Making sure of firmware for WRT54G v3.1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
intheswamp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 20:14    Post subject: Making sure of firmware for WRT54G v3.1 Reply with quote
Thanks to the folks that put all the time into making this software available. I succeeded in upgrading a WRT54G V8.1 with a micro build of DD-WRT the other night. I'm presently using that router as a wireless repeater from my office to a shop across the street and it's working great!

Since then I've acquired a WRT54G V3.1. I want to use this v3.1 to replace a Netgear WGR614 as our primary router. My plans are to install a standard version of DD-WRT, but I'm not sure which builds to use, though. These are the two builds that I'm considering...

The mini version first:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_mini_wrt54g.bin

...then the standard version:
ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_std_generic.bin

I had considered using the Eko Vintage builds but then when I read about the milw0rm root exploit I didn't know if I could figure out how to write a script to fix the firewall. ????

To be honest, I think all the builds are beginning to run together and congest the network between my ears.

If somebody could give the yea or nay on the builds noted above or recommend the right ones it would help me greatly.

It's weird but it seems the v8.1 should've been the hard one to figure out but I'm having trouble figuring out an earlier version...leave it to me!
Rolling Eyes

Thanks
intheswamp
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those builds look fine for your unit, and 14929 is a pretty good build.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
intheswamp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 22:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks buddee for the reply, I'll go with those two versions. I've already 30/30/30'd the router and have the two files ready to go so hopefully this evening I can get the new firmware installed!

...now to go back over the flashing procedure one more time. Wink

intheswamp
intheswamp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buddee, the firmware uploads went fine (and have moved the dinky Netgear offline). I got the router running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) standard. Used the Linksys web gui to upload the mini and then the standard version. I did the 30/30/30 hard reset before uploading the mini version and afterwards, but in typing this message I can't remember if I did a 30/30/30 reset after uploading the standard version or not. I've already set up the router with MAC addresses, wpa2-psk, names, password, etc., so I think I'll just see how it runs for a few days. It seems to be working great with both the wired computers, an old wireless laptop, and the repeater.

I tweeked the power up to 79mW. Anything else that I need to tweek in the settings?

Thanks for giving me the ok on those versions, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten done tonight! And thanks to all the folks that work on DD-WRT!

intheswamp
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
intheswamp wrote:

I tweeked the power up to 79mW. Anything else that I need to tweek in the settings?

That should be ok, i would just run it for a bit and see how it does as far as stability does, the 79 setting should work fine with that unit, WRT54G's seem to handle upped radio power better than others. The tweeks can be different for everyone, given per their environment, so you really have to just run it and see, other than that, enjoy dd-wrt Smile

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
intheswamp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I got the v3.1 router it had no power supply with it (fleaBay purchase). I had a couple of old/dead? BEFSR41 routers and used a power supply from it. Both that PS and the one on the repeater are .5 amp. Reading through the forum some I've seen where folks have upgraded to a higher amp PS with some good results (cleaner signal, more power). I think I'll replace the power supply on the repeater with the old Netgear power supply (1-amp) and see if it kicks up the signal across the street. I'll check the polarity but I figure they'll be the same. If it helps any I may chase down another ps for the v3.1 primary router

...something to tinker with. ;)

intheswamp
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use the 1Amp with that unit if you can...the 0.5Amp supplies were for the neutered WRT units.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
Use the 1Amp with that unit if you can...the 0.5Amp supplies were for the neutered WRT units.

redhawk

I'll switch out one of the .5 amp power supplies for the 1 amp Monday morning, but which one are you suggesting I use it on, redhawk...the repeater or the primary router?

Thanks,
intheswamp
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Meaning to use the 1 amp with the v3.1 and being that the v8.1 is a neutered unit, you most likely can use the 0.5 amp with it.

redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah buddee is right...the 1A on the v3.1 unit...and the 0.5A on the V8

Full flash/ram WRT54G v1-v4.0
neutered flash/ram WRT54G v5-V8.2

Same for GS models.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks ya'll. I understand the "neutered" aspect now. Laughing I'll pump up the v3.1.

intheswamp
jchap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got a wrt54g v8 in the mail and it didn't have a power supply. i didn't lookup this "neuter" aspect. can i use my old 12v 1amp adapter on the v8?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
jchap wrote:
I just got a wrt54g v8 in the mail and it didn't have a power supply. i didn't lookup this "neuter" aspect. can i use my old 12v 1amp adapter on the v8?

Yes. As long as the voltage is the same and the amps are higher than spec, you will be fine.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: