The Peacock Thread: Part II (The rest of the story)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
There is so much different kind of network that use dd-wrt device, that it will be helpfull.

So if some test template are define this will be easier do give an evaluation, and sure this could help devs.

I test every build for Repeater and Repeater Bridge modes and report back any issues. That is my primary function with dd-wrt testing. I verify all menus, make sure parameters get saved, recover after a power cycle, I check UL/DL speeds regularly.

I test all build sizes too...micro, mini, nokaid, std, k26. If requested to check a specific size build on a specific model...I'll reflash and test specifics.

sometimes it can take awhile for a problem to be discovered....sometimes...not.

This is not to say I won't report problems with my Client Bridge or AP units too...but I concentrate on the R and RB units for testing.

There are so many users of dd-wrt that it doesn't make sense for one person to conceivably test EVERY scenario....and I don't feel it is necessary for one person to try.

Due to the number of different units that I have, and varying builds, its really hard to pin down a specific set of "testing" parameters....I just report issues as I find them with R and RB modes primarily.

But...I am a simple home user with a large test setup....my home core network consists of 5 routers....but I have in my arsenal about 45 that I can test with. (18 newer (and one really old model) running currently...with another 25+ that can be pulled out of boxes and tested at any given time)

redhawk

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was not an attack, for sure red you do a lot for the community...that is a fact !

But maybe some other person could do other tests.

If we define how test should be run what kind of check have to be done pending the network architecture, etc, then every one could contribute.

DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
yzy-oui-fi wrote:
This was not an attack, for sure red you do a lot for the community...that is a fact !

Not taken as such....no worries.

yzy-oui-fi wrote:
But maybe some other person could do other tests.

If we define how test should be run what kind of check have to be done pending the network architecture, etc, then every one could contribute.

Agreed...it would be helpful. I do remember a thread on this about a year ago....it was along these same lines...but I can't seem to find it.

Anybody???

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also used to work with the devs...testing builds before they were posted to make sure things worked BEFORE it was released to the public.

But that hasn't happened in about 6-7 months now....The devs don't even talk with me about issues any longer...not sure why....it just kinda happened I guess.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think they have lot of work with the Buffalo market they won.
DD-WRT WDS MESH + DASHBOARD (fr), DD-WRT network setting tool (tools.yzy-oui-fi.com), Wifi Business and IT guy After hours, My Blog, Free DD-WRT VPN Community(www.wrt-pptp-ww.com), DD-WRT pré-réglés pour réseau outdoor(hotspot.yzy-oui-fi.com), Nouveau Forum DD-WRT francophone
soundmanbrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 23:54    Post subject: Re: No client bridge on 24 sp1? Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
soundmanbrad wrote:
In the threads I've noticed that it's said over and over that client bridge mode won't work and should not be set on firmware v24 sp1. Why is that? I would like to know since I have gotten it to work perfectly fine on my ASUS WL-520GC.
Thanks.

Well...it can work...I'd gotten it to work on the old SP1 also...but SP1 has so many other issue it isn't worth keeping it on the unit when a better build is available.

SP1 is also know to work for a few months....then all of a sudden....take a dump on you.

We do a lot of testing of the BETA FW's and we post our most recent recommended builds in this thread

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

the 13525 builds are still the most stable and proven by the community in general (as of this date)....I'm not saying it is without all flaws...but it is better then older and some newer builds.

There are many builds after this recommended...but as we find issue that are unresolved...we don't recommend them until the worst of these problems are fixed and proven for a period of time before the recommended build is updated to a newer build.

redhawk

The reason I flashed with that particular firmware is because it was on the hardware specific installation for my router. Should I edit that page so it links to the micro generic version 13525.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just fixed it...no need for another edit.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/ASUS_WL-520GC#Other_notes

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 0:18    Post subject: thanks redhawk Reply with quote
Thanks for all your help. I have one last question. The hardware specific installation page for the asus rt-n12 linked to revision 14289 so i think i will try revision 13527 since utorrent and zonealarm drive up my cpu on this build.
I was wondering, since I already have a dd-wrt firmware on this router, should I still use
dd-wrt.v24-13527_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx
or should i use this one:
dd-wrt.v24-13527_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin?

Thanks?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 0:24    Post subject: Re: thanks redhawk Reply with quote
soundmanbrad wrote:
Thanks for all your help. I have one last question. The hardware specific installation page for the asus rt-n12 linked to revision 14289 so i think i will try revision 13527 since utorrent and zonealarm drive up my cpu on this build.
I was wondering, since I already have a dd-wrt firmware on this router, should I still use
dd-wrt.v24-13527_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N12.trx
or should i use this one:
dd-wrt.v24-13527_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin?

Thanks?

The file that has the router name in it (RT-N12) is for the initial flash on the router....you can now use the one that ends in mini.bin once dd-wrt is already on it.

I make not promises that you won't find bugs with the older 13527 K26 build on the newer models....some were made better with newer FW builds...I am running 14594 K26 on my RT-N16 and it has been working quite well....so that is another option for you to try.

Try the 13527 first if you like...but keep the 14594 as a contingency plan :lol:

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 0:47; edited 1 time in total
soundmanbrad
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks a lot. I will try out the 14594
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder if someone can add another step:

Step XX: HAVE PATIENCE!

So many people seem to think just because a router has now been supported it will work.

People forget that Wireless-G routers have been out for years,
and that being the case, have had many iterations of the firmware released,
as well as many bugs worked out.

Just because a new router is now 'supported' does not mean its going to work flawlessly.

It can also take many more months to work out the kinks.

Have patience, work with the bugs, or stick with the factory firmware.

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
YasharF2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:01    Post subject: Running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/20/11) vpn - build 18024 Reply with quote
Running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/20/11) vpn - build 18024
dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic
Have installed it on:
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Uptime so far: 4 days, 13:20
Incoming (MBytes)5357
Outgoing (MBytes)4718

Running Authoritative DHCP, DNSMasq, NTP Client, DDNS, MAC Address Clone, Gateway mode, Wireless AP bridged with WPA2 AES, WMM support, a few Static DHCP Leases, logging to a Syslog server, ttraff Daemon, TCP Port Forwarding, iptables rule for loopback, and iptables rule for dropping traffic from some spam servers.

Also tried SSH and SNMP, and they worked, but I have turned them off since I don't need them.

I upgraded to 18024 from 14896. So far I have not had any problems. Have done a good amount (during these 4 days) of regular use, i.e. download and uploads of some large files over HTTP, Video streams from FOX.com, Halo PC, and have used services that I have port forwarding for remotely.

By the way, I briefly looked at the VPN config tab and it looks like it has been modified and perhaps it has become easier to configure. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet though. There is also a whole new subsection under Administration for "IP Filter Settings (adjust these for P2P)"
YasharF2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:30    Post subject: Re: Running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/20/11) vpn - build 18024 Reply with quote
YasharF2 wrote:
dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic
Have installed it on:
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Incoming (MBytes)5357
Outgoing (MBytes)4718

Running Authoritative DHCP, DNSMasq, NTP Client, DDNS, MAC Address Clone, Gateway mode, Wireless AP bridged with WPA2 AES, WMM support, a few Static DHCP Leases, logging to a Syslog server, ttraff Daemon, TCP Port Forwarding, iptables rule for loopback, and iptables rule for dropping traffic from some spam servers.

Also tried SSH and SNMP, and they worked, but I have turned them off since I don't need them.

I upgraded to 18024 from 14896. So far I have not had any problems. Have done a good amount (during these 4 days) of regular use, i.e. download and uploads of some large files over HTTP, Video streams from FOX.com, Halo PC, and have used services that I have port forwarding for remotely.

By the way, I briefly looked at the VPN config tab and it looks like it has been modified and perhaps it has become easier to configure. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet though. There is also a whole new subsection under Administration for "IP Filter Settings (adjust these for P2P)"

** Has been up 8 days, 14:12 and no issues yet.
JohnnyO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:56    Post subject: Re: Running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/20/11) vpn - build 18024 Reply with quote
YasharF2 wrote:
YasharF2 wrote:

I upgraded to 18024 from 14896. So far I have not had any problems.

I appreciate your post. It is one thing when people say they installed a new version and it works for an hour. It is much more useful when folks post a week or two later saying the same thing. It is especially useful to see what components they are using, as you listed! Thank you. I might have the courage to try 18024 now!
YasharF2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:15    Post subject: Re: Running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/20/11) vpn - build 18024 Reply with quote
YasharF2 wrote:
YasharF2 wrote:
dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic
Have installed it on:
Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
Incoming (MBytes)5357
Outgoing (MBytes)4718

** Has been up 23 days, 16:58 and no issues yet.
** Incoming (MBytes)41394
** Outgoing (MBytes)8395

Last edited by YasharF2 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:21; edited 2 times in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 14 of 15
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: