Airlink 101 AR670W - Chip & Flash Details

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
xzile wrote:
I can't find the Airlink AR670W in the latest r14896 release. Is it no longer supported?

It's in the Router Database.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Search for "airlink".

It's the last known DD-WRT Recommended Build as of 8-9-2010.

Last edited by bbb_forever on Thu May 12, 2011 19:17; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ShIzNiTs
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
xzile wrote:
I can't find the Airlink AR670W in the latest r14896 release. Is it no longer supported?

These are the drivers from July 16, 2010:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads

Downloads › others › eko › BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 › 07-16-10-r14815 › airlink101-ar670w

There is a more recent folder for August 8, 2010 but this has the AR690W not the AR670W, these ones from July 16, 2010 work well.

What are the best settings for maximum speed? I have an Intel 5100AGN and my wife has an Intel 4965AG (I do not believe this is an N router) however, I bought an Airlink101 N Wireless USB Adapter that is the size of a dime.

If I disable her wireless and use that along with my N what settings should I have the router on? Is there a way to not lose any speed/bandwidth bonus for my laptop off of a g/n mixed signal and have her just use the regular G; or will it be better if its set to N only?

I read the following from an earlier post from bbb_forever stating:

bbb_forever wrote:

If you cannot reach N-speeds in NG-Mixed mode, it is NOT a DD-WRT problem.

For the full explanation, go read this thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=60374

If you want to run at N-speeds, all the wireless devices on that wireless channel should have adapter properties set to 40Mhz wide-band N-speed.

So basically where do I set this 40Mhz on my cards end?

I also read you need 3 antennas for the advantages of N speed, is this true? I remember also reading something about the antennas on the AR670W are not different bands, like its 2.4ghz only rather than having both 2.4ghz and 5.4ghz. Is this problematic? Is it worth getting a big bad router for $80?
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
ShIzNiTs wrote:

So basically where do I set this 40Mhz on my cards end?

I also read you need 3 antennas for the advantages of N speed, is this true? I remember also reading something about the antennas on the AR670W are not different bands, like its 2.4ghz only rather than having both 2.4ghz and 5.4ghz. Is this problematic? Is it worth getting a big bad router for $80?

Check the Network Connections control panel, find your adapter, and "configure" its properties.

Or you may have to install the 3rd party software and drivers that comes with the adapter, and search there.

It might NOT even say, 40 Mhz. It might be called "Wide-band" = Enable or 1 or something along those lines.

----------------
You will just have to try it and see if it's problematic. It really depends on if there are others in the same area causing interference on the 2.4Ghz band or not.

Getting a dual-band router will be effective ONLY IF your adapter is also capable of supporting dual-band 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

----------------
The 3rd antenna on some N-routers is probably to support the 5Ghz band.

Since the AR670W only support 2.4Ghz, it has 2 antennas only.

Other routers, like the Linksys 320N, have reportedly lots of internal antennas strips, like 7 or 8, to make up for NOT having external antennas.
I can only guess as to what those extra antennas do.

Antennas matter only if you're have a broadcast/reception issue, then I assume more might be better, but not necessarily.

Wireless networking is a trial and error process.

You will just have to try and see what the wireless performance is like for your particular surroundings and environment.

Last edited by bbb_forever on Mon Aug 09, 2010 15:26; edited 1 time in total
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
ShIzNiTs wrote:
Is there a way to not lose any speed/bandwidth bonus for my laptop off of a g/n mixed signal and have her just use the regular G; or will it be better if its set to N only?

Well, the only way is to turn it OFF all G-clients on your network.
Once the G-clients get ON, your N speed will drop.

Better to set to N-only.

-------------------------------
When Wireless LANs Collide: How To Beat The Wireless Crowd :
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-howto/31190-when-wireless-lans-collide-how-to-beat-the-wireless-crowd

Excerpt:
"An 802.11g network has a best-case useable bandwidth of around 25Mbps. 802.11n can move this up to anywhere between 50 and 100 Mbps. But if any 11g clients are also actively using the same radio on an 802.11n router, throughput for both will be reduced by more than half."
ajeck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbb_forever wrote:
xzile wrote:

Just go use the 07-16-10-r14815 build then.

I am curious as to why the past two builds have excluded the AR670w myself. While I understand that there are previous builds... it would also be nice to know why suddenly it has stopped being supported.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 06-12-10-r14594: Good build.
Used for the past 2 months.

--------------------------------
Build 07-16-10-r14815: Bad build for me.
This build caused some stalling issues for my Firefox 3.6.8 browser.

Firefox 3.6.8 would stall on URL = my.yahoo.com, www.cnn.com, and a few other websites I visited.

And www.cnn.com was rendered as simple html links without any graphics, even after multiple re-loads, and re-launching of the browser. This is incorrect behavior.

--------------------------------
So I flashed back to build 06-12-10-r14594, that I was previously using for the past 2 months.

Then closing and relaunching the Firefox browser,
www.cnn.com was rendered properly with graphics as expected.
And my.yahoo.com and some other websites did NOT stall on this build.

---------------------------------
I did NOT have time do extensive testing yet to determine if it was a browser issue or firmware issue.

But I'm staying on build 06-12-10-r14594 (and NOT build 07-16-10-r14815) for the time being until a build AFTER r14815 becomes available.

Last edited by bbb_forever on Thu May 12, 2011 19:20; edited 1 time in total
AntLee29
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
14896 for the AR670W can be found in the router database section. Not sure why it isn't on the main list though.
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
AntLee29 wrote:
14896 for the AR670W can be found in the router database section. Not sure why it isn't on the main list though.

Build 14896 is working well for me.

Search for Airlink.
caricell
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
bbb_forever wrote:
AntLee29 wrote:

Build 14896 is working well for me.

Search for Airlink.

Can anyone help..?

I have the Airlink 670w 150N version of this router. Will the dd-wrt r.14896 work on this?

Thanks in advance!
djklmnop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone still have the original 1.01 airlink firmware? I can't find it on their site any longer as they no longer support it.

Please provide if you do, thanks!
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
djklmnop wrote:
Does anyone still have the original 1.01 airlink firmware? I can't find it on their site any longer as they no longer support it.

Please provide if you do, thanks!

It's attached in one of the posts in this thread.
If you really want it, you'll have to search it.
Try pages 10 through 35.
djklmnop
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nevermind, reading that 1.01 was removed for a good reason and wasn't very stable. I reverted back to 1.00. DD-WRT didn't manage my connections too well and constantly crashed and dropped connections and just doesn't play well with my DSL modem.
dcoryh192
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
colecaz wrote:
To get 300 and 150 speeds I set the mode to N-Only, Channel 1, width 40, control channel lower. Security to WPA2 Personal, AES. Then I get either 300 or 150 depending on the capability of the network adaptor.

If I then set the wireless mode to NG-Mixed, the adaptors quickly drop back to 54 MHz.

BTW, for info, my router is an AR670W.

I noticed this as well. The problem is, for some reason, even though the router is in NG-Mixed mode, it only broadcasts in G.
To solve this, just set the wireless mode to "Mixed". Now you can get N-speeds (up to 130 Mbps) as long as there are no G clients on the network.
moonlighter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a newbie when comes to dd-wrt. Recently I was able to installed dd-wrt, build r14815, on my Airlink AR670W after getting help from the thread posts. Thanks!

It has been running for 10+ days w/o any problem until I tried to use Google Voice today. GVoice is simply no longer working! Sad Does anybody have similar problem and don't mind share your experience? How could I recover GVoice service in my AR670W?

Thank a lot!
beta1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone having trouble setting up virtual SSIDs? iv been trying to setup a 2nd SSID with a different security code but its not working correctly. the router does create it and my devices see it but after attempting to connect to this new SSID, it either works for only a few min or it gives an error connecting. i have yet to try out the newer build 14896 but for anyone else who is attempting or has attempted this, is this a bug that needs to be worked out of the firmware or is there something that im not doing correctly?

my router:

AirLink 101 AR670 w/ dd-wrt v24 14311
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 48, 49, 50  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 44 of 50
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: