WRT310n V2 - Compatility with dd-wrt?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Zaphod0414
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 18:54    Post subject: Eko vs Brainslayer? Reply with quote
@Duff: Been wondering the same thing myself. Anyone know what (if any) are the key differences between the Eko and Brainslayer builds? Now that they both support the v2 it'd be nice to know.

Z
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 23:32    Post subject: Re: Eko vs Brainslayer? Reply with quote
Zaphod0414 wrote:
@Duff: Been wondering the same thing myself. Anyone know what (if any) are the key differences between the Eko and Brainslayer builds? Now that they both support the v2 it'd be nice to know.

Z

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58566&start=1080

look at what i said in this thread, it'll explain it.
also another good read...

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
dynedain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
After having issues w/ having to reset my router and modem, I decided to switch back to dd-wrt again.

I flashed to build 14144, but SSID broadcast wasn't working. I couldn't see the wireless access point sitting 2 feet away. I also tried QoS but that completely throttled all throughput.

I flashed again to build 14289 and at least SSID broadcast is working. I haven't yet tried QoS on this build.
Zaphod0414
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 13:04    Post subject: No luck with BS build 14289 Reply with quote
Finally decided to put dd-wrt on my wrt310v2 and didn't have too much luck - I just finished restoring and reconfiguring the stock Linksys firmware. The flash to dd-wrt seemed to go as it should, and the webgui came up just fine. Everything seemed to have gone alright, so I started reconfiguring and encountered a small problem - I could not save any settings. I started by trying to change the routers IP address, as I dislike using the default 192.168.x.x range. When I hit apply, I see the little "please wait" spinner for a couple of seconds and then the browser is directed to 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi, but the page is blank. I refreshed my own IP and got 192.168.1.100 back again. I checked, and sure enough the settings I had changed were back to default. So I tried adding a port forwarding rule. When I hit the ADD button I got redirected again to a blank 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi. Reloading the port forwarding rules page confirmed that it was still empty. So basically, no settings that I applied would stick.

I tried reflashing a couple of times with dd-wrt, both from within my semi-working dd-wrt webgui (which yielded exactly the same results as any other setting I tried to apply), and also using the linksys management console (unplug power - hold reset button - reconnect power - keep reset button pushed for about 15-20 secs then release. That full 90 second ritual the peacock thread preaches as gospel is not necessary - at least not for this particular model). I even tried redownloading a fresh copy of build 14289 just on the odd chance that the .bin file I had been using was corrupted in transit - but that didn't change anything. I gave up at this point and reflashed the stock linksys firmware using the management console.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour. I'm wondering if it's likely to be particular to this build, or if it's a more general problem that affects other builds as well. I'll probably try another build sooner or later, but I'll stick with stock firmware for now.

Z
open6l
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 13:40    Post subject: Re: No luck with BS build 14289 Reply with quote
Zaphod0414 wrote:
Finally decided to put dd-wrt on my wrt310v2 and didn't have too much luck - I just finished restoring and reconfiguring the stock Linksys firmware. The flash to dd-wrt seemed to go as it should, and the webgui came up just fine. Everything seemed to have gone alright, so I started reconfiguring and encountered a small problem - I could not save any settings. I started by trying to change the routers IP address, as I dislike using the default 192.168.x.x range. When I hit apply, I see the little "please wait" spinner for a couple of seconds and then the browser is directed to 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi, but the page is blank. I refreshed my own IP and got 192.168.1.100 back again. I checked, and sure enough the settings I had changed were back to default. So I tried adding a port forwarding rule. When I hit the ADD button I got redirected again to a blank 192.168.1.1/apply.cgi. Reloading the port forwarding rules page confirmed that it was still empty. So basically, no settings that I applied would stick.

I tried reflashing a couple of times with dd-wrt, both from within my semi-working dd-wrt webgui (which yielded exactly the same results as any other setting I tried to apply), and also using the linksys management console (unplug power - hold reset button - reconnect power - keep reset button pushed for about 15-20 secs then release. That full 90 second ritual the peacock thread preaches as gospel is not necessary - at least not for this particular model). I even tried redownloading a fresh copy of build 14289 just on the odd chance that the .bin file I had been using was corrupted in transit - but that didn't change anything. I gave up at this point and reflashed the stock linksys firmware using the management console.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour. I'm wondering if it's likely to be particular to this build, or if it's a more general problem that affects other builds as well. I'll probably try another build sooner or later, but I'll stick with stock firmware for now.

Z

I had this exact same problem. I was able to flash successfully but everytime I tried to change settings it would not save or apply - kept going back to the apply.cgi screen. I was doing this through Firefox on my mac. I tried safari and similiar problems. I then tried from my Windows XP machine using Internet Explorer and it worked fine. Dunno if this is your case but for me it worked using IE to set it up originally. Oddly enough after the initial setup I can now make changes using Firefox on my mac. Just my 2 cents.
Zaphod0414
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 16:14    Post subject: Settings not sticking - blank apply.cgi Reply with quote
Quote:
I had this exact same problem. I was able to flash successfully but everytime I tried to change settings it would not save or apply - kept going back to the apply.cgi screen. I was doing this through Firefox on my mac. I tried safari and similiar problems. I then tried from my Windows XP machine using Internet Explorer and it worked fine. Dunno if this is your case but for me it worked using IE to set it up originally. Oddly enough after the initial setup I can now make changes using Firefox on my mac. Just my 2 cents.

Well, that's certainly messed up. What build was this? I never tried hitting the thing from IE - I'll give that a shot next time I try. Just curious, but do you use Adblock Plus in Firefox? I just remembered some odd behaviour I had last year with some stock D-Link firmware that I traced back to Adblock Plus. I had to disable it for my router's ip in order to access certain settings. I never thought to try turning Adblock off, but will try that too next time I go at dd-wrt.

Is this a common occurance with Firefox? Have any other non-IE users that have encountered this bug? If it's common enough it deserves to be reported.

Z

EDIT: Looks like this is a common problem - it seems to be a browser issue from what I can gather from posts I found. Clear out the cache and it's supposed to work again. Sometimes all you have to do is close and reopen Firefox, people are saying. This doesn't explain why it wouldn't work for you in Chrome OR Firefox at the same time, but who knows. I'll fiddle some more with it later and let you know what happens.
arvetus
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone had any luck with upgrading to standard from mini on v2?
DuFFBeeR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
arvetus wrote:
anyone had any luck with upgrading to standard from mini on v2?

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/04-16-10-r14289/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-14289_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_nokaid_small.bin

This one should run on WRT310Nv2, be sure to flash with a firmware size < 4mb, usually "small" builds.
Konnichiwa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello! I was turned onto DD-WRT from an old housemate. Killer software, and nice to see some change. I have a few questions on how to install and which file(s) to download.

As per the download of files..., I would rather not use under development, and what is stable. Beyond this, what is the difference between mini and standard? Which file is which? I see one file that is around 6.8 megs, then the rest being 3.3....

Continuing: This was taken from Page 10 on the howto for noobs...I have not gone any further, as I do not wish to brick my router either (purchased online, refurbished -- I am sad to see that v1 was better, oh well).

virinix wrote:

Converting a Virgin 310nV2 to DDWRT for noobs (worked for me anyways):

1. While on, push and hold down the reset button continously for 30 seconds, unplug the power while continuing to hold for another 30 seconds, then plug back in while continuing to hold reset button for a final 30 seconds. (90 second button hold-down time)

2. Go to http://192.168.1.1 from a computer, and instead of the normal linksys control panel you'll see a "management" window with 2 options, to upload a new firmware and reset the NVRAM. Click on 'Reset NVRAM' to reset NVRAM. Wait a few seconds, then unplug the router for several seconds, then plug back in.

I honestly did not get past "1" on this noob instructional manual, as my IP Address became something in the 169.243.0.1 range... Scrambled and could not log into the router itself. In thus, I set the 5 second power cycle and got my 192.168.1.1 working once again. I guess I would go as far as the firmware use file scenario.., however I also read that does not work. In thus, I am super confused.

Is there a better way about this? or are these instructions accurate.. Please help, I would so love to use this FW.

On a side note, that could be some good food for though, is it possible with the dd-wrt, I will be able to run as a G and N modes simultaneously? One of the folk connecting may only have as far as G, though could be as slow as B!!! I wil wait and see on this either way..

Thanks in advance!
Zaphod0414
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:46    Post subject: Clearing up the how-to... Reply with quote
Quote:
I honestly did not get past "1" on this noob instructional manual, as my IP Address became something in the 169.243.0.1 range...

Don't worry, that's normal. Those instructions fail to mention that after you've done the 30/30/30 reset your router will be in a sort of recovery mode that allows you to do nothing else but flash a new firmware. At this time, the router is NOT going to give you an IP address automatically, so you'll have to set it manually. The router itself is 192.168.1.1 while in this state, so set your IP to 192.168.1.100 for example. Once you do that you'll be able to hit 192.168.1.1 in your browser once again. From there, click the link "clear NVRAM", wait for that to finish, then upload the firmware of your choice - DD-WRT or the stock Linksys firmware for example.

Quote:
As per the download of files..., I would rather not use under development, and what is stable.

You have no other choice at the moment. The only builds that work with the wrt310nv2 are the development builds. You'll have to pick a build and see as far as which is best, really. Just keep in mind that older builds will have bugs and such that may have been fixed in more recent builds. The only definitive guides I've come across are horribly outdated and recommens versions so old that they have serious issues that have since been corrected. Search the forums for suggested versions, but remember to check how old the post is too. A post recommending a certain version that's a year and a half old isn't really a good suggestion at all.

Basically, grab the latest build and have at 'er. I'd go with the Brainslayer builds, as they seem to be more actively developed at the moment. Find them here:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/

At this moment, build 14289 is the most recent, but that will soon change as new builds come out very regularily. From the above link, click your choice of build version, and then look for the folder called "broadcom_k26". Once in this folder, you want the file "dd-wrt.v24-xxxxx_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt310nv2.bin" (replace xxxxx with the build number). Here's a direct link to build 14289 for the wrt310v2:

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/04-16-10-r14289/broadcom_K26/dd-wrt.v24-14289_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt310nv2.bin

After you've flashed dd-wrt to your router, you can return your IP to automatic again. Also, completely close and reopen you browser before trying to configure dd-wrt for the first time, as some users (including myself) have had trouble by not doing so. DD-WRT uses 192.168.1.1 as the default router IP, just like Linksys. When you connect for the first time, it will make you choose a username and password before you can actually do anything. From there, it's simmilar to stock Linksys firmware in many ways, so it's easy to pick up. If you get stuck, just click the help button - it's actually helpful!

Good luck, and post your results in this thread to help others in your shoes. The only way we'll know which builds to avoid is to have those who experience issues tell us about them.

Z
homeinstaller
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 23:44    Post subject: Does the 310 V2 support mlppp Reply with quote
I can't find any info on this. It's my understanding that k26 dd-wrt firmwares do not support mlppp. Can i falsh this router with a K24 firmware without bricking/losing features. :?:
Zaphod0414
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:04    Post subject: do not put v24 on a wrt310nv2 Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't find any info on this. It's my understanding that k26 dd-wrt firmwares do not support mlppp. Can i falsh this router with a K24 firmware without bricking/losing features. Question

The v24 releases DO NOT WORK on v2 of the wrt310n. k26 builds must be used on v2's. v24 can only be used on v1 of this model.

What is mippp, exactly? I've never heard of it. If it's an ISP, then you would connect a dd-wrt router to the hardware they gave you - assuming it's not a USB device. You wouldn't use dd-wrt to acquire the signal directly. In theory you could, I suppose, but you wouldn't really gain anything and it would be a much more difficult setup.

Z
xchasmx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 18:15    Post subject: anything other than mini? Reply with quote
i've been following along and have been always flashing with the mini version of dd-wrt, specifically the one with 310nv2 in the file name. i keep seeing the question of whether other versions work, but never really a solid answer - once upgraded to the 310v2 version, can the openvpn or std versions be installed?

also, it's mlppp, Multilink PPP.
odie3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
does anyone know if the this dev release helps the problem of it slowing down on download speeds?

-Did I mention I rolled Odie up in a blanket and stuffed him onto the top shelf of the hall closet?

Last edited by odie3 on Mon May 24, 2010 17:00; edited 1 time in total
BobDaMann
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just flashed using the default linksys firmware upgrade with no problems. DD-WRT was up an running in no time.

I am using the:
dd-wrt.v24-14144_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_wrt310nv2

which was found here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/03-24-10-r14144/broadcom_K26/

This is my first run with DD-WRT did I do anything fundamentally incorrect or is it really just that easy to setup?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 12 of 18
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: