Safe to run MTD ERASE NVRAM on WRT610n?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:

does the erase command just remove the variable strings...where mtd removes the string and the variable clearing the partition completely?

Yes the nvram erase command will keep the nvram structure (header, checksum, length) in the nvram area but will erase the variables.

The mtd command will erase a flash partition (containing one or more flash sectors depending on which partition it is) leaving the partition data set to FF's (flash erase state).

I am of the opinion that nvram erase is the standard command to use and that the mtd command should only be used if the nvram variables are so trashed that the nvram erase command can't find the variables and therefore fails to erase them.

The mtd command can also be used when changing the size of the nvram area (converting a 320 or 610v2 into an E2000/E3000) to get rid of the previous nvram structure.

It is not a command to be used for normal nvram variable erasing, it is not the first command to use.
You don't format your hard disk when you want to get rid of a few files..

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
And, if you get the syntax wrong with mtd, I understand you will be jtagging....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
socal87 wrote:

Actually yes, it's quite annoying. Proper grammar and detailed explanations work wonders. Though I understand if English is not your native language.

LOL man get out of sun NOW Smile
And yes yoo doo not need 30x3 neither Peacock to flush router How yoo lika meine Unglishe now Razz
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
uncle bob wrote:

LOL man get out of sun NOW Smile
And yes yoo doo not need 30x3 neither Peacock to flush router How yoo lika meine Unglishe now Razz

Oh, you are such a tough guy.
I guess you also kill mosquitoes with a shot-gun, just so you can show people that you have a shot-gun..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Peabody wrote:
And, if you get the syntax wrong with mtd, I understand you will be jtagging....

Yes...this is correct....I've trashed the flash chip by using the mtd command in the wrong order.

IF you must use the mtd command to clear the nvram partition the syntax is

mtd erase nvram

IF you reverse the "erase" and "mtd" it will blow away the chip data and you MUST use jtag to recover.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Peabody wrote:

Yes...this is correct....I've trashed the flash chip by using the mtd command in the wrong order.

mtd erase nvram

IF you reverse the "erase" and "mtd" it will blow away the chip data and you MUST use jtag to recover.

redhawk

I can confirm that Twisted Evil

Also.. MTD may erase partitions that are hidden & protected and should not be erased. Factory partition on a wrt600, board data on a wndr3300, etc..

Another thing I screw up.. Telnet or cammands tab.. the command is "erase nvram" Using serial at the cfe prompt. The comand is reversed.. "nvram erase"

BTW.. I was looking for what the switches do.. -f , -r, etc. Couldn't find any info. Anyone got a link to shed some additional light on the subject?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:
Peabody wrote:

mtd erase nvram

redhawk

I can confirm that Twisted Evil

Also.. MTD may erase partitions that are hidden & protected and should not be erased. Factory partition on a wrt600, board data on a wndr3300, etc..

Another thing I screw up.. Telnet or cammands tab.. the command is "erase nvram" Using serial at the cfe prompt. The comand is reversed.. "nvram erase"

BTW.. I was looking for what the switches do.. -f , -r, etc. Couldn't find any info. Anyone got a link to shed some additional light on the subject?

MTD recognizes these commands:

unlock unlock the device

erase erase all data on device

write <imagefile>|- write <imagefile> (use - for stdin) to device

Following options are available:

-q quiet mode (once: no [w] on writing,
twice: no status messages)

-r reboot after successful command

-f force write without trx checks

-e <device> erase <device> before executing the command

Also i am unsure if this MTD version specific, there are different versions of MTD and i do not know if the newer versions bring any different variables with them.

Edit: i am looking into version differences now, will post back if i find anything.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: