Zoom 5241 Cable Modem -- can't get internet to WRT54G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Paul-Pauls
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 0:24    Post subject: Zoom 5241 Cable Modem -- can't get internet to WRT54G Reply with quote
Hi, I have a good internet connection on Cox with a Zoom 5241 Cable Modem. I have the WAN port on the 5241 connected to the "Internet" port (WAN?) on the Linksys WRT54G box. No wired connections on any 54G LAN ports.

I can get the DD-WRT status page ok. The correct cable IP address does show on the top right of the DD-WRT status page. But I've tried several things, including MAC address cloning and can't get a connection via the WTR54G.

Any ideas appreciated very much. Thanks!
Sponsor
LLB
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set the routers LAN IP to 192.168.2.1.
E.J. Shatner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:27    Post subject: Solved this problem before Reply with quote
and here's what you do:

1) Disconnect lan cable from WRT-54

2) Verify the Zoom cable modem is operating ok with Cox Communications on its own = plug lan cable into your computer. This will also verify your lan cable is working.

3) 30-30-30 reset on your WRT-54 (to put it at default)

4) Access the DD-WRT start page, enter your "new" username & passwoord AND verify DD-WRT firmware is now at default settings.

5) Remove power from Zoom modem & WRT router; WAIT 30 SECONDS before continuing

6) Connect lan cable from Zoom cable modem to WRT router (yes the lan port is labeled "internet" = put it there)

7) Power up everything at the same time. I usually insert the Zoom's power plug first, then the WRT router.

That's it. Within 30 to 120 seconds you should have wireless internet.

This worked for me in the past when I had the same problem. Somehow, BOTH boxes need to start at the same time! Cox cable seems to just use the modems MAC for everything, so I thing you do NOT need to clone the MAC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: