Asus RT-N12 now supported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
MoneyNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
To run a repeater is very easy using 684.

Go to status then select wireless.
http://192.168.1.1/Status_Wireless.asp

Bottom of this page is a site survey button.

Click it and see the wifi you want to connect to.
Click join.

Next page that should auto load is the wireless page.
http://192.168.1.1/Wireless_Basic.asp
Basic settings

Code:
Physical Interface wl0 - SSID [linksys1] HWAddr [00:26:18:aa:bb:cc]
Wireless Mode -> Repeater
Wireless Network Mode -> mixed
Wireless Network Name (SSID) -> linksys1
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) -> 200
Network Configuration -> bridged

You might want to create a new wifi network "linksys2" , this will be under the virtual interfaces on this same page just click add and fill in the detail.

Example:
Virtual Interfaces
Code:
Virtual Interfaces wl0.1 SSID [linksys2] HWAddr [02:26:18:aa:bb:cd]
Wireless Network Name (SSID) -> linksys2
Wireless SSID Broadcast -> enable
AP Isolation -> disable
Network Configuration -> Bridged

Now go to the wireless security page.
http://192.168.1.1/WL_WPATable.asp

The first one you would see is the remote wifi router linksys1 in my example above.

The 2nd is the new created wifi or linksys2

Set the wep /wpa/wpa2 for linksys1 and linksys2, linksys1 for me is open and linksys2 is wpa for testing until I can set linksys1 to wpa once I am sure it works well.

Code:
Virtual Interfaces wl0.1 SSID [linksys2] HWAddr [02:26:18:aa:bb:cd]
Security Mode -> wpa personal
WPA Algorithms -> TKIP
WPA Shared Key -> ********
Key Renewal Interval -> 3600 secs.

Now give it a bit of time to apply the settings and then possibly reboot and should be fully working from PC to linksys2 via linksys1 to cable modem to internet.

I have to set my linksys2 wan ip as static as this works better for me.

I am not a expert but this works for me for now, images would make it 100 times easier.

You would need to change the linksys1 and linksys2 main ip's 192.168.1.1 so it is not the same or conflicting or to what works for you.
http://192.168.1.1/index.asp
Network Setup
Code:
Router IP
Local IP Address-> 192.168.2.1
Subnet Mask -> 255.255.255.0
Gateway -> 0.0.0.0
Local DNS -> 0.0.0.0

Hope this helps. Now to decipher the bonding http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Bonding FAQ part into english / newby to connect my remote wifi + local CAt5e and produce 1 wifi signal that glues the 2 connections together for speed and performance.

Last edited by MoneyNutz on Fri Jul 16, 2010 0:52; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
MoneyNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 22:01    Post subject: Re: Slow Wireless Speeds Reply with quote
rimmi2002 wrote:
I just got the NT12 router. Before this had a Netgear WGR 614v6.

Got the latest version of DD-WRT (v24-sp2 (06/09/10) mini - build 14584M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko) on there. Things seemed to work great on the surface.

I have comcast cable 12mbs/4mbs. Problem is that all my wireless cards dl very slow. Speed test shows speeds of 2.5mbs down and 3.5 mbs up. This doesn't change even if I place the computer right next to the router for a max signal.

My lan line gets great speeds 15mbs down and 3.5 mbs up. Through my wireless connections (my HTPC and Laptop) I can't dl any faster than 200 kbs/sec, before with my old router I reached speeds of 1.2 megabytes/sec easily.

Anything in the firmware that could be causing this? Should I get the standard firmware instead of the mini?

I am using WPA security in mixed N/G mode with router as an AP. Its my only router in the houes.

Please advice any help will be appreciated. thanks.

Possible problems:
1. Use channel 7 instead of ch1 as 1 and portable land line phone does get issues sometimes. G might have better results but have to check each channel using N and G only "2x12" tests yippee.

2. Signal strength on the status page for wireless how is the pc's doings need 50% to be decent.

3.1 If using mostly default settings disable afterburner.
3.2 Disable frame burst.
3.3 Basic rate -> all instead of 1-2MB/s "100-200kb/s" limit.
3.4 TX Power set to 81 or 118 seems to be good without boosting noise + signal at the same time.
3.5 Wireless Multimedia Support Settings
WMM Support -> off
http://192.168.1.1/Wireless_Advanced-wl0.asp

4.1 STP off helps sometimes with this for me.
4.2 Use DNSMasq for DHCP -> off
Use DNSMasq for DNS -> off
DHCP-Authoritative -> off
http://192.168.1.1/index.asp

5. NAT / QoS -> QOS = off had issues with this in the past might be fixed already.
http://192.168.1.1/QoS.asp

6. Security -> Firewall, multicast unselected, enabled it has issues with some printers Lexmark + win7, worth testing as well. Apple bonjour needs multicast as well, on windows or apple.

7. Right click your wifi on the laptop + desktop or in device manager advanced for each one set it optimized for distance and power saving can be disabled but might cause laptop battery power to drain faster.

8. Lastly update the drivers / wireless drivers as the drivers that comes with Win7 dvd is well mmmhhh....

Drivers is usually a very big problem.
gothfebrio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
there is still drop in wifi connection after 1 to 2 days uptime.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think my router losing throughput, i usually transfer file 7 to 9MB/s, now its like 2 to 3MB/s...reboot doesnt solve this...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
gothfebrio wrote:
i think my router losing throughput, i usually transfer file 7 to 9MB/s, now its like 2 to 3MB/s...reboot doesnt solve this...

Have you tried any of the latest builds?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
gothfebrio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
gothfebrio wrote:

Have you tried any of the latest builds?

not yet, but after leaving the router on for some time it goes back to the normal throughput. this is normal?

*using the latest build now, same result.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
gothfebrio wrote:

not yet, but after leaving the router on for some time it goes back to the normal throughput. this is normal?

*using the latest build now, same result.

Mine does not seem to flux like that, im using a different build though, eko 14818, but i don't think it should matter.

On a side note, im only using the rt-n12 for a repeater, so i don't know if that matters in your setup or not.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
MoneyNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had major issues with repeater wifi and 14815 + other stability issues. Same as reported earlier about 14815. Asus 1.0.0.6/7 and tomato does not have this issues.

Using peacock 30/30/30 5mins method on each firmware install.

1day bug
At times it felt like "1 day after upgrade" there is a virus / trojan horse or something messing with my pc's and destabilizing other routers / gateways on my network.

This seems to get into the wifi card in my laptop and desktop usb wifi firmware or attach to it and as I connect to other wifi routers eventually infect them and mess with the internet connection.

Happens in:
Both in windows xp 32 / 64 / win7 virtualbox usb zd1211rw / in linux live cd's from ubuntu to gentoo after cold pc / laptop boot. Also messed with Imac + OSX 10.6 in a similar way.

Seems to be related to the dhcp or affect the dhcp in windows much more and then enter into the dd-wrt 14815 dhcp / static ip ect. wifi client / repeater settings or other wifi routers stock manfc. firmware.

Now using "tomato 1.28 latest beta mini" as a test to see how it does.
Can report much more stable + max download speeds has increased consistently by about 10% to 15% over "14815 dd-wrt rt-n12" with 45 speed / voip / iptv tests.

I also seem to get consistent speeds from all over the world now instead of what looks like bottlenecks with some locations in 14815 and extreme varying with 14815. Made sure I tested same time of day with same congestion.

Used same laptop with possible infection + newly formatted / clean install desktop on 14815 with problems and later on tomato to test where is the issues and smooth sailing on tomato 37 hours into it. So not my rt-n12 hardware nor windows with possible infection.

Hardware: 2x bcm43xx, zd1211rw, atheros? in Imac + rt-n12 and old and stable linksys for testing.

Tested with 6 antivirus / anti spyware / anti trojan in lin + win and 0 viruses directly or from KAV / other anti virus live / rescue cd's.

Last edited by MoneyNutz on Wed Jul 28, 2010 22:58; edited 1 time in total
MoneyNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems that the site survey is reporting incorrectly on the quality / noise / signal strength in 14815 or is calculating it incorrectly.

Compared old dd-wrt minm. default + 14815 + tomato + Asus 1.0.0.6/7 .

This might explain the dropped wifi repeater or sluggish / disconnects on what seems to be good signal / noise ratios 10 to 30 diffs. in site survey in 14815 rt-n12. Can also see it once connected to remote wifi and wireless status screen "connected clients" bottom of the page.

Posting this here to find a fix not to complain.

PS> is anyone playing with the 1.0.0.6 source code tgz on the asus cd ? "D:\GPL\GPL_RT-N12_1.0.0.6.tar.gz"
doccbst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 14:22    Post subject: N12 Repeater Reply with quote
MoneyNutz wrote:
Seems that the site survey is reporting incorrectly on the quality / noise / signal strength in 14815 or is calculating it incorrectly.

Compared old dd-wrt minm. default + 14815 + tomato + Asus 1.0.0.6/7 .

This might explain the dropped wifi repeater or sluggish / disconnects on what seems to be good signal / noise ratios 10 to 30 diffs. in site survey in 14815 rt-n12. Can also see it once connected to remote wifi and wireless status screen "connected clients" bottom of the page.

Posting this here to find a fix not to complain.

PS> is anyone playing with the 1.0.0.6 source code tgz on the asus cd ? "D:\GPL\GPL_RT-N12_1.0.0.6.tar.gz"

Connect using ASUS firmware, cmd ipconfig /all then set wireless client static IP, gateway, DNS server exactly as shown in ipconfig.
I have tried everything in asus and ddwrt firmware for repeater mode but this worked for me giving speeds from 1.3 MB/s to 3.0 MB/s and ping 141 MB/s with grade B connection to open local AP.
Connection stable for over a week with no drops just some slowdown due to traffic I imagine.
My theory is the broadcom chip or XP has trouble with all 3 units, "Host AP", "Router repeater", "client PC" being/using different dhcp servers anyway when connection fails the client IP changes to 169.254.x.x IP indicating a corrupt dhcp problem and netsh or other utilities failed to resolve the problem.
This worked and I want another N12 for testing DD-WRT repeater function. I think probably best router out there right now for +-$30.00.
Wish I knew more but I am learning
infinity2134
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:43    Post subject: flashing help Reply with quote
I just tried for a couple of hours to get my n12 flashed but came up short with a couple of different methods. I was wondering if something I was doing was holding up the process. I am flashing it on my laptop and I already have a linksys that is flashed and providing my wireless internet. Do I need to unplug that while I am doing this? Do I need to disable the wireless card on my laptop? Is there anyone that can help me or message me for some correspondence so I can get through this firmware flash.

Thanks in advance
DakotaKid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wiki is here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N12

You do need to disable your wireless connection and enable your wired connection. The easiest way I have found to do that is to open your Network Connections page where you can simply right click and enable or right click and disable on the connection. With wireless active, download the trx file (if new flash from Asus fw to dd-wrt) or bin file (if upgrading to new version of dd-wrt). Then, disable your wireless connection, set your IP address to static value of 192.168.1.9 or similar, enable your wired connection, open Internet Explorer (Firefox not recommended for this step), enter 192.168.1.1 in the url to get to the ASUS interface, log in, go to the firmware screen, browse to your laptop for the TRX firmware file, flash the upgrade and wait about 5 minutes to do anything on the laptop. Don't re-enable wireless and DHCP on the laptop until the flash update is complete + at least one more minute.
greatzt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:02    Post subject: RT N-12 + Tomato drop connection Reply with quote
I have Ausu RT N-12 with latest teddy bear Tomato firmware (http://tomatousb.org/download)NoUSB Std version. everything works much better than the Asus stock firmware which gave me very slow speed, except dropping connection every 2-3 hours. My computer shows "no internet access" . This does not happen when stock firmware was used or when my old Dlink G router was used. My internet vendor is Comcast 12mb/4mb. The mode is B/N mix and security is WAP2 Person AES. Now I have to disconnect wireless connection and reconnect it every 2-3 hours. Does anyone know how to solve it? Thank you!
whiskeymcclinton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:31    Post subject: From Asus 1.0.0.7 to dd-wrt 14815 to tomatousb build 47 Reply with quote
Well,

I've flashed the router through all 3 firmwares, and I gotta say...Tomatousb wins. Solid PPPoE WAN connection and solid wireless (finally). Turned wireless transmit power down from 42mw to 36mw. Have 1 wired desktop, 1 wireless G notebook, 1 wireless N notebook, Wii, Blackberry Bold 2, iPod touch, and a Nokia N800 all playing nicely on the wireless.
Site survey tool works great. I like the whole gui.
Running stable for 4 days, no slowdown, no wireless drop, no reboots needed.
I'll be watching the dd-wrt, tomatousb, and even asus firmware releases, as I will lean to whichever shows continued support for this router.
whiskeymcclinton
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:39    Post subject: Re: RT N-12 + Tomato drop connection Reply with quote
greatzt wrote:
I have Ausu RT N-12 with latest teddy bear Tomato firmware (http://tomatousb.org/download)NoUSB Std version. everything works much better than the Asus stock firmware which gave me very slow speed, except dropping connection every 2-3 hours. My computer shows "no internet access" . This does not happen when stock firmware was used or when my old Dlink G router was used. My internet vendor is Comcast 12mb/4mb. The mode is B/N mix and security is WAP2 Person AES. Now I have to disconnect wireless connection and reconnect it every 2-3 hours. Does anyone know how to solve it? Thank you!

Try leaving the Wireless Network mode to Auto and set the Transmit Power a little lower (under Advanced->Wireless). The default on tomato is 42mw, some people have dialed it all the way down to 17. I have mine at 36.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 20 of 40
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: