DD-WRT and netflix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
klidec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd give it a shot if they supported the wrt610n but they don't yet. I appreciate the efforts of the ddwrt team especially since they moved so fast in supporting such a popular router. They are offering a workaround just not the ideal one. I can live with that considering I did not have the dns rebind protection for over a year now. That's not to say I don't want both protection and a netflx workaround. I do. But I'll take what I can get. Ddwrt is certainly better than the stock firmware and I have no other alternatives right now.

I get your point though. I don't expect netflix to change. I'd prefer that ddwrt get a dnsmasq upgrade. But brainslayer has his reasons and I'm happy that wrt610n owners can replace their stock firmware with something that gives it so many more capabilities.
Sponsor
dimaspivak
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
As hinted at by other posters, I've also realized that I can get Netflix streaming to work on my iPhone by disabling the use of DNSMasq for both DHCP and DNS. Just out curiosity, though, does doing this have any negative effect on my network performance or security? I hope it's not too stupid of a question, but I don't have any background knowledge of networks so this is all muddied water for me. Thanks!

-Dima
yourmapper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 14:59    Post subject: Same Issue Reply with quote
I'm having the same issue with my WRT160nV3 using the latest firmware build: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini - build 14896. Just waiting for a new build that fixes it, or to hear a solution. Don't want to downgrade.
klidec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
dimaspivak wrote:
As hinted at by other posters, I've also realized that I can get Netflix streaming to work on my iPhone by disabling the use of DNSMasq for both DHCP and DNS. Just out curiosity, though, does doing this have any negative effect on my network performance or security? I hope it's not too stupid of a question, but I don't have any background knowledge of networks so this is all muddied water for me. Thanks!

All i know is that there is some type of attack called a "dns rebind" attack that dnsmasq can protect you against. For some reason streaming netflix is causing the protection to kick in and that is why it does not work.
This protection can be disabled and i believe the next build will allow us to easily keep dnsmasq enabled with the specific "dns rebind" protection disabled via a DDWRT option in the UI.

this page has some info on what the dns rebind attack is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNS_rebinding

Not sure how seriouse an issue it is. Sounds scary.
klidec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 19:05    Post subject: Re: Same Issue Reply with quote
yourmapper wrote:
I'm having the same issue with my WRT160nV3 using the latest firmware build: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini - build 14896. Just waiting for a new build that fixes it, or to hear a solution. Don't want to downgrade.

dimaspivak was able to get it to work by disabling dnsmasq for both DHCP and DNS.
yourmapper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 19:18    Post subject: Re: Same Issue Reply with quote
klidec wrote:
yourmapper wrote:

dimaspivak was able to get it to work by disabling dnsmasq for both DHCP and DNS.

It does sound scary... But you are right, if I disable both of those on the Setup screen, then the Netflix app works. Thanks!

Maybe it's wise to just disable them when you know you are going to watch. A pain, but not too bad.
dellsweig
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
dimaspivak wrote:

-Dima

The ONLY way I could get the Netflix App working on my iPhone was to change my DNS server from the default (192.168.1.1) to google (8.8.8.Cool on my iphone. (settings->wifi->advanced)

I use openDNS on my router. I have no trouble viewing netflix on my Roku box or Xbox or any of my computers - just from the Iphone.

I have opened a ticket with OpenDNS on this.
VD$
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 17:02    Post subject: Re: Same Issue Reply with quote
yourmapper wrote:
klidec wrote:
yourmapper wrote:

It does sound scary... But you are right, if I disable both of those on the Setup screen, then the Netflix app works. Thanks!

Maybe it's wise to just disable them when you know you are going to watch. A pain, but not too bad.

It (disabling DNS and DHCP dnsmasq) works fine for Netflix, but Skype data transfers are much slower. Don't know why.
Spooky_Jeff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:19    Post subject: Google DNS Reply with quote
Thanks to dellsweig's solution a few posts up I can now connect and stream movies from netflix by switching the dns server to google's dns on my iPhone. I also use opendns on my router so hopefully this can get fixed. The only other work around I found was connecting to a pptp-vpn before launching netflix.

WRT610n v1. v24-sp2 (07/28/10) mega (SVN revision 14853M NEWD-2 Eko). iPhone 4 w 4.1
powaking
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 18:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same issue happening here. Using Buffalo HP G54 with 14896 build and iPhone 4 4.0.1. I even tried putting the phone on DMZ port with no success (updated router to this build but don't remember what my previous build was). I use OpenDNS but will try using Googles DNS.

Incidently my dads Asus works fine. I'll see what build he's using and also what settings he has.

klidec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just installed dd-wrt.v24-15230_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin.

I set the new "no dns rebind" option (located under services tab) to disable and after a few seconds I was able to stream netflix again.

Probably better to use this method than to disable dnsmasq all-together.
gjlowe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am so happy when the search button does it's job :D

I am having the same issue. I have an e3000 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (07/28/10) big - build 14853M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko

I am psyched to see that it is not just me! Though I am sad it is affecting us all. I was able to troubleshoot it down to only my iOS devices, as my iMAC works fine on the same WiFI network as my iPod 4. Netflix told me that they don't have different ports for the iOS devices, which I found hard to believe, but now that I see this thread, I suppose it is true. I will try rolling back...but anything else I can provide to help the effort?

iPod 2G non-MC model running iOS 4.0 jailbroken
IPod 3G 8GB running iOS 4.0 not jailbroken
IPod 4G running iOS 4.1 not jailbroken
iPad wifi model, running 3.2.1 jailbroken

EDIT: #%&$. Sorry...must have missed the last pages... Ignore me. Sad
adamsorkin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Same issue here with 14896 - downgrading and I'll see what happens.

Update:

Went to build 14311 on my Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N and it works fine.
DerUltrazauberer
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a similar problem (I think). By default dnsmasq has the "stop-dns-rebind" option enabled.

Are the a way to temporarily disable it? I can access the console and edit the /tmp/dnsmasq.conf but I don't know how I can restart the dnsmasq service without rebooting the whole router. Firmware is r14929 and it's not working. On an other router with r14684 all is working.

Hope anyone can give me a hint. Wink
Walhalla
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I created a little script on my jffs/opt partition and added it as startup script under "Administration | Commands" to workaround that "issue".

Code:
#!/bin/sh

killall -9 dnsmasq

cd /tmp

cat dnsmasq.conf | sed -e '/stop-dns-rebind/d' > dnsmasq.tmp

mv dnsmasq.conf dnsmasq.bak
mv dnsmasq.tmp dnsmasq.conf

dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf

This kills dnsmasq, removes the stop-dns-rebind line and restarts dnsmasq.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: