Optware - How to install or restore after firmware upgrade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
okki
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 20:32    Post subject: Optware - How to install or restore after firmware upgrade? Reply with quote
I installed Optware on my WNR-3500L which was really easy. But what if I upgrade the firmware at a later date or reset the system? The script does take almost 20 minutes to download all the packages and install them. I'd rather find a way to re-use the Optware installation on my USB drive and 'reactivate' it within DD-WRT.

So I need a way to setup the following on a fresh DD-WRT:
    - When booting it has to mount the file systems (/opt and /mnt) and use the swap partition.
    - It has to install all services so they start at boot.
    - It has to add the PATH environment variable to include all the necessary optware paths.

... and maybe more things that I forgot. Is there a script available that does this? Thanks!

Last edited by okki on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:06; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
if optware is installed to an external drive (usb) then when settings are reset all you need to do is enable usb support in services, and select the mount point as /opt/ apply and reboot
okki
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Really? I didn't expect it to be so simple! But what happens upon reboot then? Is it a script that is started by the firmware that mounts the optware partition and starts services and all? I don't have to fill in anything in "Run-on-mount Script Name", do I? So how does it work?
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Installing/restoring optware on an upgraded firmware *is* as simple as setting your mount point. Like many linux distros, there is a directory with 'startup' scripts that are executed on the mount point being mounted. If you are using frater's "Optware the Right Way", everything will be ready for that first mount. If you installed optware the "old fashioned way", there are paths to the correct locations assuming the mount point is set correctly. Upgrading your firmware could not be simpler. Wink

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
okki
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, I think I get it now. So when booting it is set to automatically mount the first partition it finds (?) to /opt, according to the 'Disk Mount Point' setting in the web interface. And then another script looks to find the /opt folder, and if found it will load optware and all its packages.

Is that how it goes? Or at least a little bit? Very Happy
Oh and one more thing - what happens if I take out my USB drive? I guess I shouldn't do that... but is it OK to do it when the router is powered down? So that when it boots it works just like an 'Optware-less' device?
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
All your assumptions are correct....
You do need a recent firmware.

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: