Netgear 3500 v2 died after firmware upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
freesman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 22:29    Post subject: Netgear 3500 v2 died after firmware upgrade Reply with quote
My router WNR3500 v2 died after firmware upgrade. New firmware: dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin(13972), old was: dd-wrt.v24-13309_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin. I have upgraded via web gui, and when upgrading it says upgrade successfull, but after i cant access web gui not ping. Hard reset and 30/30/30 not solved my problem. Any suggestion?
Sponsor
compgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same happened to me last night. Same circumstances and versions. Router Bricked? Solid amber power light and cannot make a successful tftp connection.
I see in the router database is reverted back to build: 13309 for a WNR3500 v2.

??????????

Can anyone explain?
kosskossy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:13    Post subject: New WNR3500 V2 solid orange light Reply with quote
I think I just bricked my router too
What a waste of money Sad
It said that the upgrade was successful but it just got stuck on that page and when I tried to power cycle, it's always stuck on that solid orange light no matter how many hard resets I do (30/30/30)

Have you guys found a solution for this problem?

If so, please share

Thanks
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:06    Post subject: Re: New WNR3500 V2 solid orange light Reply with quote
kosskossy wrote:

Have you guys found a solution for this problem?

If so, please share

Thanks

The solution for the 2 previous posters is that they should read the instructions for loading dd-wrt onto their routers before doing it...

What dd-wrt build file did you flash to your router?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I flashed my WNR3500 V2 with dd-wrt.v24-13309_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500v2.chk

It all went very well.. I did a hard reset and there were no problem... a month later I wanted to try Tomato on the router and see what the difference is. I did my research, I read, printed material and read some more and then I picked a firmware version that was 3.57MB which is less than the 4MB, available for flashing the router. It didn't go sooo well, it gave me a message that it upgraded successful but then it got stuck on the solid orange light no matter what I did next.

I have been trying to ping the router at 192.168.1.1 but no hope there until I did a hard reset and I saw 3 responses to my ping and then it goes back to operation timeout.

I should have just left it alone with DD-WRT running but you know us tinkerers, curiosity is damn $itch
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, so Tomato bricked it.
I wasn't even aware that there are Tomato builds for the new Broadcom cpu's but obviously there is since you checked.

You need a serial connection now to the internal serial port of the router.
A serial connection through a level converter since normal serial comm is 12V while the router has 3.3V TTL serial. You can also use a USB -> 3.3V TTL converter, get a Nokia DKU-5 cable or CA-42 cable from ebay (4-5$) and cut the phone connector. Connect 3 or 4 wires (depending on type of cable) to the solder pads of the routers serial port and use a terminal program on your pc to break into the bootloader. You can then erase the nvram and start a tftp transfer of a fresh dd-wrt binary.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is how I solved my problem and I hope it benefits someone... I didn't have to buy a serial cable

Every time I sent the firmware.chk [this is the original firmware that you download from netgear website] via tftp (tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT firmware.chk) I get a blinking green light.. I honestly didn't know what that meant but I learnt that while the green light is blinking, I can ping the router at 192.168.1.1 and get 100% return (Make sure you set up you PC with a static ip address such as 192.168.1.48 and the gateway as 192.168.1.1)..

So I sent firmware.chk as soon as the router booted (of course while shorting the two pins shown in the picture using a screwdriver, the router light started blinking green and I got the message saying "transfer successful"... 5 seconds later, I RE-sent the same exact firmware.chk via tftp and this time I got a blinking orange/amber light (DON'T Short the 2 pins at this time). It took less than 5 minutes and the router was restored to its original status (solid green light, blue light (wireless), and orange light for the connected LAN port).

I managed to brick my router 4 other times after that, and every time I de-bricked it by transferring firmware.chk TWICE right after plugging the power back in.

I could never upload tomato firmware on WNR3500 v2. You can easily install DD-WRT latest build (4-26-2010) no issues at all, but every time I tried to put tomato firmware, I bricked my router no matter which tomato build I used.

If anyone knows how to put tomato on WNR3500 V2, please post. I'd love to try it

GetAttachment.jpg
 Description:
http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/13859/How-To-Debrick-Your-NETGEAR-WNR3500L-Using-A-USB-TTL-Cable-on-Windows/?page=2#3446
 Filesize:  48.12 KB
 Viewed:  81719 Time(s)

GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment.jpg
 Description:
tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT firmware.chk
 Filesize:  48.12 KB
 Viewed:  81719 Time(s)

GetAttachment.jpg

ttim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 22:04    Post subject: How to Re-cover My WNR3500L to Manufacture Default Reply with quote
Thanks a lot Kosskossy. You are very good.
I have learned [b]how to re-cover my router WNR3500L to Netgear manufacture default[/b] from your post. Here how I resolved the issue using my MS Windows 7.
1. I used T6 drive to open the router cover.
2. I plugged in the power, and I put the switch on; I wait all lights flash (about 10-15 seconds when turned on power). I used my T6 drive (or screw driver for you) to short pins 15 and 16 (as your pictures);
3. I turned off the router, and removed T6 drive;
4. Set IP address for my computer: 192.168.1.10/24, default gateway: 192.168.1.1(like you did);
5. Plug-in RJ45 to the router and my computer, and turned on the router.
6. I inserted the Netgear DVD (software and documents) that came with the router into my computer DVD drive.
7. About one minute or two, the DVD menu showed up. I chose recover the router from the menu.
8. Now, I just followed up Netgear wizard GUI.
9. While it was running, I went to my kitchen for a couple of coffee about five or seven minutes. I got my router successfully re-covered to manufacture default.
10. Closed my router cover; and it is operational now. Very Happy Very Happy

By the way, How did you know these two pins 15-16 can short?
kosskossy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well done mate

So, which firmware were you trying to install when you bricked your router?. I am kinna happy with the stock firmware at this point but would like to at least see what tomato firmware looks like Question

I am glad you managed to resurrect your router without having to mess with command line. Believe it or not, I could never put the router cover back without breaking the plastic pins on the side!!!!
So, I just attached the side panel using only the screws on the bottom.

Here is the original forum where I learnt about these 2 pins. http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/13859/How-To-Debrick-Your-NETGEAR-WNR3500L-Using-A-USB-TTL-Cable-on-Windows/?page=2 The picture has been taken down since then!!!
ttim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:01    Post subject: Kong firmware has no problem Reply with quote
I tried to upgrade Kong version dd-wrt-usb-ftp-samba3-vpn-O2-v24-K26-broadcom-3.bin
[url]http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/22510/DD-WRT- Kong-Mod-USB-FTP-SAMBA3-OpenVPN-Proxy/[/url]However, this firmware is fine. I lost power during upgrading. That was why I got problems with my router.
dreganxix
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
For those with netgear wnr2000 v2, interested in tomato, theres is Victek mod works great. http://cdn.redeszone.net/down/firm/tomato_raf/Tomato_RAF-K26-1.28.8706_MIPSR2_Mini.zip

first install dd-wrt then victeks tomato
kt_haddock
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kong's FW ONLY support WNR3500L thats why you brick it.
Debrick it with this:
http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/13859/How-To-Debrick-Your-NETGEAR-WNR3500L-Using-A-USB-TTL-Cable-on-Windows/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 15:15    Post subject: WNR3500L bricked Reply with quote
I am having problems with my router, the green light keeps flashing.
I have tried 30, 30/30/30 reset, same result. I tried to short the pins, light keeps flashing. I am able to get the ping reply.
Can any one guide me to de brick it ?

20120624_093203.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  582.7 KB
 Viewed:  68402 Time(s)

20120624_093203.jpg

chetansha
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 15:57    Post subject: Working Again Reply with quote
I was at my wits end and ready to do anything, till i found this
http://zipleen.blogspot.in/search/label/debrick
I used the firmware mentioned there http://www.dd-wrt.com/routerdb/de/download/Netgear/WNR3500L/-/dd-wrt.v24-14311_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNR3500L.chk/3467
and magically the green flashing light turned amber, and then every thing is back to normal now.

All this started with trying to reflash dd-wrt to default Netgear firmware, as I wanted to try tomato firmware.
lojden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm, i do not have those pins on my 3500L V2..
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: