Converting a WRT320N into E2000 (Success!)

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
fallout330 wrote:
Hey buddee, can you go over what more NVRAM space would mean...better performance? Bigger Builds available?

Respectfully asked and thanks!

NVRAM is a portion of the flash where all the settings are stored. On most models NVRAM is 32KB and it can fill up fast, especially on dual radio devices that have to store all those extra settings for the 2nd radio. With the E2000 CFE there's 60KB of NVRAM space. If you fill up NVRAM then you can have partial setting loss which can cause erratic behavior or even a complete settings loss. You can check how much NVRAM space you have left by running this command and you'll want to keep a few thousand free if you have ttraff enabled for WAN bandwidth logging.

nvram show >/dev/null

Sponsor
RiStaR
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
RiStaR wrote:
Have just completed this mod and there's definitely some speed improvements on the download stream - so thanks!

I just wanted to add that I ignored the country field and the router works just fine so do try at your own risk Smile

Excellent, i am guessing you are in EU? If so, are all the channels available for you still?

Hi buddee,

No I'm in Singapore (SG) in Asia and the channels are still available from what I can tell Smile
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
RiStaR wrote:

Hi buddee,

No I'm in Singapore (SG) in Asia and the channels are still available from what I can tell Smile

Most excellent, i am mainly concern with the 1-13 channels in the 2.4Ghz band that overseas users have available to them, but if it works for you then it should be safe for other overseas users as well, but as always, for any EU~Asia users out there, until we actually get an EU E2000 CFE, try at your own risk

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also... This build fixes any led light issues people may be having with their E2000.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=474134&highlight=#474134

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
fallout330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
fallout330 wrote:
Hey buddee, can you go over what more NVRAM space would mean...better performance? Bigger Builds available?

Respectfully asked and thanks!

NVRAM is a portion of the flash where all the settings are stored. On most models NVRAM is 32KB and it can fill up fast, especially on dual radio devices that have to store all those extra settings for the 2nd radio. With the E2000 CFE there's 60KB of NVRAM space. If you fill up NVRAM then you can have partial setting loss which can cause erratic behavior or even a complete settings loss. You can check how much NVRAM space you have left by running this command and you'll want to keep a few thousand free if you have ttraff enabled for WAN bandwidth logging.

nvram show >/dev/null

Thanks for the nice explanation and tip phuzi0n!

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
just converted my EU wrt320n with the cfe in this thread. so far so good.
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
diesel2k wrote:
just converted my EU wrt320n with the cfe in this thread. so far so good.

Good stuff, i have already had 3 other EU users use this same process, seems to work well. All of their channels are in place in the 2.4Ghz spectrum (1-13) which is mainly what i was concerned with.

jvwrt
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
This is how to turn your WRT320N into an E2000.

I just followed this procedure and upgraded my WRT320N.

Notes that might help others-

+ My WRT320N arrived as a "Dead" router- some tool had flashed a WRT160N firmware on it and the switch ports didn't appear to work. I was able to flash a standard WRT320N firmware to it and then follow the procedure that buddee provided.

+ On at least my WRT320N, I couldn't get the firmware upgrade to take, I kept getting upgrade failed from the web GUI. Turns out that I had to telnet back in and delete the CFE.BIN from the /tmp directory, then the upgrade worked for me on th next try.

+ To reinforce what buddee notes, BE PATIENT. The router will reboot three times, and it takes a while before you get back online. In my case, something greater than 8 minutes from the firmware upload until having a GUI again.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also with this unit, for cooling i was using a piece of wood to hold up the backside of the router for air flow, i am now tried this with putting raised rubber footing on the bottom (pic shown is of my friends WRT610N after adding the bottom feet).

Seems to work quite well for these style units.

cooln.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.5 KB
 Viewed:  129504 Time(s)

cooln.jpg

fallout330
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the extra info jvwrt!

Very cool simple Mod buddee!

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, working fine here other wrt320n EU and eko 14974 e2k-e3k big build

In my case, the update took me about 1-2 minutes. Anyway, I think will be interesting to found some EU CFE

RT-AC56U -> Merlin 374.42_2
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Also with this unit, for cooling i was using a piece of wood to hold up the backside of the router for air flow, i am now tried this with putting raised rubber footing on the bottom (pic shown is of my friends WRT610N after adding the bottom feet).

Seems to work quite well for these style units.

I wax my shinny routers too (sunday mornings). They run better when waxed.. Kit ScratchOUT is what I use.. I also send all repairs home with a wax job (bikini wax) Razz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

I wax my shinny routers too (sunday mornings). They run better when waxed.. Kit ScratchOUT is what I use.. I also send all repairs home with a wax job (bikini wax) Razz

Not a bad idea! and best of all you provided me with a most massive LOL for the day. thanks barry Laughing

barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
barryware wrote:

Not a bad idea! and best of all you provided me with a most massive LOL for the day. thanks barry Laughing

That's what I am here for.. Nobody listens to me anyway. Confused

Last edited by barryware on Mon Aug 23, 2010 14:12; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I always just used windex and a soft washcloth, but the wax would make a much better hold and just looks like it would be cool.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39, 40, 41  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 41
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: