Access restriction controls

JustAsking
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 19:12    Post subject: Access restriction controls Reply with quote
I have a LinkSys WRT54G and it has worked well but I now have to setup a control rule that does not seem to be supported by the default system and as a result am exploring converting it to DD-WRT to enable me to do what I need to do.

I am here to ask if the DD-WRT access controls will support what I want to do before going through the effort of loading it.

I have a computer that is connected to the router through a cable. All other computers use wireless. When I setup a access restriction by MAC address to cut off internet access, it only appears to work for the wireless connections and not for the cabled connection. I want the cabled computer on my network so that it can use my wireless printer but want to be able to cut off internet access "on demand". It is a child's computer and need to limit/restrict online time.

Does this software support MAC based internet access restrictions for the cabled PC as well as the wireless PCs?

Thanks all.
Sponsor
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
sure see the wiki here... be sure to read the peacock thread for firmware recommendations and flashing instructions Smile
JustAsking
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read that but it is very similar to the stock router documentation and that does not seem to block direct connect PCs so I though I would ask if anyone new for positive that DD-WRT did via either extended documentation or direct experience. Thanks.
gobbledigook
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 14:58    Post subject: Re: Access restriction controls Reply with quote
JustAsking wrote:
Does this software support MAC based internet access restrictions for the cabled PC as well as the wireless PCs?

wiki wrote:
Denying Internet Access

1. Select an unused policy number (1-10) in the drop-down menu.
2. Enable your policy by setting Status to Enable.
3. Enter a name for your policy in the Policy Name field. Ex. "Deny Internet"
4. Click the Edit List of clients button.
5. On the List of clients screen, specify clients by IP address or MAC address. Enter the appropriate IP addresses into the IP fields. If you have a range of IP addresses to filter, complete the appropriate IP Range fields. Enter the appropriate MAC addresses into the MAC fields.
6. Click the Save and Apply buttons to save your changes. Click the Close button to return to the Access Restrictions screen.
7. Click the radio button next to Deny Internet access for listed clients during selected days and hours.
8. Set the days when internet access will be denied. Select Everyday or the appropriate days of the week.
9. Set the time when internet access will be denied. Select 24 Hours, or check the box next to From and use the drop-down boxes to designate a specific time period.
10. Click Save and Apply.
11. To create or edit additional policies, repeat the necessary steps above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: