db90h author of vxworks killer officially banned

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 13:21    Post subject: db90h author of vxworks killer officially banned Reply with quote
just to clarify this action. db90h was doing vandalism within the irc by renaming hilself to stay anonymously and setting lies as irc topics

i think he did a great work but its not the first time that he was doing such stupid things and its not the right way to argue with me. he is doing a own openwrt based project right now and maybe this was the reason these things

Donator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
What was he doing?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
bad action BrainSlayer, that kind of thing just move away dd-wrt users ...

Crying or Very sad
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
he was doing the following

18:38 -!- db90h [n=kgb@68-118-87-225.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com] has joined #dd-wrt
18:39 -!- db90h is now known as ddwrtusr
18:39 -!- ddwrtusr changed the topic of #DD-WRT to: DD-WRT goes commercial on 12/01/06

then today again

16:42 >>> #dd-wrt, db90h [n=kgb@68-118-87-225.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com]
16:43 --- #dd-wrt topic by db90h: DD-WRT full edition - only $19.95

he is doing vandalism within the irc etc. he is also posting such topics under my name or better he changes it to a style that i looks like i wrote it.
this is why i disables his forum account. he still can read here under his name but not post. maybe he will create another account with another same to flood this forum with other bogus stuff. who knows

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
While he did change the irc topic I have never seen him post something under any name other than his or post it as if it where coming from you. Although I have seen you censor his posts such as this one http://pastebin.ca/208165 and left far more offensive post around. This was posted in the discussion in http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4087&highlight=tomato (which was locked shortly after this occurance) This was pastebined by someone other than myself but was given to me awhile back and not by db90h.
jshanley
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:46    Post subject: Makes Sense Reply with quote
I can understand why that action needed to be taken.

Sometimes smart people do stupid things. db90h has made some useful contributions. I do appreciate all the time, blood, sweat, and tears he's put into the vxworks stuff.However, that does not earn him the right to act like a child here/in IRC, it is disrespectful. If he really wants to do that, he can do that in his own forum as much as he'd like, and he should know better. The part I dont understand is why he would waste his good reputation on something useless like this - it only replaces people's good impression with a bad one. I hope he realizes this and the behaviour stops.

I am happy he is starting his own project, more choice is always good. He may have valid points about DD-WRT, but the post linked above is somewhat acidc; that kind of tone is very negative. When he releases his own WRT firmware, I'm sure he'd prefer constructive criticism instead of "omg this stucks, it's unstable!". The thing I think he fails to realize is this - there is no need to talk trash about someone elses project. If your project is better, more stable, prettier, or whatever - people will talk about it, and start to use it without you needing to talk trash about someone else. In other words, build something better, and people will come to you on their own, without you needing to be rude.

DD-WRT is good, free software, much better than Sveasoft's offering. Besides that, if you dont have any money, you can take BrainSlayer's work and use it completely free. DD-WRT doubles the value of your router, at no cost. It's polite to donate a few dollars, but BrainSlayer should be proud that he does not force donations for his work, and does not stoop to Sveasoft's extortion model. This is a very important difference, and it's probably part of the reason people do donate - because they are not required to, and people appreciate that. It's not right to change the IRC topic in his channel and "joke" about mandatory payments. Many people will not get the "joke", so nothing good comes from that. Show a little respect for his work. He does not insult other projects, show him the same courtesy.

I dont think BrainSlayer wants to become a "fulltime forum police officer", and search for objectionable posts - he probably would rather work on DD-WRT or something else worth his time. So if he misses some posts and notices others, well.. life goes on.

Last edited by jshanley on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:10; edited 1 time in total
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, that's sad. But why does he have the authorization to change the topic of an IRC channel? Thought only OPS could do that?

Not to defend him, but do you know it's him? I mean, every *** could change his name to his. And why would he do something like that with his reputation?

Just to clarify: DD-WRT isn't going commercial? But just a payed version for X86 (cause it's highly possible that it's going to be used by commercial companies) and ofcourse the Special version for donators (which is a good idea to encourage donating).

And ofcourse, you need to make some money. That's why I encourage donating, I mean it's a perfect piece of software and used by so many people. Donating wouldn't be a problem. And if you don't it isn't a problem either.

I still love DD-WRT and hope it doesn't go commercial, beause the open-source stratigy makes DD-WRT so valuable and I wouldn't like to see it go the horrible sveasoft way.

Just my 2 cents, keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the new builds with all the graphs etc.

[edit]
I've read http://pastebin.ca/208165 (just now cause the site was kinda dead), and he has a small point. After you guys are done with the bandwith monitor and other stuff, you should do some kind of bug-hunt. I hate to admit it but there are indeed some bugs (not that I have many, but some people do. And yes most of the time it's the users fault.)

But hell, every software conains bugs, even that x-wrt. And the amount of bugs really, I mean really, decreased from the v23 final to v23 SP2 and even further.

So basically, he's just releasing some negative puiblicity to get attention to his own firmware by pointing out some bad things of DD-WRT whilst there are so many good features and DD-WRT has grown since the v23 beta.
Good job! And keep it up.

Donater
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
its not his job todo anoucements. sure we are a company, sure we need some money to give all of this project a sense. we simply must finance all the stuff, from routers to new devices to out own income. and to make this possible we must think about some ways

the x86 registered version is made to protect dd-wrt from beeing slaughtered by 3rd persons like it is done by some companies right now i found in the world. if a enduser wants 1 or 2 registrations codes from me he will always get these. all people who are talking about this version in the x86 thread got a free activation code by me. i never charged anything for it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
And that's what I like about you're whole intention.
I indeed think that companies should pay you if they use your firmware for commercial purposes. Especially if they use the X86 version because it's a bit more powerfull.

In any way, I'm gonna order the Special version just to support you!

Donater
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
and this is whats pissing of db90. he says on this website that i will add copy protection to broadcom based too (this is wrong), i will only make future enhancements to the special edition (wrong too, the special edition should just animate donations with 2 more features)
he says that i encrypted the web gui to prevent modifications.
the truth is i compiled it into the webserver but unencrypted and the tools for doing this are included in my sources.
and all the other nice half truth things which are moved to a really nice perspektive. he clearly forces in his text users to not use DD-WRT but other ones including his project for sure
surelly i'm a slave of my ego sometimes since dd-wrt is mainly a one man show
DD-WRT is right now not just BrainSlayer. its Eko and Sylvian Bothorel

a nice quote vom Sylvian was

--->
whoooa. What have you done to this guy ! Did you "fuck his wife" ? he looks a very angry man.
He is a psychopath !
<---

mmh i hope he will stop anytime with that unserious stuff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL @ Sylvian quote, indeed what have you done to piss him off? Maybe you just made some kick ass firmware so nobody uses his.

And it's good that you clearified your plans for the future, just to clean the air. You've always said you wouldn't go the sveasoft way (which includes copy protection right?) so where is he naggin' about?

Donater
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
i do not want to charge home users. this is the background. surelly the x86 registered version has a copy protection but its clearly made for wisp's and not for end users since the hardware is expensive and single licenses for individuals are free. so i can take care with this system. up to know everyone who wanted got a activation code.

the reasons why db90h is doing this is unclear. from my point of view is angry cause i didnt follow his ideas in the past. and maybe he is jealous of it too since i got a great success and he thinks that i just take the money from the donators to live on a boart in the caribic. he clearly thinks i fool all the community by moving dd-wrt to a full comercial product and leaving the rest behind.
but it would be stupid for me todo so. the community is the thing which makes dd-wrt strong. eko, sylvian, me and chris from our company cannot be everywhere to give support etc. so we need the help from it and we give something back. additionally the community is also a way of doing marketing. people tell other people about dd-wrt etc. all together its enough to have some money for living per month.
beside this opensource stuff we are working for other companies too. installing networks, doing special dd-wrt developments. but the most developments are contributed back to the community. if you look at the current svn you will see alot of new things inside and not everything was done just as a hobby.
but whats wrong with it or small jokes like the VeryBusyBox. i vote for ignoring him, let him life in his own world and look forward what we will do next time.

the people who followed this project should know that i always discuss first before i do something which changes the way we are working. its my way of living. i always tell what i think to everyone. this brings troubles but also positive feedback

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
In http://pastebin.ca/208165

dh90h says:
Quote:

I also find it amusing that you claim there are so few bugs, but then admit that SP2 had to be updated soon after release to fix a thing as critical as JFFS2 not working?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but db90h had SVN access at that time. I'm reviewing the commits, and it seems HE was the one that introduced that bug! Unbelievable!!! He's trashing DD-WRT for something HE did... What an arrogant prick.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
cyberde wrote:
LOL @ Sylvian quote, indeed what have you done to piss him off? Maybe you just made some kick ass firmware so nobody uses his.

And it's good that you clearified your plans for the future, just to clean the air. You've always said you wouldn't go the sveasoft way (which includes copy protection right?) so where is he naggin' about?

While there wasn't copy protection (that I am aware of) it was "for private use only" not to long ago. Now when I see the x86 version will include a licensing scheme I worry that it might had back to the old way.

Looking at the license for V23 states that

Code:

the use of the "NON GPL Parts" of this firmware and the distributed source
is permitted without any charge for PRIVATE USE ONLY unless other rights are
granted by the firmware author only.

26.8.2005 Sebastian Gottschall / Blueline AG

the following features are tagged as NON-GPL

Webinterface
macupd (mac update daemon for rflow collector)
the configuration scripts and definitions within /etc/config

db90h also asked me to link his response because he has been banned and can not post it.
Code:
http:// www.bitsum [dot] com/about-ddwrt.htm

EDIT: put in code brackets so it isn't a url as per next post.

Last edited by thepeople on Fri Nov 17, 2006 19:23; edited 2 times in total
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
as you see this old text is more than one year old. i changed it a long time ago and i had a reason for it. so why flaming me for old issues?

sorry for editing the link but i dont want him within the google statistics just of my forum

Navigation

Jump to: