Netgear WGR614v6 running dd-wrt.v24_micro successfully!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
After I did some additional inspection of the hardware it looks like A21 is connected to VPP/WP and set high. This means that a full usage of an 8mb flash is not possible on this device. So if you were thinking of adding anything bigger then 4mb, don't waste your time and money.

Of course it is possible to find the pin on the CPU, scratch off the green layer and solder a wire from A21 to that pin Laughing.
For this, one also will need to separate the A21 from VPP on the board.
I hope people read this stuff Very Happy
Sponsor
pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
According to above... Has anyone BCM5352 cpu pinout?

BTW. I have upgraded second wgr614v6 today succesfully (4mb rom/32mb ram) Smile
Kaar3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
oh god i'm still waitig for the 2mb chips. Razz Hope they arrive soon. Smile
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK! I did some more digging and the board may actually be provisioned for an 8M chip, after all. However, is seems to be designed specifically for AM29LV640. The 8mb version of the AMD has the A21 on pin 9. The board has jumpers to route the incoming signal either to pin 9 or pin 15, which matches the the AM29LV640/320/160 specifications. Pin 15 also has a mutual jumper on R91, which suppose to bring in A19.
Since the router is functioning with a 4mb chip, it means A20 on pin 10 is routed, as well. Thus, I conclude that if AM29LV640 is used and R91 is jumpered, the 8MB flash should be possible. Assuming no other jumpers are missing anywhere on the board, of course, which I don't think is the case.
The only other chip that may function is 29GL064M. However, one problem I see is that tjtag may not support the programming of these chips. Also, I am not sure whether the flash driver in DD-WRT supports these chips, as well.
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK some more:

Jumper on R88 routes A19 to PIN9
Jumper on R89 routes A19 to PIN15
Jumper on R91 routes RY/BY to PIN15 (probably optional)

There needs to be another jumper that routes A21 to PIN9. Basically, R89 and this uknown jumper need to be installed and r88 removed for AM29LV640 configuration to work. But, I can't see where the A21 may come from and where this jumper is. Most likely it will be labeled R87, but I can't find a label like that. This will connect the chip side pad of R88 to A21.

So what I said originally may still hold. We can' not have 8Mb on this router. What confused me in the beginning is that AMD used a non standard adress pinout for lv320 and lv640 versions of chips. I looks like they changed the specs for lv320 at one point, but retained the original specs for lv640. So, I guess when they designed this board the only available preliminary specs were from AMD and they went with the standard of AMD. This threw me off, since all other chips have A21 on pin 13, but AMD put it on pin 9, which messes things up alot.
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK kids...and elderly, of course. Here is the usb pinout for the cpu. Get your grinders ready. You will need 2 15k resistors, 2 10-50 OHM resistors, a 5 volt regulated power supply or a 5v voltage regulator placed inside the router somewhere. There seems to be no 5v anywhere on the board.

I personally would advise against any cpu grinding since it is a very dangerous thing to do and the router can be easily trashed. So do not do it even if you have slightest doubts about your intellect:)

The picture is from another board. It is only provided for the pinout.
So all we need now is the A21 pin on the CPU.

usb_pinout.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.5 KB
 Viewed:  30393 Time(s)

usb_pinout.jpg

pppp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Great progress dude Smile . Does it mean that we have 2 separate usb ports?

How to use pointer resistors. It appears that 15k should pull up P/N lines to +5V and 10 ohms should be in serial with P/N lines.Am I right?
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes there are 2 ubs ports.

15k resistors go from signal lines to ground.
The signals go trough 10-50 ohm resistors out to interface, and may be omited, but better to have them for input protection.
n00beR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi there, it has been stated that the wgr614v6 is compatible with Linksys wrt54gv5.

Does this mean that a Vx_prep / VxKiller type app could be made for this router?

thanks in advance
Kaar3l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does 128mb flash work with dd-wrt?
Hynix HY27UF081G2A
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't need a vxworks killer on this router. The flash is 1 meg and needs to be changed anyway. Read the tread from the beginning.
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
This particular flash HY27UF081G2A won't work. It's an 8 bit device.
n00beR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
vaxvax wrote:
You don't need a vxworks killer on this router. The flash is 1 meg and needs to be changed anyway. Read the tread from the beginning.

I had posted this thread before the board had received any real dev time.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36438&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

As you can see the WGR614v6 I have has 2MB of flash.

I was wondering even if the header of the vxworks prep/killer files could be modded so they would be accepted by the GUI upgrade path.

Making the mod much more accessible for those that have the 2MB of flash.

Regards.
vaxvax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sure you can find a way to upload something through the web GUI which will replace the original bootloader with a normal CFE. But the question is why? The JTAG ports are there and instead of trying to circumvent the web GUI or the original firmware and almost certainly brick the router, why not just use the JTAG, erase the flash and load the CFE and the micro version of the WRT?
Also, with 2 meg flash and 8 mb ram you will have a very minimal system. You either loose: SSH, wireless encryption, busybox or some other vital piece. You will need some advanced knowledge to customize and rebuild a micro plus image to make it somewhat usable with 2mb flash. I have done this before on a router with 128 kb CFE and still was not happy. 8mb ram is also a bottle neck. You need at least 10 to make this thing run with no breaks.
n00beR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was only planning to use the device as a wireless bridge.

As far as I am aware there is additional soldering required to reconstructing the Jtag.

I was just thinking the mod would be a lot more accessible to those less experienced, if it could be done via the GUI or other apps.

I already have dd-wrt running on a wrt54gl, so it is not a critical requirement using the wgr614 router.

It was sitting in my drawer doing nothing

regards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: