selectable vs. simultaneous band wrt

siafu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 23:17    Post subject: selectable vs. simultaneous band wrt Reply with quote
I'd like to get two wrts and use 5Ghz to connect them and 2.4Ghz for clients. I was looking at the Linksys E2000 that supports 'a' and 'b/g/n' but noticed that it is advertised as "selectable" dual-band rather than the e3000 which is "simultaneous" dual-band.

What's the difference between these two capabilities?

Will I be able to use E2000s this way without sacrificing client bandwidth or do I have to go to a "simultaneous" wrt like the E3000?

WZR-HP-AG300H & DIR-412 (Nairobi - Kenya)
WRT54GS v3 (Bunia - DRC)
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 0:12    Post subject: Re: selectable vs. simultaneous band wrt Reply with quote
siafu wrote:
I'd like to get two wrts and use 5Ghz to connect them and 2.4Ghz for clients. I was looking at the Linksys E2000 that supports 'a' and 'b/g/n' but noticed that it is advertised as "selectable" dual-band rather than the e3000 which is "simultaneous" dual-band.

What's the difference between these two capabilities?

Will I be able to use E2000s this way without sacrificing client bandwidth or do I have to go to a "simultaneous" wrt like the E3000?

The difference here is that the E3000 has dual N radios (yes 2 radios) one of them runs in 2.4 and the other in 5Ghz, so in what you are stating in what you want to do, you would want this unit, because you could run one of the radios in 5Ghz for the bridge, and run the other radio in 2.4Ghz for the clients.

The E2000 is a single radio unit, meaning you have to run it in either 2.4 or 5Ghz mode, does not do simultaneous dual due to its single radio.

There is a cheaper alternative to all this though, you could get 1 E3000 and get 1 Netgear WNDR3300 (which is a dual radio unit as well, just not dual N unit, has one N radio that can run in either 2.4 or 5Ghz and one B/G radio, which can only run in 2.4Ghz) the E3000 is somewhat pricey whereas the wndr3300 is about $37 at newegg for the refurb unit.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
siafu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I was afraid that "selectable" was marketing speak for 1 radio. Thanks for the suggestions about the Netgear. It seems like around $150 is the going rate for dual-radio units (with the exception of the WNDR3300). What's your opinion of the D-Link DIR-825? It's $130 on newegg, which is less than the Linksys.
WZR-HP-AG300H & DIR-412 (Nairobi - Kenya)
WRT54GS v3 (Bunia - DRC)
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the d-link i have read its pretty much like the Netgear WNDR3700, if so, then it would be a pretty nice unit, but i will say this in my exp broadcom chips have been easier to bridge thus far, the D-link and netgear wndr3700 is Atheros based, so linking the routers is somewhat different than with broadcom.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: