Potential for WHR-G300N v2 support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
supportingit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
REPASSAC wrote:
I don't know if that amounts to openvpn or not.

No mate, OpenVPN is a vpn, but its distinctly different.
Sponsor
sao24006940
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys.
How can i put this router with firmware 14896 to use 300mbps? I read that i need to change Channel Width for 40mhz (turbo), but this option does not appear.
Anyone know's something?

Thank's.
Ronnie_USA
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
sao24006940 wrote:
Hi guys.
How can i put this router with firmware 14896 to use 300mbps? I read that i need to change Channel Width for 40mhz (turbo), but this option does not appear.
Anyone know's something?

Thank's.

Should be right under wireless mode.

With frater's simple ad-blocking script
ichibaka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Which new build is the most stable for this firmware? I hate buffalo's fw because it cannot do port forwarding, but I also hate the previous build of dd-wrt for this router because it was very unstable to the point that my connection dropped to less 1/10 of its 7mbps connection.

So I need to know if any new build have fixed this big quirk and make it usable for day to day usage?
flashermaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ronnie_USA wrote:
sao24006940 wrote:
Hi guys.
Anyone know's something?

Thank's.

Should be right under wireless mode.

ya you should change the working mode to N ONLY or G/N mix.
flashermaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had another problem with the DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) std firmware.
I couldn't find the vlan configure page???
Who knows why.... I need vlan to solve my net problem deadly!
Crispy2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
New here so firstly Hello all. Smile

I'm looking at purchasing one or two buffalo WHR-G300NV2 for use as a wireless bridge mainly because its the cheapest router that will run dd-wrt at £20 (other end will be a Linksys160NL dd-WRT).

My question is regarding all the conflicting information on this website.

If you stick the model number into the router support database it tells you it is not supported (in terms of no WIP or plans to do so in near future).
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

The support devices list states that it is supported listing firmware version requirement.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Buffalo

Obviously people in this thread are using it with mixed success.

I'm looking to use it only if quite stable with heavy throughputs I as plan to use it push 720p/1080p media to a TV where no cables are possible.

Just want a bit of clarity please.

Thanks
REPASSAC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont't think that a router is added to the DB when a build first supports it - may be wrong - if so please correct.The firmare seems to provide good standard supportfor hardwired connections but several posts iindicate that current builds are not satisfactory on WIFI.

Are home-plugs a possibily or out of your budget?
Crispy2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't like homeplugs very much. I
've had quite a few die on me (and my customers).
Plus it means two more devices being powered (one 24/7) and using plugs where the wireless solution only requires one device that powered on some of the time as the access point is already present.

Cost of two 200 Mbps ones is the cost of a nice linksys n160 with usb support ....

Most of my house I have cable networked (soon to be upgraded to Gigabit^^).

I have alot of good old WRT54gs but looking for something with a little bit more umph on a budget.

Thanks for the answer.
ichibaka
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
ichibaka wrote:
Which new build is the most stable for this firmware? I hate buffalo's fw because it cannot do port forwarding, but I also hate the previous build of dd-wrt for this router because it was very unstable to the point that my connection dropped to less 1/10 of its 7mbps connection.

So I need to know if any new build have fixed this big quirk and make it usable for day to day usage?

*bump*

anyone know? please let me know as I hate buffalo's firmware but it's more stable than the last ddwrt build for this router that I downloaded in august.
GNTC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:24    Post subject: Reverting to Buffalo Firmware Reply with quote
I've flashed my broadcom devices before without trouble, but no matter what OS or IP I use with the WHR-G300N V2, it does not seem to want to do any TFTP uploading.

As the Buffalo firmware is encrypted, I can't flash using any other method I'm aware of.

If I can get the info together I could produce a guide for flashing the V2 back to Buffalo firmware. If anything this gives people more confidence to try out a test build of DD-WRT knowing that they can switch back if there's a problem.

ETA:

Just in case anyone is curious why I want to flash back to Buffalo, it's because in the same room as the AP/Router I was getting Windows 7 network file transfers pretty much at 100Mbps wired speeds (11.0 MB/s to laptop, 9.5 MB/S from laptop to desktop). With the latest DD-WRT my speeds have been massacred (6.4 MB/s to laptop, 3.5 MB/S from laptop to desktop). If I have a reliable way to switch between Buffalo and DD-WRT I will happily keep trying it out.
Boulder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:33    Post subject: Re: Reverting to Buffalo Firmware Reply with quote
GNTC wrote:
I've flashed my broadcom devices before without trouble, but no matter what OS or IP I use with the WHR-G300N V2, it does not seem to want to do any TFTP uploading.

As the Buffalo firmware is encrypted, I can't flash using any other method I'm aware of.

If I can get the info together I could produce a guide for flashing the V2 back to Buffalo firmware. If anything this gives people more confidence to try out a test build of DD-WRT knowing that they can switch back if there's a problem.

ETA:

Just in case anyone is curious why I want to flash back to Buffalo, it's because in the same room as the AP/Router I was getting Windows 7 network file transfers pretty much at 100Mbps wired speeds (11.0 MB/s to laptop, 9.5 MB/S from laptop to desktop). With the latest DD-WRT my speeds have been massacred (6.4 MB/s to laptop, 3.5 MB/S from laptop to desktop). If I have a reliable way to switch between Buffalo and DD-WRT I will happily keep trying it out.
I'd like to go back to Buffalo firmware as well.

Earlier in this thread there is this piece of information, but it really doesn't tell much:

"Welcome back, Buffalo!
My router now on Buffalo firmware 1.80
I bought it in HongKong. Firmware downloaded from HongKong site
I downgraded my router on this instruction, BUT I did not do hard reset 30/30/30. Just power off.
Remember! My router is WHR-G300N V2
Good luck."

It's also been said that you could flash the Buffalo firmware in the same way as for WHR-HP-G300N. I think the "Easy way" should work, as that's what mostly has been recommended. That instruction list is much more clear to me than many others that do the same trick.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N
GNTC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:52    Post subject: I did it! Reply with quote
Thank you Boulder!!

I must have missed the link when reading through the thread. I have now successfully reverted mine back to Buffalo firmware! :D

Now I can go between DD-WRT and Buffalo as I please and see how the progress goes.

I have documented the process and created a new page on the wiki specific to the WHR-G300N V2 so anyone new can easily find the procedure.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N_V2#Going_back_to_Buffalo_Firmware
Boulder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:02    Post subject: Re: I did it! Reply with quote
GNTC wrote:
Thank you Boulder!!

I must have missed the link when reading through the thread. I have now successfully reverted mine back to Buffalo firmware! :D

Now I can go between DD-WRT and Buffalo as I please and see how the progress goes.

I have documented the process and created a new page on the wiki specific to the WHR-G300N V2 so anyone new can easily find the procedure.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N_V2#Going_back_to_Buffalo_Firmware
No..thank you very much Very Happy I'll give it a go later today when I get home from work. I did try the Ubuntu Live CD way a while back but found out that the OS didn't like my SATA DVD drive so it wouldn't start. Now I dug up my old IDE CD drive which should do the trick.
GNTC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 15:03    Post subject: Buffalo Firmware Vs DD-WRT Reply with quote
I'm pretty surprised, excited and impressed to say this. I've been conducting testing on a multitude of options on all the firmwares.

I know DD-WRT is still in development for this router.

While attempting to enable 40Mhz channels seems to really upset DD-WRT. DD-WRT seems to be significantly outperforming the Buffalo firmware in 20Mhz modes. The connection also appears to be more stable.

I will keep up the testing. If you've tried to use 40Mhz modes you may need to hard reset your router to get decent performance back on 20Mhz modes with DD-WRT.

I think as DD-WRT matures on this platform it's going to be pretty exciting! With the 40Mhz mode functioning properly I think it's going to really stand up a lot better against the Buffalo firmware.

All praise Brainslayer ;)

(Release tested: 08-12-10-r14929)

At my desk: 8.6 MB/s down (That's megabyte) and 5.7 MB/s up. This compares with 7.3/4.6 on the Buffalo 1.82 firmware.

In the kitchen: 3.2/2.2 for DD-WRT, 2.8/1.9 for Buffalo 1.82.

In the dead spot under the stairs: 1.6/1.5 for DD-WRT, 0.67/0.71 for Buffalo 1.82.

I've compared 20Mhz modes on the same channels for fairness. I'm in a rural location with virtually no interference. Tests done by watching Windows 7 network file copies. Client adapter is an Intel 5100 AGN card with 2 MIMO receive, 1 MIMO transmit.[/b]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 7 of 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: