DIR-600 Rev A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
monte2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I opened a bug against the dhcp issue.

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/6724

While watching with tcpdump, I wasn't seeing any traffic to udp port 67 on the lan.
Sponsor
wxh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Very dumb question...if the FR-54RTR is basically rebranded DIR600A1 hardware with different software, then shouldn't the dd-wrt software for that device work as-is? I guess there are some hardware differences?
monte2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
D-Link DIR-600 A1 doesn't show up in the router database yet;
that's why we're using the OpenWRT firmware.

Rev B1 uses an Ralink cpu and wireless design; while the A1 uses an all Atheros design.

wxh wrote:
Very dumb question...if the FR-54RTR is basically rebranded DIR600A1 hardware with different software, then shouldn't the dd-wrt software for that device work as-is? I guess there are some hardware differences?
wxh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I somehow misread somewhere that the A1 version was supported as well. It sure would be great to have dd-wrt running on my two $20 Fry's routers!
chirho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for the slow update. I did notice unstable WAN connection even with chained router setup. I tried MTU1400 and it worked perfectly both way. Much thanks to monte2.

chirho wrote:
Interesting. I don't have an issue with chained router. But PPPoE is very problematic for me. Once PPP is connected, every time I run a bandwidth check my DSL modem will freeze up. The problem persists even if I restart the router. The only way to recover is to reboot the modem. If I just do web browsing it works fine. So I guess it's just an issue of heavy traffic. I tried to set MTU (before seeing your post) to the 1492, which is the one used by my old router but it didn't help. I will try it again with 1400 tonight.

monte2 wrote:
I upgraded to OpenWRT KAMIKAZE (bleeding edge, r19655), build from 2/17/2010, and I was seeing the same issue.

After trying lots of different configurations with tc and mtu, I'm finding that if I just set MTU=1400 on the wan interface it seems to be stable.

Just add the line: option mtu 1400

Under "config interface wan" in /etc/config/network.

Then reboot the router. (Restarting the network after changing mtu seems to leave the wan interface broken.)

At higher mtu settings I am able to crash the wan interface with a simple ping flood where packet data == MTU.
wxh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello, sorry if this should go to openwrt forum. I haven't been able to get registered there due to email error.

I installed openwrt snapshot and it worked fine as wired NAT router between WAN and LAN, with WAN being a dhcp client and a dhcp server on LAN-side.

However, I haven't been able to get wifi to work. Could you please give me your working wireless config file (and maybe network and firewall too?) Also, what needs to be installed/run in addition to firmware file?

One of my main goals is to get some kind of routed client (sta) mode working with wpa+aes security (not wpa2). A different subnet on LAN (NATed) with WAN basically being WiFi instead of WAN ethernet port.

I am getting invalid type for interface error when I enter wifi command. "wifi detect" gives me nothing Do I need to install wifi driver file? I believe I need to install wpa-supplicant to use wpa as client?

I would really appreciate any assistance. I know I should probably get this from the various wiki pages but I haven't been able to get it work so far doing that. Thanks.

Last edited by wxh on Sun Mar 14, 2010 18:45; edited 1 time in total
monte2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
wxh wrote:

However, I haven't been able to get wifi to work. Could you please give me your working wireless config file (and maybe network and firewall too?) Also, what needs to be installed/run in addition to firmware file?

opkg update
opkg install hostapd
opkg install kmod-ath9k
reboot

Edit /etc/config/wireless.
Code:

config wifi-device  radio0
        option type     mac80211
        option channel  1
        option macaddr  00:26:5a:ce:6c:63
        option hwmode   11g
#         option htmode   HT20
#         list ht_capab   SHORT-GI-40
#         list ht_capab   DSSS_CCK-40
        # REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
        option disabled 0

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option network  lan
        option mode     ap
        option ssid     OpenWrt
        option encryption psk
        option key    'example password'

If you are in the US, you probably want to set the channel to 1, 6, or 11.
Set disabled = 0
Set encryption = psk ("psk" is only the less secure WPA-Personal; "psk2" is WPA2-Personal)
Add a line like "option key 'example password'" under "config wifi-iface".

I had to disable "N" to work with "psk".
This meant changing "hwmode" to "11g" and commenting out "htmode" and "ht_capab".

From what I've read, you will need wpa-supplicant to run as a client. I haven't tried setting up a seperate network for wireless from wired.

Also, you may get away with hostapd-mini instead of hostapd.
monte2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot to add, run "wifi up" to turn it on.

A "reboot" will also work.

Or run "/etc/init.d/network restart" to bounce
the whole network.
wxh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks monte. I got ap mode working. However, still having trouble in sta mode. I am getting "PHY for wifi device wifi0 not found" when I try to start.

Changes I made to wireless were setting mode to sta, network to wan, and mac address to wan mac. I guess I am doing something wrong or maybe there isn't support for this mode.
monte2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
wxh wrote:

One of my main goals is to get some kind of routed client (sta) mode working with wpa+psk security (not wpa2). A different subnet on LAN (NATed) with WAN basically being WiFi instead of WAN ethernet port.

I wanted to try this out myself...

opkg update
opkg install wpa-supplicant

/etc/config/wireless:
Code:

config wifi-device  radio0
        option type     mac80211
        option channel  auto
        option macaddr  00:26:5a:ce:6c:63
        option hwmode   11g
#       option htmode   HT20
#       list ht_capab   SHORT-GI-40
#       list ht_capab   DSSS_CCK-40
        # REMOVE THIS LINE TO ENABLE WIFI:
        option disabled 0

config wifi-iface
        option device   radio0
        option network  wan
        option mode     sta
        option ssid     AccessPointSSID
        option encryption psk
        option key      'example password'

I set channel to "auto", but you can probably hardcode it.
Change network to "wan".
Change mode to "sta". (It's short for "station".)
Change ssid to the ssid of the access point you wish to talk to.

I noticed problems with wireless coming up (as a client)
when using dhcp; I found no problems when I set it to static.

If you do this, you need to set ifname to wlan0, otherwise
routing will be messed up. The DNS server I chose is one
of Google's open DNS servers.

/etc/config/network:
Code:

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname' 'wlan0'
        option 'macaddr' '00265ACE6C64'
        option 'proto' 'static'
        option 'mtu' '1400'
        option 'ipaddr' '192.168.7.10'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'gateway' '192.168.7.1'
        option 'dns' '8.8.4.4'
wxh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Shouldn't the mac address in the wireless config match the wan interface mac in the network file?

(Also, in earlier post, I meant to say "wpa+aes", not "wpa+psk". I corrected that post.)
monte2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
wxh wrote:
Shouldn't the mac address in the wireless config match the wan interface mac in the network file?

The MACs probably should match, but it doesn't matter;
the one in /etc/config/network is what ends up being used by the interface.

The MAC in /etc/config/wireless must match what is returned by wifi detect (when no /etc/config/wireless file exists),
otherwise you get the error, "PHY for wifi device radio0 not found".

wxh wrote:
(Also, in earlier post, I meant to say "wpa+aes", not "wpa+psk". I corrected that post.)

You should only have to change the encryption option to "wpa+aes" from "psk".
wxh
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, now client mode is working fine for me..changing mac fixed the PHY issue I had. I also am having no problems using dhcp client on the wifi (wan) interface. Note, I got my firmware yesterday (latest snapshot.)

Nice to have this client mode feature...something that isn't possible with the stock firmware and something that I can definitely use in a few places in my house (for example, blu-ray/TV/satellite box all have ethernet adapters.)

Edit: The snr doesn't seem to be very good when compared to linksys wrt54GS2 I have in client mode with dd-wrt. Signal also wasn't that great as AP with stock firmware.
adogfacedgod
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry to ask a very green question, but I have never used Openwrt. Is there a GUI? If not how to you make changes is it like a command prompt?
monte2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
adogfacedgod wrote:
Sorry to ask a very green question, but I have never used Openwrt. Is there a GUI? If not how to you make changes is it like a command prompt?

It does have a GUI, but for many platforms it does not come installed by default.
There are a few packages you need to install first (see page 2 on this thread).

It has a strong cli. It helps if you are comfortable with Linux/Unix environments: sh and vi.

After you load the OpenWrt image, you telnet to 192.168.1.1 and set a password with "passwd".

After that you use ssh to log into OpenWrt.

This documentation can take you a little further.
http://kamikaze.openwrt.org/docs/openwrt.html
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: