JTAG on 64bit windows?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I bought a new multimeter and it turns out the ground pin is fine without having to use another hole, but 1, 3, and 5 seem dead. I tested the voltage between the ground and the odd pins, 7 and 9 gave ~3.3V but the others gave nothing. From what I've read pin 1 isn't important so I wasn't worrying about it after the ring had fallen totally out and gotten lost Embarassed Laughing but I need to get 3 and 5 connected. Am I correct that RH9 corresponds to pin 3 and RH8 goes to pin 5 (they do give ~3.3V)?

jtag_header_wrt54gs_v2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.73 KB
 Viewed:  24541 Time(s)

jtag_header_wrt54gs_v2.jpg

Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
With a multimeter you can check the resistance between a jtag header pin and its corresponding resistor.(downside of the resistor if looking at your photo)

RH9 -> pin3
RH8 -> pin5
RH7 -> pin7
RH6 -> pin9

You need to buy a small bottle of rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, isopropanyl) from your pharmacy or hardware store together with a small brush.
Clean the area where you have soldered so you get rid of the flux and solder remains.
Contact cleaner in spray bottle can also be used but is not as efficient as the alcohol.

Check the printed circuit wires coming from the resistors (with magnifying glass if necessary).
Most common place where those wires break is in their connection point to pin hole.

The wire going to pin 5 looks to be broken outside the pin hole at around 11 oclock

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would'nt necessarily worry about voltage.. Check continuity using the ohm setting on your meter.

Each pin.. 3,5,7,9 to ground. You should see a K ohm reading or a M ohm reading. Nothing should be open or zero ohms.

Then check between pins.. 3 to 5, 3 to 7, 3 to 9, 5 to 7, 5 to 9, 7 to 9.

Same thing... You should have no opens or zero ohm readings.

If lom is right and the trace to pin 5 is broken, it will show open when testing to ground. I try to repair the trace by scraping the epoxy and bridging the broken trace with a ball of solder. I knocked off an smt resistor or two in the past.. It is like working with a spec of sand to put it back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The wire going to pin 5 looks to be broken outside the pin hole at around 11 oclock

That's what I've been saying... The pcb warped and the pin holes came apart from the pcb. 3 and 5 are severed.

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright so I've gotten my jtag to work and am posting from this WRT54GSv2 wuffles was kind enough to give to me. How is the 64bit win7 compatible build of tjtag coming along?
Tornado
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
not finished with RG-revert yet

My preferred parallel jtag adapter:
TIAO Parallel adapter

Tjtag website - http://tjtag.com

Compiling DD-WRT on:
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3926.667 Mhz

Aptosid X64 - Debian SID X64
Ubuntu 10.10 X64 - Arch X64
malmo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 13:33    Post subject: JTAG Reply with quote
Hi! I have just some noob question...
I read little around and that I have seen there is JTAG only for LPT. I Use XP64 with a 2 serial on a PCI card. Tornado develop some JTAG software. I was thinking that a JTAG software was an industrial standard and should be available for al OS:s, apparently that not..
If I buy this cable, a serial connected JTAG http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xilinx-DLC4-JTAG-programmer-serial-Debug-cable-lead_W0QQitemZ220485584923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET?hash=item3355f7081b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Would it run with Tornados or other software on my computer?...
Tornado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
@phuzi0n

Are you ready for Window 7 x64 bit tjtag-Win-x64 ?

I finally found time to get around to it, and now have Windows 7 x64 Ultimate running on my machine. Just put it together today, seems to work fine on my system, it should also work on XP 64 and Vista 64, but I do not have those operating systems to test it on. Give me one or two days max, and I will post it here !!! with some simple instructions..it has had very little testing, so beware, I did end up using inpoutx64, so no need to run loaddrv everytime, the driver is loaded dynamically.. I will be interested in your feedback.

TIAO Parallel adapter

Compiling DD-WRT on:

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah just give me a build and I'll try it.
Tornado

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, here it is, read the README.TXT file in tjtag64-install dir after unzipping, please leave me feedback

I have only tested this on Windows 7 X64, and that testing was limited, but works for me :)

This should work on XP x64, and Vista x64, but I do not have those operating systems to test on.

tjtagx64-install.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  tjtagx64-install.zip
 Filesize:  176.59 KB
 Downloaded:  3181 Time(s)

TIAO Parallel adapter

Compiling DD-WRT on:

phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's working alright.
Tornado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
8 downloads and no feedback, it must be perfect Smile

TIAO Parallel adapter

Compiling DD-WRT on:

Krytical
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think it could use the :port switch

I'm on 7 x64, and I'm using an add in card for jtag, and I need to be able to set the port I think...
wrt brick
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:40    Post subject: Downloaded and trying it out. Reply with quote
Thanks for the hard work. I have been using the original tjtag on my wife's xp machine which is slower. I downloaded this new version for win7 to use on my newer machine, but silly me, I put x86/32bit version on it. Needless to say this new version doesn't work on the faster machine that I want to use. Is there any chance that you have had any spare moments to put together a 32bit win7 version? If not, I will just have to hijack her machine for a few days as I am jtaging the original wholeflash in order to debrick and it is taking forever.
joeyjojo9658
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tornado wrote:
OK, here it is, read the README.TXT file in tjtag64-install dir after unzipping, please leave me feedback

I have only tested this on Windows 7 X64, and that testing was limited, but works for me :)

This should work on XP x64, and Vista x64, but I do not have those operating systems to test on.

This is great!

I recently bricked my WRT54GS v1 (overclocking to 264 killed it). I couldn't get the HairyDairyMaid-based driver (giveio.sys) to work on Vista x64 as event viewer complained:

Quote:
\??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers\giveio.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

This one works fine though and router now debricked, and running at 252.

Thanks muchos!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: