Please help! - ASUS RT-N16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
BJWTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 18:19    Post subject: Please help! - ASUS RT-N16 Reply with quote
My Setup;

Hardware: ASUS RT-N16
DD WRT Firmware: dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_big
Network Topolgy;
WAN: CABLE Connection
LAN (port 1-3): 10.10.10.0/24 (WORKING)
WLAN-Priv: 10.10.20.0/24 (AP Mode, WPA2/AES) (NOT WORKING)
WLAN-Public: 10.10.30.0/24 (AP Mode, No Security) (NOT WORKING)
DMZ (port 4): 10.10.40.0/24 (WORKING)

Eventually I would like to setup a HOTSPOT on WLAN-Public. Currently I only have LAN/WLAN-Priv bridged (10.10.10.0/24) and DMZ (port 4 - 10.10.40.0/24) working.

I have had this router for about 3 weeks now. For the most part all is going swimmingly. I have a couple problems that I hope I can get help with.

1) I cannot get gigabit to work. Only ever negotiates 100MB-FD. I have used the same hardware (cables/switches) and negotiated 1000MB-FD. On the Setup > Networking page it only shows 100MB as an option for manual setting. I leave it at "auto-negotiate".

2) I can not separate the WLAN from the LAN using the various tutorials. I have tried just separating the WLAN from the LAN and assigning it an address. I have also tried assigning it to it's own bridge. Then assigning an ip to the bridge. When I do either, I try to connect to the AP and it keeps faling with key negotiation. I return settings back to bridging with LAN and all is fine.

I ran this same setup with x86 hardware and my own gentoo build as a router for like 4 years. I wanted to replace the energy sucker with something greener, hence the ASUS purchase. Please help me get this sorted!

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

BJWTech

Last edited by BJWTech on Tue Sep 28, 2010 18:55; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read the announcements. In particular, read note 7 of the peacock announcement carefully. But make sure you read ALL of the announcements. Links below.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 18:46    Post subject: Re: Please help! Reply with quote
BJWTech wrote:
I have had this router for about 3 weeks now.

This router?
I haven't got a crystal ball..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 18:48    Post subject: Re: Please help! Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
BJWTech wrote:
I have had this router for about 3 weeks now.

This router?
I haven't got a crystal ball..

I thought I was posting in the ASUS RT-N16 thread. I will edit my post shortly...

Thanks!
BJWTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
ReadtheAnnouncements! wrote:
Read the announcements. In particular, read note 7 of the peacock announcement carefully. But make sure you read ALL of the announcements. Links below.

My apolgies. I have edited my post. Let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gigabit is not something you can force and that goes for any network adapter. Gigabit is always negotiated and the settings in the Setup/Networking is for reducing the speed, ie disabling higher speeds.
I've got an Asus RT-N16 and has no problems getting gigabit speed from its lan ports, checked by looking at properties tab of the network adapter of the computer connected to the port.
Another port connected to an 8-port gigabit switch shows gigabit speed on the leds of the 8-port switch.

So, how do you know that you don't get gigabit speeds, how have you tested?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:23    Post subject: Re: Please help! - ASUS RT-N16 Reply with quote
BJWTech wrote:
My Setup;

Network Topolgy;

Eventually I would like to setup a HOTSPOT on WLAN-Public. Currently I only have LAN/WLAN-Priv bridged (10.10.10.0/24) and DMZ (port 4 - 10.10.40.0/24) working.

I have had this router for about 3 weeks now. For the most part all is going swimmingly. I have a couple problems that I hope I can get help with.

1) I cannot get gigabit to work. Only ever negotiates 100MB-FD. I have used the same hardware (cables/switches) and negotiated 1000MB-FD. On the Setup > Networking page it only shows 100MB as an option for manual setting. I leave it at "auto-negotiate".

2) I can not separate the WLAN from the LAN using the various tutorials. I have tried just separating the WLAN from the LAN and assigning it an address. I have also tried assigning it to it's own bridge. Then assigning an ip to the bridge. When I do either, I try to connect to the AP and it keeps faling with key negotiation. I return settings back to bridging with LAN and all is fine.

I ran this same setup with x86 hardware and my own gentoo build as a router for like 4 years. I wanted to replace the energy sucker with something greener, hence the ASUS purchase. Please help me get this sorted!

BJWTech

1. One of your hardwares is not compatible with 1000Mbps, either cable or network card. All my computers automatic negotiate to 1Gbps. There is nothing wrong with the DDWRT built.

2. I thought this separation of private and public is related to bridged and unbridged in the wireless setting. There is an option there to choose. I think it is better to use 3rd party hotspot, such as Chillispot. It works great with my Asus RT-N16 router.
BJWTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Gigabit is not something you can force and that goes for any network adapter. Gigabit is always negotiated and the settings in the Setup/Networking is for reducing the speed, ie disabling higher speeds.
I've got an Asus RT-N16 and has no problems getting gigabit speed from its lan ports, checked by looking at properties tab of the network adapter of the computer connected to the port.
Another port connected to an 8-port gigabit switch shows gigabit speed on the leds of the 8-port switch.

So, how do you know that you don't get gigabit speeds, how have you tested?

I have tested by looking at internet properties on both my windows box and my linux laptop. Both of which negotiated 1000Mb before. They show 100Mb in both cases. I have also verified using various throughput tests. Indeed it is not gigabit.

As I stated in my oroginal posting; the same exact hardware (minus the router hardware) negotiated 1000Mb FD. It is a cat 5e cable directly connected to an intel pro 1000m card. I will break everything down tonight to verify a second time just for due diligence.

Why does the DDWRT screen only show 100MB as a setting if it is 1000 cabable? This is odd to me. Does yours show the same thing? If I had a router that was only 100Mb capable, would it show 10Mb in that same screen? What build are you using?

Thanks,

BJWTech
BJWTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 18:34    Post subject: Re: Please help! - ASUS RT-N16 Reply with quote
bbmak wrote:
BJWTech wrote:
My Setup;

Network Topolgy;

BJWTech

1. One of your hardwares is not compatible with 1000Mbps, either cable or network card. All my computers automatic negotiate to 1Gbps. There is nothing wrong with the DDWRT built.

2. I thought this separation of private and public is related to bridged and unbridged in the wireless setting. There is an option there to choose. I think it is better to use 3rd party hotspot, such as Chillispot. It works great with my Asus RT-N16 router.

1) All HW is gigabit capable. And all HW (minus the router) has negotiated gigabit in the past.

2) Yes, as I stated I have tried that already. At this point I am just trying to separate the WLAN from the LAN first before even throwing the WLAN-Pub into the mix. I cannot separate the WLAN from the LAN. Or rather I can, but once I do, key negotiation breaks.

Tonight I will post screens of the various setups I am attempting to get this done. Hopefully then someone can maybe see where I am going wrong.

Thanks!
BJWTech
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, so apparently someone worked my ethernet cables. I was breaking everything down to make sure all was good when I noticed a kink in three cables. All three cables had a cut in them and some bare wires. I made some new wires and all is good on the gigabit front. What a crazy coincidence that it happened when I was switching everything over to the new systems...

I went ahead and left my WLAN-Private bridged with the LAN as I have exhausted all options with separating it presently. I went ahead and added a VAP for WLAN-Public and separated that. That is working fine. Next to add Chillispot to it.

I am still flumuxed as to why I cannot separate the WLAN-Private from the LAN-WLAN bridge. Maybe a new firmware will fix it. I would rather my WLAN be separated from my LAN, but I can live with it for now.

Thanks!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
BJWTech wrote:
OK, so apparently someone worked my ethernet cables. I was breaking everything down to make sure all was good when I noticed a kink in three cables. All three cables had a cut in them and some bare wires. I made some new wires and all is good on the gigabit front. What a crazy coincidence that it happened when I was switching everything over to the new systems...

It is always the cables.. Very Happy

Navigation

Jump to: