ASUS RT N16 extension channel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ddwrt4life
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 20:20    Post subject: ASUS RT N16 extension channel Reply with quote
Hello,

I just recently purchased an Asus RT-N16 router and was successful in flashing it with the dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin build.

I have been trying to set up a extension channel, but can't figure out how to do it. I searched the forums for an answer, but can't find one. I was wondering if someone could please help me out?

Thank you for your help.
Sponsor
Eko
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahmmmm... what is extension channel???
ddwrt4life
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry about that I should of been more clearer on what I was asking help for.

I am trying to set up a N network.

Correct me if I am wrong. A single channel is 20MHz in width and when two channels are bonded they are 40MHz in width.

It is possible to use either 20MHz or 40MHz channels with IEEE 802.11n. The two channels are known as the primary or control channel and the secondary or extension channel. The primary/control channel performs the same functions as it would in a single channel mode by sending and receiving data. The secondary/extension channel is also able to send and receive data.

This is what I meant by a extension channel.

I have seen this done in a posting by another user. Where they have chosen two channels instead of one.

For example in this posting by Masterman:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61570

His posting is close to the bottom of the page. You can see he has chosen two channels 6+4.

I hope this is a little bit clearer and sorry for the vague message earlier.

Thanks for the help and quick response.
ESKIMOn00b
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
on the Wireless settings page simply select 40Mhz Channel width, you will then get the option to pick your center (control channel) then decide to bond to uppper or lower...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#40.C2.A0MHz_in_2.4.C2.A0GHz

see above page for refernece
ddwrt4life
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Eko and ESKIMOn00b for your replies.

That wiki sure helped out a lot. I also found another one:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

Here are my current configurations
Wireless Channel 6
Channel Width 40MHz
Control Channel Upper

I will continue to experiment with the setting to see if I see any improvements, but for now I am happy.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on improving the speed, besides the ones I have?

Once again thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
bill1228
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anytime you are working on wireless speed don't overlook the possibility that you are running with a old nic driver on the laptop/pc. As an example, I was getting 150mbsp with an HP laptop with Intel 5100 chip. Downloaded and installed the latest driver from intel and now get 300mbps as I would expect. This was with BS 14929 big build without any wireless tricks, just 40 for channel width selected. The driver also had a channel width selection.
Of course, as has been stated many times before, interference is probably the biggest reason for poor wireless performance.
--bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: