Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
lawnmowerguy1 wrote:
In http://pastebin.ca/208165

dh90h says:
Quote:

I also find it amusing that you claim there are so few bugs, but then admit that SP2 had to be updated soon after release to fix a thing as critical as JFFS2 not working?!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but db90h had SVN access at that time. I'm reviewing the commits, and it seems HE was the one that introduced that bug! Unbelievable!!! He's trashing DD-WRT for something HE did... What an arrogant prick.

this is really interesting. i never saw this. i just fixed it.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was not intended as a flame just information about what has happened not to far in the past.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.. -George Santayana
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
i can remember and i changed this file a long time ago. just to prevent situations like these. from your point of view its never possible to correct own misstakes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
This file still isn't changed in the downloads of V23 if that is what you are referring to. It is possible to correct your mistakes but with some of the current actions seen in the x86 environment it makes me wonder is all.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
its outdated in the history. so its not the offical current statement. nobody has to be afraid here of a paid only broadcom version.
right now we just think about if we include the ethernet over ip tunnel in the special edition only or in all distributions. but the bandwith monitor for example will be included in all versions

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 0:25    Post subject: Just my 2 cents... Reply with quote
Well I went to his site because I was curious. I thought what he had to say was well said and concise. It probably had some merit as he was much closer to the project then most of us here.

I am a self proclaimed newbie here but I love DD-WRT. I have two things to say about it. I think that he should be heard regardless of his opinion as long as he doesn't end up being a baby about it and start spamming the forum.

The last thing I will say (and the most important) is that I love my DD-WRT and I just donated $50 to give my share. ...Looking forward to v24 with kaid support...Ha!

Just my 2 cenys. Wink
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I sense a bit of rivalry in all this actually. I don't know dh90b, not have ever participated in any forum conversation with him, but I've seen his work, and frankly, he has helped this project considerably. His mention on Slashdot regarding the WRT v5-6 flashing practically made DD-WRT an everyday word for many more people. I would never use those wimpy v5+ routers, but hey, a LOT of people do!

With that said, Most good programmers rarely see eye to eye on any issue it seems, and this seems a classic case. This is not a competition to see who's the best programmer, or better software morals, but more a difference in opinion, and perhaps a bit of jealousy.

Brian, shame on you for banning him from the Forum for an IRC incursion. Thats along the lines of a George W. Bush.'ism......which if it's still not clear....destroy democracy.

I went back and read though what db90s posts read, and yes, although db90 was harsh at times, he still may have had a valid point on some things. I'm a musician on the side, as you are, and I have learned to take any criticism and improve on it, not tell the person to shut up.

Here's more on how it seems on this end of the pond:

- You have a wonderful project here. I have enjoyed experimenting with the x86 version as much as I did when I first discovered GPL Linux in 1997. It's very close to prime-time, but still needs a bit of work and additions (ie. MTU setting for PPTP server), IMO.

- The main thing I love about Linux is the ability to change things, experiment, and change more things.

- One thing I don't like about DD-WRT is the source tree (and I agree with dh90 here). Presently, I cannot compile the x86 version, and more recently, any of the builds from the svn, including v24 firmwares. This shoves a wedge into my fun.

I have donated $$ to you, and will continue to do so. I just ask you follow the GPL and allow users to modify/compile the source without jumping through so many damn hoops.

You have told us that you need to "protect yourself" against people selling routers on ebay with DD-WRT pre-installed. Actually, it's not morally right for them to do so, but it IS legal, as long as they supply the source code, which none to my knowledge do. The beauty of it is, many of those people who buy those routers will eventually end up here, and many may donate.

Ultimately, it's a win-win situation for you.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
forum2006 wrote:
I think DD-WRT is going the commercial way because there are a few indicators like no more new dev builds, no v24 mini build, x86 full version is already availiable only if you pay for it, ...
Have you read the forum? v24 builds are under development, and if you just payed attention, you'll know that the sources are available in the SVN tree. So you could compile your own.

x86 is available for us. Like BrainSlayer told in the x86 forum. Registred users on the forum will get a key for free, you just have to PM him.

And opensource doesn't suck... Does firefox suck? No... I could continue but I won't...

Donater
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
@forum2006. this is not true. there are dev builds posted here in the forum. you just need to search for it.
but until the new dev tree is stable and the features are complete it makes no sense to release it officially on the download site. consider how many people are bricking routers just by playing with untested builds etc.

the build system within the svn may not be the best. i know the various problems. but if its one time working its working. i have no special scripts here on my build computer. its just a svn dump and its compiling well every night

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey all

Just have to say that I'm glad that the unstable builds are not freely available for download at the moment. I have seen people in the past do some unbelievable stuff with completely stable firmwares in the past. Things that you would think were impossible. I'm a firm believer in that nothing is foolproof.

I'll admit that I havent looked deep into the alpha / beta availability but from what I have read the folks here are good enough to provide for testing if you ask (though I may be speaking out of term there).

I'm not ranting so dont read this as such, but this is all free. You can donate to keep it all going, but for the sake of the argument its still free. If there are any issues with using the open source firmware version then dont ... continue to use the OEM.

At the end of the day we are all here for the same reason and as such should all "play nice" and shouldn't make false statements.

I'm grateful for all those who spend time testing and coding so that I may squeeze more bang for my buck out of the kit I bought.

Just want to say thanks for those who make it all happen, and I hope that these kinds of situations don't pop up again in the future.
insure_it
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
ummmm..... isnt this a 'modified' twist of what BS is being accused of doing?http://www.bitsum.com/smf/index.php?topic=165.0

You know although I agree db90h was a great asset to DD-WRT his overly defensive attitude almost resembles a young childs rantings for attention. But thats just my 2 cents. Wink

Internal amp. activated
operating @ 170mW(no heat problems for the past 4 months)
Converted Primestar Dish: range aprox. 2670 meters
crazycracker
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got BrainSlayer's back anytime anyplace against anyone.
malves
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is a simple case of someone who was graciously mentored turning on their mentor to further their own projects. In this case X-WRT is the flavor of the month for what he is part of now. Any attempt to derail this ambition and the "spin" will fly at you with everything possible. Since the GPL v1 and GPL v2 are somewhat interpretive in some areas he used his own facts and applied them to certain sections of the GPL that were the weakest in exploitation to try and make the DD-WRT project seem proprietary and shady causing FUD (Fear, misUnderstanding, and Distrust). It is a common ploy with those who want to make their own projects seem the best and only way to do things. I think Microsoft showed him the way and also the Sveasoft fiasco. Everyone deserves compensation for work whether thru donations or licensing. The GPL does not forbid this. The source code is provided and nowhere within it does anyone take credit for another's work as was stated in dh90b's soapbox speech. VeryBusyBox is a derivative of Busybox and is stated as such. The original author of Busybox gave permission for this which is allowed.

This is malves and I authorize this message. Wink

BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
the VeryBusyBox was just a joke since i added some stuff inside. dd-wrt has to deal with propertiery stuff too since broadcom does provide many things like the drivers as propertiery binaries or sources only. this is something i cannot override at all and i have to live with it

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:13    Post subject: Who Iz Brian ? Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:

Brian, shame on you for banning him from the Forum for an IRC incursion. Thats along the lines of a George W. Bush.'ism......which if it's still not clear....destroy democracy.

Who the hell iz Brian ?? Do you mean BainSlayer ? Learn to read you silly dipshit Embarassed. BRAINSLAYER, as in - He is very smart and will kick yer ass with his BRAIN ! Your comparing him to George FUCKING Bush is what immediately designated you, Lexridge, as the ASS HAT of the year. You have no clue what you are talking about. DB90h was a looser from the first post he made. At the time I had my own issues with DD-WRT, and used that as a reason to stay on DB90h's ass about his George Bush like "control the world" attitude. If you take a minute to read some old postings, you will see what I mean Shocked. If DB90h was such a wizzard, he would also know how to behave himself, and would still be making $280 thousand a year as a "Low Level Windows Programmer" with Microsoft. They obviously fired him for the same stupid shit that got him banned from this web-site. DB90h, if you are reading this, FUCK YOU. I told you so 100 times !! You are a stupid fucking hill-billy from tinnie sea, and I called it first. Lexridge, you've got yer head up yer ASS. Pull it out. Idea

http://69.175.13.131:8015 Streaming Week-End Disco. Station Ripper V 1.1 will do.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: