HELP! Streaming to XBox 360... NOOB!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
denraweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:28    Post subject: HELP! Streaming to XBox 360... NOOB! Reply with quote
Ok, so I bought a linksys router awhile back and the guy was talking about ddwrt, but I didn't pay much attention. He just assured me it's good for the router.

Well I recently got a new xbox and can't connect and stream from my pc. I have no idea what certain terms are and really don't want to learn. Just want to be able to stream, THAT'S IT. So if someone can get me a step by step tutorial, that would be great. I just reflashed my router to DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std-nokaid. Thought it might fix my problem, but it didn't When I run windows media center to set up my extended (xbox), it always comes back as "cannot set up extender". When I click "Show online help", it always takes me to a short paragraph expaining this issue is caused by the router stating I need to enable UPnP and Multicasting. I have done both of these, I think, with no success whatsoever (UPnP: NAT/QoS>UPnP Enable UPnP and Enable Clear port forwaring at startup. Multicasting: Security>Firewall Check "filter multicast"). What am I doing wrong for the WMC to not be able to set up my xbox/extender?

And please please please if you ask for info, let me know how I can retrieve it, whether it be from the router, pc, or xbox. I'm not savvy with the whole router talk. But I can follow instructions fine. So please if anyone can help, please let me know.

Router: Linksys WRT54GL DD-WRT v24 SP2
PC: Windows 7 Ultimate
Extender: Xbox 360 Slim 250GB

All connected through ethernet, none on wireless.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm i would think if it says to enable multicast, then you would need to untick that in the firewall settings, having it ticked is disabling it, because your setting it to filter multicast.

Also there is info in the dd-wrt wiki about setting up an Xbox 360, you may want to reference it, it worked fine for me.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
denraweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. Gonna try it now and then check out the wiki if it doesn't work. I have a feeling I'm gonna have issues still, but hopefully not. Thanks again. Will post back when I see what happens.
h4x0r
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
denraweb wrote:
Thanks. Gonna try it now and then check out the wiki if it doesn't work. I have a feeling I'm gonna have issues still, but hopefully not. Thanks again. Will post back when I see what happens.

"Filtering" multicasting means you are BLOCKING it. So you got that upside-down
denraweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yea it's still not working. it's going back an forth from "cannot find extender" to "cannot configure extender". Is there a link to the original firmware that came with my router so I can just wipe out this ddwrt 'cuz I think it's way more than I need. I only need my router to link my computers to the internet. Nothing more. So just gonna reset it back to the linksys firmware that it was shipped with. Any links and how-tos?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
your problem is with win7 (pc's firewall).. not the router.

set the xbox up with a static ip. turn off upnp, both on the router and in win7. forward port 3074 (udp & tcp), and port 88 (udp only)to the xbox's ip. That is only for xbox live,.. you don't need to forward anything from lan to lan.

And.. fyi.. the spi firewall in the router is only for wan connections.. again, not lan to lan.

turn the xbox on. Set up the xbox from within media center on the pc. If you do it that way, media center takes care of pc's firewall stuff assuming you are using the winblows firewall. If you are using other firewall software like norton 360, then it gets a little deeper.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Problem solved!

Uninstalled ddwrt, installed factory Linksys firmware, enabled multicast, and voila! It completely set up and configured my extender without any issues. I even watch a movie on my xbox using media center to stream!

Thanks for the help, but dd-wrt is not for me if it doesn't work with my xbox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: