Flash Netgear WNR3500 v2 with OpenVPN build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
whatsthedeal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 22:34    Post subject: Flash Netgear WNR3500 v2 with OpenVPN build Reply with quote
Hello,

I have a Netgear WNR3500 v2 that I'm hoping to setup an OpenVPN client and/or server on. In the router database, there are two WNR3500v2 models: WNR3500v2 and WNR3500v2_VC. For the WNR3500v2, there is not an OpenVPN build, while for the WNR3500v2_VC, there is an OpenVPN build. Can I use the OpenVPN build for the WNR3500v2_VC on the WNR3500v2?

Thank you.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure what the WNR3500 v2_VC entry in the database is for and it's missing information but the builds appear to be Broadcom k2.6 builds. You should get builds from the forum recommendation announcement though, the builds on the DB aren't tested before they're put up and marked "recommended" but the forum recommendations are only updated after many people have tested the build and found it to be stable.
whatsthedeal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for responding so quickly. I admittedly misunderstood the purpose of the Router DB. I believed it would detail which versions were recommended, so thank you for that clarification.

I have found builds in the forum post you referred to here (for Broadcom devices, kernel 2.6): ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom_K26/

There is a build named dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_openvpn_small.bin with a size of 3.2MB. This should work on the WNR3500v2 (it has 4MB for flash)?

Thanks again.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
whatsthedeal wrote:
I admittedly misunderstood the purpose of the Router DB. I believed it would detail which versions were recommended, so thank you for that clarification.

Well that is its purpose but recommending something without actually testing it is senseless and we can't seem to persuade the company to change its ways...

Any generic k2.6 build that will fit onto your available flash space should work. See the peacock announcement for more info.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: