WRT54G2 Unstable Client Bridge to Belkin F5D8235-4 v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ebotee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:34    Post subject: WRT54G2 Unstable Client Bridge to Belkin F5D8235-4 v2 Reply with quote
I PUT THIS UNDER BROADCOM BECAUSE THE CLIENT BRIDGE IS BROADCOM. IT IS ACTUALLY A BROADCOM<-->RALINK PROBLEM METHINKS.

Hi Everyone! This is my first post.

I am no expert of dd-wrt but I have been using it for a little over a year on a WRT54G2 router as a client bridge and occasionally as a bridge repeater.

The WRT54G2 is using v24 pre sp2 (the recommended one in the database). In my usual reliable setup, the base router is a DLink DIR-655 router. I have no problems with this setup.

For about 2 months out of the year I am at a different location with a different ISP and base router, the Belkin F5D8235-4 v2 (AKA the N+ router). I setup the WRT54G2 as a client bridge. Everything works fine for a few minutes until suddenly I cannot load webpages and local connections in games are dropped. After about one minute, the connection seems to come back and fails a few minutes later again. This is a major inconvenience. Luckily I had another DLink DIR-655 with me so I replaced the Belkin with the Dlink. I used the same network settings on both routers but the clint Bridge seems stable only when connected to the Dlink base router.

Before switching to the Dlink router I tried changing wireless channels (currently set to 11).

The DLink uses an Atheros AR5BMB7 Radio and the Belkin uses a Ralink RT2820 2T3R.
The client bridge WRT54G2 uses Broadcom BCM4318.

I have followed all guidelines provided on the client bridge: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Thank you to anyone who reads all of this!
Ideally I would like to have a stable bridge with the Belkin router.
Sponsor
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the announcements at the start of this forum.
ebotee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Could you be more specific or point me in the right direction? Thanks for the response.
odie3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think he is saying to read this one: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043

but who's to know?

-Did I mention I rolled Odie up in a blanket and stuffed him onto the top shelf of the hall closet?
ebotee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 17:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the clarification.

I am using v24-SP2 (10/10/09) Micro Build 13064. It is recommended in the database and in the firmware recommendations post. It is strange that it works fine connected to the DLink router and does not with a Belkin router even when they have the same settings.

Are the chipsets really that incompatible?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
ebotee wrote:

Are the chipsets really that incompatible?

Only Realtek.
Atheros and Broadcom speaks well together nowadays.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Like the Belkin N, the N+ uses Ralink's RT2880 Processor / MAC / BB SoC combined with a Ralink RT2820 2T3R 2.4 GHz Transceiver. The WAN and LAN ports are provided by a Realtek RTL8366SR gigabit switch.

Source: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30634-belkin-n-wireless-router-reviewed?showall=&start=1

The Belkin N+ router has a Ralink Radio but the gigabit WAN and LAN ports are controlled by Realtek RTL8366SR gigabit switch. So basically theres nothing I can do except use different hardware?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry I meant Ralink, not Realtek.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do not know if this makes any sense but my MacBook Pro has a Broadcom wireless chipset and it did not have any noticeable connection issues when connected to the Belkin router.
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you read the announcements at the start of this forum..the announcements , not the stickies, you would not be using 13064.
ebotee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
LLB wrote:
... you would not be using 13064.

Could be more specific as to which build you would recommend. I understand that the database may have recommended a bad build but I am still uncertain which build would be better/best for a Linksys WRT54G2 V1.
tiny
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think he wants you to upgrade to 13525 build. It is the most stable. This would eliminate a firmware bug as the cause. Use the micro build for your router.
ebotee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Tiny for clarifying what LLB was getting at. I will give it a try either later tonight or tomorrow and report back with the results.
ebotee
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately, even after updating to 13525 and reconfiguring all of the settings, I still had reliability issues with the Belkin router with a Ralink Radio.

So I guess this is just an issue between Broadcom and Ralink hardware? Any other suggestions?
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
A g2 is a garbage router, and has many problems. While coupling it with a dir 655 might have worked, it might not be good enough to couple with a less powerful router.

I am not sure how you missed the recommended builds if you actually read the announcements, and if you didn't then you likely missed other important information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: