Testing for ping issues on WNDR3700/WRT54GS Repeater-Bridge

MrPisky
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:10    Post subject: Testing for ping issues on WNDR3700/WRT54GS Repeater-Bridge Reply with quote
Hello,

I am new here, but I've been trying to do my homework on things and I'd like to see if someone can help me work through some ping issues on my setup.

I have a WNDR3700 main router with stock firmware (wish it were DDWRT!) and a Linksys WRT54GSv1.0 running dd-wrt.v24-13064_VINT_mega.bin as a repeater-bridge based on the DDWRT Wiki instructions. I have also attached a diagram of my network setup.

I'm having some odd, maybe intermittent ping problems with the wireless laptop #1 connection through the repeater. It can ping out to and see several other devices on the network, including the main router, workstations #1 and #2, but it can't ping itself and it can't ping workstation #3. Laptop #1 and workstation #3 are on the same workgroup (not homegroup). They can "see" each other, but neither can browse the other. All regular file sharing is turned on and password file sharing is off.

One thing I noticed is that the actual MAC ID of laptop #1's wireless adapter does NOT show up on the attached device table on the main router. Instead, the device table shows a blend of the laptop's DHCP-assigned IP address and the appropriate computer name, but has the WRT54GS Repeater's MAC address. This may very well be correct, but I just thought it was a bit odd and wanted to make sure.

If I have missed anything that is necessary to post, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll review the posting rules to see if I have overlooked anything. Thank you in advance!

P.S. One thing about the Netgear is that it seems to have a pseudo-static IP route capability in addition to the regular static routes. You can do an IP reservation in the DHCP section, so you don't have to configure the device as "static", you still let the DHCP server assign the IP, but in doing so, it "fixes" the assignment as if it were static. Either that, or I just don't understand how it all works.

MrPiskyNetwork.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.7 KB
 Viewed:  3768 Time(s)

MrPiskyNetwork.JPG

Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: