WRT54G v1 Power and Diag light stay solid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
tab1293
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 23:28    Post subject: WRT54G v1 Power and Diag light stay solid Reply with quote
I followed this guide exactly in order to install DD-WRT on my WRT54G v1.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v1.0_%26_1.1

I got up to step 5 and when I was doing a 30/30/30 reboot in order to upgrade to v24 from v23sp2 when all my routers light went out besides the power and diag led which constantly stay solid. I tried pinging, doing all sorts of reboots and I even tried a new 5V@2a power supply with no luck. The power and diag lights stay solid as soon as I plug in the power. I don't see how I could've bricked it considering everything was working and I was just doing a 30/30/30 reboot. I was wondering if there anything else I can do or if someone has had similar problems. Thanks.
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please read note 6 of the peacock thread and post your findings.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
tab1293
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, I went through that whole thread and tried all the tests in note 6. No matter what I do, I can not get a response from the router when I ping it. Does this mean I am going to have to JTAG it or has anybody had this problem before and did something else to fix it?
joeschmuckatelli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
tab1293 wrote:
Ok, I went through that whole thread and tried all the tests in note 6. No matter what I do, I can not get a response from the router when I ping it. Does this mean I am going to have to JTAG it or has anybody had this problem before and did something else to fix it?
So if you read the Peacock thread Note 6 you will find a section that states this
Quote:
If someone has sent you to note 6 of the peacock thread, it is because they are asking you to post the exact message you get from your initial ping attempt, the message you get during and after a power cycle, and the message you get when pinging during and after a hard reset. Be sure to post this information in your thread. You will ALWAYS get a message/response when you try to ping;(see the first paragraph for note 6, above) be sure to post exactly what those responses are. Also post what each light in the front of the router is doing, and whether something is plugged into any lan port. Finally we will need to know what operating system you are using on your computer to assess the message you get. POST ALL THIS INFORMATION IF YOU WANT USEFUL ASSISTANCE

So you really need to specify what messages you are getting back and the light status.

As for a J-TAG, if you are handy with a soldering iron, you could build a J-TAG interface but before you think about it you should provide the info, you might not need to go to that extreme which will save you a lot of greif.

-Joe
tab1293
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok sorry if I wasn't clear in my response but I did all that.

The initial ping attempt I get no response and the power and diag LED lights stay solid the whole time. Even if I power cycle those lights still stay solid. And pinging while doing hard resets still does not give me a ping response and the LEDs don't change.

PING: transmit failed. General failure. Thats the response I always get from pinging.

I am running windows 7 and the only things connected to my router are its power supply and one ethernet cable from my computer to its LAN port.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also check your power supply. These old Gv1's are notorious for having a bad 5V @ 2A supply.

check the power with a meter when it is plugged in. if you have lower then 4.75V....you need a new supply.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0, I went to radioshack and they tested a new 5V@2amp adapter brick, the lights still stayed the same no change. Do you think its worth it to try to hotwire my PC's powersupply or was that radioshack finding good enough?
joeschmuckatelli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
The ping responce you are getting normally indicates a firewall/proxy issue.

I don't want to assume anything here but you are on the internet on one computer, I assume you have the router connected to a different machine?

-Joe

Edit: Also, I would not "Hot Wire" power from your computer to the router. Just check the voltage level if you have a volt meter.
tab1293
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am just disabling my wireless and enabling my ethernet lan card when I want to test the router. My ethernet card is set at a static IP with its address being 192.168.1.10 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I am 100% sure the router's ip would be 192.168.1.1 too.

And I am pretty sure that ping response just means there is nothing at that address responding to pings.
joeschmuckatelli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
tab1293 wrote:
I am just disabling my wireless and enabling my ethernet lan card when I want to test the router. My ethernet card is set at a static IP with its address being 192.168.1.10 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I am 100% sure the router's ip would be 192.168.1.1 too.

And I am pretty sure that ping response just means there is nothing at that address responding to pings.

A ping responce of "Destination Host Unreachable" means nothing is there. Try to ping a different address like 192.168.1.244.

I recommend connecting your router directly to the main ethernet port of your computer directly. By using a different ethernet port that you just enabled, well the routing tables are not proper in your computer. I guess you could try "ipconfig /renew" at the command prompt, but I'd physically connect your router to the main ethernet connection.

Edit: I can't read aparently. So you only have the one ethernet port. Let me think some more.

-Joe
joeschmuckatelli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried using a different physical computer to ping the router?
tab1293
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I just tried pinging the router on my XP laptop and the same thing. And the ping message now is "Destination Host Unreachable" I think Win7 may just give different replies.
joeschmuckatelli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
tab1293 wrote:
Yes, I just tried pinging the router on my XP laptop and the same thing. And the ping message now is "Destination Host Unreachable" I think Win7 may just give different replies.

Win 7 responces are the same as XP. I run Win 7 as well on all my computers (3) and XP on my old laptop. I suspect you have a firewall issue on your Win 7 Laptop which is blocking your Ethernet connection. Stick with the XP Laptop for future troubleshooting.

As for the 30/30/30, I guess I've never heard of that for the WRT54G, I have for my D-Link 825 routers which will tell them to go to the firmware loading page (192.168.0.1) and then I can load any firmware I want. Not sure what 30/30/30 does on the WRT54G, guess I need to look that up.

So, I guess you should try some troubleshooting. So you had the router set to 192.168.1.1 before you started upgrading the firmware? And you never actually go to the point of loading the firmware, true?
tab1293
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
No I had v23sp2 firmware on the router and I was upgrading to v24 so I was doing a 30/30/30 reset and thats when this happened. And yes the routers IP was always 192.168.1.1
joeschmuckatelli
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm out of ideas other than trying the 30/30/30 again and verifying you have the proper voltage.

A JTAG interface is easy to build and connect. I have done this twice and each time I was able to solder a set of header pins directly to the router board (just like the USB Header pins on a typical motherboard). This required solder wick to clear the thru holes first. This allowed me to connect the JTAG easily and make it removable/reusable. One thing to note, keep your wires short if you are just using resistors and no buffering on your JTAG. Resistors are the easiest way to go. When I say short, I mean do not exceed 12 inches. That's easy to do, especially if you have a laptop with a printer port connection.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: