dd-WRTs keep trying to get 192.168.1.1?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jonheese
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 18:59    Post subject: dd-WRTs keep trying to get 192.168.1.1? Reply with quote
Forgive me if this is a n00b question; I tried searching, but found no leads. I may not have used the best search terms though...

I have a number of clients for whom I've installed dd-WRT'd WRT54GLs, and I'm having a slightly annoying issue at a couple of them (and probably more than that, although I've only noticed it on two so far).

They are running v23 SP2 (I know it's old, they were installed a long time ago when that was the current version) with a build date of 09/15/06.

In both locations, the dd-WRT has a LAN IP of 192.168.1.254, and the Windows server on-site (AD, Exchange, etc.) has a IP of 192.168.1.1. And in both locations, the dd-WRT periodically (no discernible pattern to this, sometimes once a month, sometimes 3 times in a minute) tries to take the 192.168.1.1 IP address. I know this because the server warns me that there was an IP address conflict, and when I check the event logs, I can see by the MAC address that the offending device is in fact the dd-WRT.

I looked through all of the settings on both routers, and I can't seem to find any setting that would conceivably cause it to try and take this additional IP every so often.

Now, I know this is an old firmware, and most likely the best solution is to upgrade to the current recommended firmware and see if it still happens, but I'm genuinely curious to see if this is a bug or a misconfiguration on my part first. It's not actually causing any outage or downtime, it's just causing a nagging message to appear on the server consoles.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Jon Heese
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's likely that the router was rebooted and during the short time that the CFE was active it responded on its default IP of 192.168.1.1.
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
By default, DD-WRT is set to take the 192.168.1.1 address. Unless the physical address is actually changed on the router, this is what is happening. Since it appears that your server has that number first, then appearantly DD-WRT is stepping aside.

So the next question would be, what is the IP address for DD-WRT set at in the basic setup page?

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
blaughtmon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonheese...Yes the first thing that you should do is update the firmwares because there have been security issues with older builds. So that is the first thing I would recommend.

As for the conflict problems. What I would do is set the LAN IP on the DD-WRT router to 192.168.1.1 and set the DHCP server as 192.168.1.2. Make sure DHCP is turned OFF on the router. Within Windows Server you can exclude certain machines from getting certain IP addresses. Exclude your DD-WRT router within the DHCP scope options so the server knows not to hand out IPs to that device. Also set the scope to hand out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100 so it can't even hand out addresses below that start address. This should resolve your problems.
jonheese
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I apologize for the delay in responding here, I was under the impression that I would be notified by e-mail when my post was responded to, and I didn't receive any notifications, so I thought it was still un-replied, until I checked it just now...

crashfly wrote:
So the next question would be, what is the IP address for DD-WRT set at in the basic setup page?

The LAN interface is set to take the IP 192.168.1.254, of course, and the WAN interface is set to take the appropriate public IP for each location in question. The 192.168.1.1 address appears nowhere in the DD-WRT web interface as an IP address that the router should take on.

blaughtmon wrote:
jonheese...Yes the first thing that you should do is update the firmwares because there have been security issues with older builds. So that is the first thing I would recommend.

Okay, I'll do that as soon as I can get a tech out to the locations where we have these (don't like doing firmware upgrades without someone on-site). Thanks.

blaughtmon wrote:
As for the conflict problems. What I would do is set the LAN IP on the DD-WRT router to 192.168.1.1 and set the DHCP server as 192.168.1.2. Make sure DHCP is turned OFF on the router. Within Windows Server you can exclude certain machines from getting certain IP addresses. Exclude your DD-WRT router within the DHCP scope options so the server knows not to hand out IPs to that device. Also set the scope to hand out IP addresses starting at 192.168.1.100 so it can't even hand out addresses below that start address. This should resolve your problems.

Wait... So you think that the Windows DHCP server is handing out the 192.168.1.1 address to the DD-WRT? I can assure you that this is definitely not happening. The DHCP servers are set to never give out the addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10 (i.e. exclusions are in place), and the LAN interfaces on the DD-WRTs are not set to use DHCP to get an IP address.

The DHCP scope on the Windows servers are set up the way they are for specific reasons, and I'm not convinced that deviating from our current setup there will solve this problem, although I know for sure that following your instructions will break a handful of other things on our network.

Any other ideas on how to avoid this?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jon Heese
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
It's likely that the router was rebooted and during the short time that the CFE was active it responded on its default IP of 192.168.1.1.

ps. if you want email replies then click the "watch this topic" link at the bottom or check "Notify me when a reply is posted" when creating a post. You can enable it by default in your profile settings if you wish.

jonheese
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:

Right, but how do I stop it?

phuzi0n wrote:
ps. if you want email replies then click the "watch this topic" link at the bottom or check "Notify me when a reply is posted" when creating a post. You can enable it by default in your profile settings if you wish.

Yeah, I already checked the box in my profile to notify me when the topic was replied to back when I originally posted. It turned out to be my local junk filter throwing away the notifications. One problem solved, thanks. :)

Regards,
Jon Heese
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
jonheese wrote:
phuzi0n wrote:

Right, but how do I stop it?

First confirm that it is what's happening by rebooting the router a few times and checking the log. If that is the cause then the only solution is to change the Windows Server's IP or just live with the momentary conflict.

jonheese
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
First confirm that it is what's happening by rebooting the router a few times and checking the log. If that is the cause then the only solution is to change the Windows Server's IP or just live with the momentary conflict.

Okay, will do.

If that's the case, I'll just live with it. Like I said, it's just annoying; doesn't cause any actual hard issues.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Jon Heese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: