WRT320N Debrick / Pin Short / Serial Console

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Doemer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 14:07    Post subject: WRT320N Debrick / Pin Short / Serial Console Reply with quote
Hi Guys

I bricked my WRT320N last Friday when I did a 30-30-30 reset after a proper flash. I red the Peacock Thread and tried to bring it back to life without success.

I opened the router and tried the short pin trick with a security needle (many times and also several times with help from my girlfriend) but it did not work.

Finally I wrote a mail to the debrick service and received immediatly a message from Eko (thx a lot) who encouraged me to try the short pin thing some more times and asked if I have the possibility to use the serial console.

I don't have much technical know how and I don't know how to get access over the serial console or what I would have to do to establish a serial connection to the router.

Some hours ago someone else asked for explanation for that in the WRT320N thread and was told to open a new thread for it. I decided to do it for him because I am really interested to get my linksys back to life :D

If this should allready been explained step by step in the peacock thread I am sorry. I was searching for it but didn't found a thread according to this thematic.

Thx a lot for your help

Greetz from switzerland

Doemer
Sponsor
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi...

you will need a serial to ttl adapter. The "serial port" of the router is not like a serial port on a computer. The computer uses rs232 signal, the router uses ttl (transistor to transistor logic) and must be 3V (3.3). Many are 5V

The adapters are quite inexpensive to buy (in the US). You can purchase (or build) a usb adapter or a serial (db9) adapter.

After that, you can use a program like hyperterminal (my favorite) or putty on your computer to communicate with the router.

Then just follow the instructions on the 1st page of the 320 support thread to erase nvram. That may solve your problem. If not, you will have to flash a new kernel using the serial console and a freeware ftp server.

I believe there are pics of the pcb on the forum. If not, take a pic of the top of the board and the bottom and we will point out the serial connection points. I believe you will find 5 pads close to the edge of the pcb either on top, or on the bottom.

Before you purchase a ttl adapter, post a link of what you are going to buy. I would post a link or two but it might not do you any good in Switzerland.

Don't be scared..

Edit:

Here are the pics of the board (fcc). if you look, near the edge of the pcb on the bottom, you will see 5 pads. That is the serial connection.

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1050961&native_or_pdf=pdf

This is the ttl adapter I use:

http://alldav.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=11
Doemer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey barryware

thx so much for your help. the dollar is so cheap atm I think I will order exactly this adapter and try it as soon as it arrives here. approximatly in around 8 days what will give me enough of time to test it over the xmas holidays.

thx a lot

greetz from switzerland

Doemer
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Doemer wrote:
hey barryware

thx so much for your help. the dollar is so cheap atm I think I will order exactly this adapter and try it as soon as it arrives here. approximatly in around 8 days what will give me enough of time to test it over the xmas holidays.

thx a lot

greetz from switzerland

Doemer

Good luck..

Here is a link to a thread where a few of us worked on flashing the kernel via serial. Hopefully, you will just need to erase nvram but incase you need to flash the kernel.. Read through the complete thread if you wish.. This may insure you don't make the same mistakes I (we) did.

On page 3 of the thread, is a link to tftp server software that would be needed to flash the kernel. You don't have to use this software, any tftp server will do. This is freeware. Redhawk0 linked me to it in a different thread.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59397&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=47
bkaler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
bought a TTL adapter too, hopefully it'll turn my 100$ investment back, or I'm out 110 on a whim that it will help me. Grounding the gpio6 did not work for my router, even tried grounding to my true earth ground (can you tell I'm not an electrician yet?)
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
It depends on exactly what part of the flash is fubar for that to work..

Good luck to you guys..
bkaler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
mine was fixed by using the 30 second reset trick (seemed to kick in after 30 seconds and didn't require additional 60 second on/off cycle)

I can't say for sure the grounding worked, however I had tried the 30/30/30 before trying to ground and was not successful. So it looks like it may have contributed, but was not a fix in itself. I'd suggest trying the 30 second reset if you've already grounded gpio6.

I already ordered the console obviously so that will be handy should subsequent failures occur, which for the 320n seems to be a necessity.
Doemer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok thx for the hint bkaler. will give it a try too.
Doemer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi its me again :)

I gave the router to a friend who has more experience in soldering and stuff like this. He found the connectors on the PCB but he asked me to ask here how those points need to be connected to the converter.

thx for your help
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
vcc (3.3v), tx, rx, n/c, ground

use an ohm meter or look closely, you can tell which end pad is ground.

115200, 8, 1, n, no flow control

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
soo Very Happy my friend soldered yesterday and after a few attempts it started blinking and dd-wrt started. I immediatly did an update to the newest build to have the nvram erase button option Smile

thx a lot for your help and have a good evening
gkorte
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:56    Post subject: Using original Nokia CA-32 Reply with quote
Just a small giveback.

When using the original Nokia CA-42 cable you need to connect the following pins between the Serial port and the Nokia CA-42 cable:

WRT320N CA-42
Pin 1-> Pin 4 Used to power the CA-42 cable
Pin 2-> Pin 7
Pin 3-> Pin 6
Pin 5-> Pin 8

Pin 1 is important as the CA-42 does not get it's power from the USB port but from the device. Took me about a hour to figure this out.

Hope this helps someone
lost+found
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe helpful info for Linux users... I managed to debrick the WRT320N using a Nokia DKU-5 cable, USB TI 3410/5052 Serial Driver (module in the Linux kernel), CuteCom, and atftp (no linksys password needed).

Cheers!

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
catseatcats wrote:
Can you post which pin are TX, RX & GND?I will try to fix My brick TP-LINK router with it.

They are different on each router. Square should be positive. Ground has continuity to ground (antenna etc.) The other two are trial and error. This thread is about a 320N, so the info here will likely not apply. Yours might not even have a serial connection....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
catseatcats wrote:
lost+found wrote:
Maybe helpful info for Linux users... I managed to debrick the WRT320N using a Nokia DKU-5 cable, USB TI 3410/5052 Serial Driver (module in the Linux kernel), CuteCom, and atftp (no linksys password needed).

Cheers!

Can you post which pin are TX, RX & GND?I will try to fix My brick TP-LINK router with it.

I cut off and stripped the phone connector with a small knife to discover the pinout. Colors might differ per manufacturer.
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhonesCables/nokia_dku-5_cable_pinout.shtml
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-Nokia/nokia_pop_pinout.shtml

pin 1: not on connector!
pin 2: GND (white on my cable)
pin 3: not needed (yellow on my cable)
pin 4: V Out, probably not needed; 3.3V (green on my cable)
pin 5: not used
pin 6: RX (red on my cable)
pin 7: TX (blue on my cable)
pin 8: not used (but could be GND instead of pin 2)
pin 9: not used
pin 10: not used
pin 11: not used
pin 12: not used
pin 13: not used
pin 14: not used

For the WRT320N, I opened the router case, but this model has a debug adapter inside the WAN port too.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=384470#384470

I didn't solder, but pressed the wires to the board using a match and a wooden clothespin.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=254697#254697
This picture shows the WRT610N, but looks similar to the WRT320N. I attached the wires in this order (top-down): green, blue, red, nothing, white. Use of CuteCom is like HyperTerminal in above thread. The command for atftp is somewhere in the Wiki.

Good luck!

Last edited by lost+found on Fri Apr 09, 2010 19:48; edited 2 times in total
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: