite wrote:
Quote:

Always good to have the serial port, it allows you to access the router if the network isn't working (if you changed something on the settings which you shouldn't have or something not working right and you locked out the network ports) and gives you full shell access. Once you back in you can change the wrong setting back via nvram command and you won't loose all settings (good if no nvram backup exists). In addition you will be able to access the router on the CFE level if you interrupt the boot sequence with control C (erase nvram etc.).
Nice on the RT-N16 is the fact that the header is already there and you don't have to solder it on first.
If you are interested in building a cable here is some info: http://www.everythingplug.com/ttl-to-rs232-serial-port

Linksys WRT610N V1 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/07/09) big - build 13401M NEWD-2 Eko
Asus WL-500W DD-WRT V24-13575 NEWD-2 K2.6
Asus RT-N16 DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) big - build 13575M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

Own as well but not used:
2x Asus WL-520GU
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 95, 96, 97  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 26 of 97
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: