WL-500g Premium V2 Wireless Rate Speed Really slow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
banders5144
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:08    Post subject: WL-500g Premium V2 Wireless Rate Speed Really slow Reply with quote
I know it has been stated in here to not believe what the wireless rate speed says on the info page, but I think it is pretty accurate in the situation I am in.

Right now I have an Asus WL-500G Premium V2 and a WRT54GL v1.1 running Mega 13525 and Micro 13525 respectively.

Now I orignally had the Asus as my gateway router for my Cable modem connection and my Linksys as a client bridge in my room. In this configuration, the wireless speed was far from optimal. Also I always noticed that the wireless rate on my Asus would drop down to 11 or 5.5 Mbps. However, my Linksys always remained at a constant 54Mbps.

I then decided to switch the routers and to my surprise, the wireless speed was much faster. However the wireless rate still showed 11 or 5.5 Mbps on the Asus and a constant 54 Mbps on the Linksys.

Is there any explanation why the Asus is doing really bad with the wireless?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
banders5144
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 21:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
The link rate you are describing is a function of signal quality, usually related to environmental factors. It doesn't equate to throughput. Move your router/try a different channel/remove noise if you want a higher link rate. However, your throughput rate might not change at all. Most of us care about throughput, not link rate. However, you cannot achieve greater throughput than your link rate...but you might achieve less.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess the one thing I am just wondering is why when I made my linksys the gateway router that my throughput went up so much. Is there a known issue with the wireless Asus router that I have?
Peabody
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
banders5144 wrote:
I guess the one thing I am just wondering is why when I made my linksys the gateway router that my throughput went up so much. Is there a known issue with the wireless Asus router that I have?

Your GL is not getting throughput of 54mbs. That is the link rate, (how strong the wireless connection is) not throughput. You won't get much over 20mbs throughput as a maximum on G equipment. Link rate tells the quality of the connection, not the speed. It can effect speed, but does not represent throughput.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok I understand what you are saying 100%. I guess my question is now how come when I had my Asus as the gateway router I was not getting that same throughput speed. Is there a known issue with the wireless on a WL-500G Premium V2?
{delta}
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woah. Version 13xxx of the firmware?

I have a Asus WL-500G Premium V2 running a brainslayer build (14xxx) from last month and really don't have an issue with wireless speed. The WIFI to Ethernet speed is only so so at about 3 MB/s, but I get a strong signal just about everywhere.

When I first got the router a year ago, I noticed that the older version of the firmware would cause my network to not be connect-able if I used any wireless security other than WEP. This was across all wireless devices I could find. After some 14xxx number, it fixed that issue at least.

I'd recommend doing a 30/30/30 reset, flashing to a newer build and waiting a few minutes, then doing a 30/30/30 reset again. This router uses the NEWD driver, for reference.

Also, go into the wireless tab, then advanced, then change the TX power value to 35mW instead of whatever value is in it (Probably 71). Hit the apply settings button.
banders5144
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cool thanks man I will try that. Yeah I have also tried to turn down the Tx Power as well. My problem is that the throughput is really sketchy when I had the Asus Router as the gateway. When I switched it to the Linksys router, much faster and much more reliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: