CFE compressors available for some neutered Linksys units

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
CrazyHorse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 0:20    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v5.1 Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
I have a WRT54GS v5.1 here that I'd like to help test the CFE compressor with. I have a JTAG here and can easily reflash the CFE should things go wrong. What can I do?

All you need to do is edit the macs.

I've been looking for the info I need to hexedit the 128K CFE without success. Even tried searching for both CFE and hexedit but came up with > 2000 results!

thanks!
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 0:28    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT54GS v5.1 Reply with quote
CrazyHorse wrote:
barryware wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
I have a WRT54GS v5.1 here that I'd like to help test the CFE compressor with. I have a JTAG here and can easily reflash the CFE should things go wrong. What can I do?

All you need to do is edit the macs.

I've been looking for the info I need to hexedit the 128K CFE without success. Even tried searching for both CFE and hexedit but came up with > 2000 results!

thanks!

near the top of the cfe file, you will find some ascii that you can read. One parameter you need to change is et0macaddr=xx.xx.xx~. That is the mac on the sticker of your box.. The lan mac.

Shortly after et0, is il0.. il0macaddr=xx.xx.xx~

that needs to be et0+1. This is hex (base 16) not decimal base 10.

so if the mac on your sticker is 00:1b:1c:00:13:08, et0 in the cfe = that mac.

il0 = et0 + 1 so il0 = 00:1b:1c:00:13:09..

there is no 10 (ten) in hex. 09 + 1 = 0A

you must use a hex editor.. you can not use a text or ascii editor..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 0:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've now sorted out the MAC addresses, used scp and mtd to flash it, and rebooted. All seems well.

Many thanks!
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
CrazyHorse wrote:
I've now sorted out the MAC addresses, used scp and mtd to flash it, and rebooted. All seems well.

Many thanks!

What CFE did you change to make this work on a GS v5.1 unit....does your unit see all 16M of RAM.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Many thanks!

What CFE did you change to make this work on a GS v5.1 unit....does your unit see all 16M of RAM.

redhawk

I used the one contained in WRT54GS_v5.0_v5.1_v6.0_init_sdram_128_cfe.zip, and yes it does show all 16MB of RAM; typing in free shows about 13.5+ MB.

Hope this is useful information.
leandronovy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,
I read the thread and i have a Linksys WRT54G V8.0.
I can use the cfe compressor and flash with the dd-wrt.v24-14205_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin or only the dd-wrt.v24-14205_NEWD_micro-plus.bin?
Thx.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be able to use either of those after the cfe compression.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
leandronovy wrote:
Hi guys,
I read the thread and i have a Linksys WRT54G V8.0.
I can use the cfe compressor and flash with the dd-wrt.v24-14205_NEWD_micro-plus_ssh.bin or only the dd-wrt.v24-14205_NEWD_micro-plus.bin?
Thx.
You can use ether

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
cronot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:41    Post subject: count one more GSv7.2 working! Reply with quote
I know this topic has been stale for awhile, but I thought I'd chime in for those poor users who like me own a WRT54GS v7.2, that I managed to use the CFE compressor and sucessfully flash the micro_plus-ssh build 13491 (as recommended in this topic) into it, and it is working perfectly. Just follow the instructions on the readme exactly for the compressor binary and you should be fine.
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 13:39    Post subject: Re: count one more GSv7.2 working! Reply with quote
cronot wrote:
I know this topic has been stale for awhile, but I thought I'd chime in for those poor users who like me own a WRT54GS v7.2, that I managed to use the CFE compressor and sucessfully flash the micro_plus-ssh build 13491 (as recommended in this topic) into it, and it is working perfectly. Just follow the instructions on the readme exactly for the compressor binary and you should be fine.
Great to hear.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
sint
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I use a compressor on my WRT160N (4MB flash) lattest mini firmware, and have more room for either: a slightly bigger firmware, or, more room for jffs ?

Sorry if this info already posted somewhere.

-Thank you.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
sint wrote:
Can I use a compressor on my WRT160N (4MB flash) lattest mini firmware, and have more room for either: a slightly bigger firmware, or, more room for jffs ?

Sorry if this info already posted somewhere.

-Thank you.

absolutely NOT

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:53    Post subject: WAP54G V3.0 Reply with quote
I ran the cfe compressor for the wrt54g v5, 5.1 and 6.0 routers on my WAP54G V3.0 and it worked. Granted after flashing the latest NEWD micro plus build I had to disable cron and other services because the ap ran out of memory and was running at 100% cpu load. After that it works perfect. I recognized the hardware similarities between the WAP54G V3.0 and WRT54G V5.0. Because the cfe on the WAP uses 192.168.1.245 and not 192.168.1.1 (which I forgot at the time) I got frustrated and tried the compressor through the web gui with predictable results. Fortunately I made a cfe backup prior to this and had a working jtag cable. Reloaded the good 256k cfe then tftped the compressor to the unit. It worked and set the cfe ip address to 192.168.1.1. At which point I tftped the current (10/26/2010) NEWD plus micro build to it.

*I have yet to test to see if the web gui firmware updater works correctly with the new cfe.

*It appears some of the board related parameters as well as vlan info are changed but the unit runs as if nothing changed.

cfe.bin
 Description:
Original unmodified CFE for comparison.

Download
 Filename:  cfe.bin
 Filesize:  256 KB
 Downloaded:  1084 Time(s)

CFE128.BIN
 Description:
Here is the new cfe if anyone cares to examine it.

Download
 Filename:  CFE128.BIN
 Filesize:  128 KB
 Downloaded:  1117 Time(s)

chrfrost
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
CrazyHorse wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Many thanks!

redhawk

I used the one contained in WRT54GS_v5.0_v5.1_v6.0_init_sdram_128_cfe.zip, and yes it does show all 16MB of RAM; typing in free shows about 13.5+ MB.

Does this mean that the micro plus edition works for the wrt54gs v5.1?
Donny
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
chrfrost wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:

Many thanks!

redhawk

Does this mean that the micro plus edition works for the wrt54gs v5.1?

NO!

Peacock Thread Sticky- Just read it! (Anyone using SP1 will be taken out back and shot)
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 13
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: