URGENT NOTICE FOR WRT320N USERS: PLEASE READ!!!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Borat wrote:
Sten,

I also didn't load dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin on top of dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin for the same reason - I believe they are identical except for the header information.

bbb_forever may be able to point out if this is wrong.

Anyway, I've had no problems, so I think this is totally fine.

First, I do NOT know the answer to your inquiry.

All I can say is that there must be a good reason why there are two mini builds. Otherwise, there would only be ONE _mini_wrt320n.bin build that everyone could use to install DD-WRT and stay on the mini.

But I do NOT think the developers intended for users to stay on the mini_wrt320n build for prolonged use.

It could be missing some key values or have disabled functions, or whatever, in order to support the header information. You would have to look at the code to find out for sure.

Instead of looking at the code, I just followed the developer's instructions to upgrade again to another build variant (because I wanted to make sure everything went smoothly, and I didn't want any complications to develop). So I choose to upgrade to the other _mini build because it was provided as a separate file.

If you deviate from the suggested upgrade path, then you will possibly increase the risk that things might go haywire or that a future upgrade MIGHT NOT GO AS SMOOTHLY as you might want.

Think of it like this:
Your friend gives you instructions to get to a destination1. You follow it halfway, but then you decide to take a detour and not finish the instructions.
You may still arrive to the destination1, or you could end up on at destination2 and find yourself getting a flat tire because the detour went through a construction site and a nail punctured your tire.

And when you call your friend to get help, he cannot help you because you took a different path that he does NOT know.

It will take much longer for your friend to go and find you in order to bring you to the destination1.

This is NOT some natural biology stuff. This is all man-made stuff. It DOESN'T have to make sense. I just accept it and do it if I want to avoid problems.

But if you like (or have the time to deal with potential problems), then you can do as you please.

Good luck!

Last edited by bbb_forever on Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:36; edited 10 times in total
Sponsor
Borat
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Naturally there is a difference - the build with 320 in the name is called a "trailed build" -- the header is different so that it can be loaded initially via the original Linksys firmware.

The version without 320 in the name is functionally the same firmware - just without the "Linksys header" - but the functionality is the same. Once you have a DD-WRT firmware in your router, you don't need to use a trailed build - in fact I think you can't/shouldn't use a trailed build.

That's also why there are multiple trailed builds (Linksys versions, buffalo versions, etc...) - depending on what factory firmware is in the router, you need a different "trailed" build that will be accepted by the factory firmware.

I'm about to get on a flight so I can't find the post right now, but somewhere on the forum is an explanation of trailed builds.

For example, the 2nd post on this page gives a brief description, I've seen a more complete explanation but I don't have time right now:

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61141&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=2f539f0ed615d80d034c5cf49d6e21b7

bbb_forever wrote:
Borat wrote:
Sten,

I also didn't load dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin on top of dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin for the same reason - I believe they are identical except for the header information.

bbb_forever may be able to point out if this is wrong.

Anyway, I've had no problems, so I think this is totally fine.

First, I do NOT know the answer to your inquiry.

All I can say is that there must be a good reason why there are two mini builds. Otherwise, there would be just ONE _mini_wrt320n.bin build.

But since there is also a _mini.bin build, there must be a need or reason to keep it separate.

I just try to accept to follow the developer's instructions to install it (without asking too many why? why? why? questions) because this is all man-made stuff. It does (or doesn't) have to make sense, just do it if you want to avoid problems in the future.

I do NOT think the developers intended for users to stay on the mini_wrt320n build for prolonged use. It may be missing values or have disabled functions to do this or that, or whatever. You would have to look at the code to find out yourself.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Borat wrote:
Naturally there is a difference - the build with 320 in the name is called a "trailed build" -- the header is different so that it can be loaded initially via the original Linksys firmware.

The version without 320 in the name is functionally the same firmware - just without the "Linksys header" - but the functionality is the same. Once you have a DD-WRT firmware in your router, you don't need to use a trailed build - in fact I think you can't/shouldn't use a trailed build.

That's also why there are multiple trailed builds (Linksys versions, buffalo versions, etc...) - depending on what factory firmware is in the router, you need a different "trailed" build that will be accepted by the factory firmware.

I'm about to get on a flight so I can't find the post right now, but somewhere on the forum is an explanation of trailed builds.

For example, the 2nd post on this page gives a brief description, I've seen a more complete explanation but I don't have time right now:

http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61141&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=2f539f0ed615d80d034c5cf49d6e21b7

Thanks, the "trailed builds" makes sense to me.
And it explains the reason why both builds are provided.
coldib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, just a push of my recently asked question!

Quote:

Just another question:

I installed dd-wrt mini as described in the previous threads. Is it now possible to switch from mini to big?

Do I need to reset to default and so on?

bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
coldib wrote:
Sorry, just a push of my recently asked question!

Quote:

Just another question:

I installed dd-wrt mini as described in the previous threads. Is it now possible to switch from mini to big?

Do I need to reset to default and so on?

Yes, you can switch from mini to big.

It is "recommended" to reset to default before switching to avoid problems later on that might develop from switching to different build numbers in the future.

A reset basically establishes a known pre-set baseline to work from, i.e. a condition where all the settings are known and can be reproduced again by others to test from.

But I've found in my own testing and flashing to different builds that it's NOT necessary if you're switching from mini to big.

But I would reset to default if I were moving from big to mini. The reason is that Big has more functions which can change values in memory (NVRAM or whatever). Those functions or values may (or may not) be accessible in the Mini build.
coldib
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for that very precise answer!
tdamocles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can one flash onto the newest firmware build of 1.0.03?
mifronte
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 23:13    Post subject: Does the WPS fix applies to BrainSlayer builds? Reply with quote
Just to be sure, does the Eko WPS fix applies to the most BrainSlayer builds too? Specifically build 13832.
Dutchman01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 16:03    Post subject: Re: Does the WPS fix applies to BrainSlayer builds? Reply with quote
mifronte wrote:
Just to be sure, does the Eko WPS fix applies to the most BrainSlayer builds too? Specifically build 13832.

Yes you can also use the

http://dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/03-24-10-r14144/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-14144_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin

Al new builds has this fixed.
lovswr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
BBB_forever, your instructions worked wonderfully. Especially the part about Comcast (I am a new Comcast subscriber). That was like the icing on the cake. Thank you & Kudos!
gotchi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
hi all together,

I am now little confused, reading through the forum and some other sites, I do not know which firmware would now be the best and working one for mein wrt320n which is not running on:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) vpn - build 13575M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

so I wanna do an upgrade if there is one Smile
gotchi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
can somebody clear that out for me ?
jpkennedy2000
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 14:11    Post subject: URGENT NOTICE FOR WRT320N USERS: PLEASE READ!!! Reply with quote
I bought a used WRT320n off of Amazon for $50USD.I installed "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (01/02/10) big" and it worked fine for a few days as an AP, Client, and Client Bridge. When i attempted to change some of the settings to test it as a repeater, it was bricked after the reboot (power light flashing but no response from the router.) I tried 30-30-30 and nothing.I tried to short GPIO6 to ground several times, but no response. I considered purchasing a serial to ttl adapter but hadnt yet. I noticed the power adapter Amazon gave me was not enough current. Device is rated 12V 1 AMP. Amazon gave me a 12V .5AMP pwer supply (too small) I tried a 12V .8Amp i had laying around (no response) I accidentally plugged in a 19 V 3.2 AMP (thinking for some reason it was a 12V) AMAZING, THE ROUTER STARTED UP AND IS WORKING AGAIN WITH DD-WRT. I switched back to the .8AMP 12 Volt and it is working fine. THe high voltage must have forced a reset or tripped something (I dont know) I am not reccomending (and never would) plugging in a power supply that is incorrect voltage, just letting you know that it worked for me (and I am very happy about this!!!) Also, pay attention to make wure ur supply is big enough supplied with the used routers. Under power is a bad thing for electronics
fallout330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Interesting result jpkennedy!

Thanks for the guide bbb_forever, the install went great. I followed your steps and it went smoothly.

I installed first

dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin

then

dd-wrt.v24-13575_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin

13575 represents the latest stable build for the 320n

The only small issue I noticed is that when using Firefox 3.6.3 any upgrading or webgui interface changes did not seem to be accepted, I would basically get the "Server has been reset" error.

I then used IE 8 and all options and changes where accepted.

So the only recommendation I would have to add is to use IE 8 for any webgui interfacing with DD-WRT firmware. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks
fallout330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:27    Post subject: v24-14205 Reply with quote
I noticed there was a similar file in the 14205 link:

dd-wrt.v24-14205_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt320n.bin

Is this a beta for testing only? Stable?

Thanks

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: