Bricked my WNR3500L. How to unbrick?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Andy120
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 19:17    Post subject: Bricked my WNR3500L. How to unbrick? Reply with quote
I installed the wrong firmware in my WNR3500L. Now the power led is constantly orange (not blinking).
When pinging, i receive TWO responses from 192.168.1.1 with ttl=100 just at power on, then no more pings. All attempts to use TFTP have failed (although i only used Win7 and server 2008).
Unit does not have serial connector inside so unbricking with USB-TTL seems impossible.
Have tried Netgear Firmware Recovery Utility, but "unit does not respond".

So... what to do? Since i do get 2 ping responses, it is not completly dead in my opinion.

Would appreciate all help!
Sponsor
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep trying to get the timing right, and get an XP computer to try with. See number 11 of the peacock announcement and flash exactly according to those instructions.

In the end, if you can't flash by the LAN port, you will either have to jtag or serial. See number 6 of the peacock announcement for links to further info on each of these.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a bricked WNR3500v2 that behaved the exact same way. Windows Vista and Windows 7 are known to be almost impossible to use for TFTP recovery of a router that does not have boot wait enabled.

That being said, I was able to easily recover using TFTP from another operating system. I use Ubuntu, however if you are not comfortable with Linux then Windows XP should also do the trick.

Keep in mind that even though those operating systems give you a much better chance of pulling it off, it is still all about timing. It may take a few tries.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: