Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
metallic
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey all,

I can't see "Repeater" or "Repeater Bridge" as a Mode in Wireless/Basic Settings tab. I'm running:

Router Model
D-Link DIR-615-C1
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) std - build 14311

Does anyone know how I can fix this or which mode I'm supposed to use? The options are:

AP, Client, Client Bridge, Adhoc, WDS Station, WDS AP
Sponsor
blitter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, I guess the C1 revision has different options. Client bridge with an added virtual interface will simulate a repeater bridge for you (if you enter the same security details in the vi). Also, give the latest brainslayer firmware a go: v14815.

edit: actually you will need a different SSID for the virtual interface, so not really exactly what you were looking for?
silvia240
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
After doing hours of reading, I am asking a question I should have had asked first.

Lets begin with the beginning, I currently have a D-Link DIR-601 (main router) and purchased a Asus RT-N13U to do a wireless bridge.

I purchased the asus to do dd-wrt so that i can wireless connect my HTPC & Xbox 360 in my living room. The HTPC is used to stream HD content from my main computer (currently located 2 rooms away). In the HTPC I have a wireless G card, but when streaming 720p, i get stutter in the video. When connected through a 100ft Ethernet cable, the video plays smoothly.

So back to the question, Since my DIR-601 does not support a repeater-bridge, I will be unable to do the setup i want? Would i need to purchase another router like the ASUS that supports those modes?

I already put ddwrt on the asus and it seems to pick up other wireless signals, but it does not show mine under the "site survey"

Thank you for the help and sorry for the noob question. I am trying to learn as much as I can, but time is not what i have a lot of.
xennelul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 17:38    Post subject: DIR-615 C1 client bridge/repeater security/dhcp issue Reply with quote
I followed the instructions as close as possible and I now have a DIR 615 as a repeater bridge, but when I enable security,
my Linux (Ubuntu) machines can not connect,
my macintoshes, seem to connect initially but then fail to get a IP address, when I click on the network diagnostic and let OSX repair the connection, I see in the network preferences that the computer checks out an IP address, downloads half a page then loses its IP address again, I can do this over and over again while loading pages.

I tried to force a dhcp request from the command line on the linux machines but that did not help.

Right now, I turned off security and things work fine,

I tried WPA personal and WPA2 personal, with same settings on the primary router as on the secondary repeater.

I am using DD-WRT
Firmware Version DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896

Thanks!
xennelul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I ended up disabling the SSID broadcast on the bridge, I might go with MAC filtering in the future.
I set the primary router back to WPA2 personal and let the bridge log into the primary using WPA2 personal. The bridge is now less secure, but I believe DD-WRT has some issues with security surrounding the client-bridge setup on atheros. Everything seems to be working reliably this way.

I don't think there is this requirement to have the same security setting on the bridge as on the primary when they have different SSID (in the case of atheros, when the bridge goes via a virtual interface).

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue.
NituMituLenda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having similar problems.
I have an old dlink connected to my modem, and I have a DIR-600 V2 on the other side ... what happens when I connect the DIR-600, initially the internet works fine, but ping test, half of the responses are lost, and also I can not create a virtual client, because the Internet does not work then.
excuse my English is a translator, I am Brazilian.
I'm considering the chance of a virus from another network in the note, or perhaps the old dlink is on borrowed time. I'll try to exchange the old for a dlink cisco I have another site to see if it works, but if anyone knows anything, please let me know.
Greetings.
blitter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Virtual interface was working in 14311 (stable)...haven't used it since then but I've heard of your issue twice now with recent builds.
NituMituLenda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
i'm using it, the last build... should i change it? i thought it was better then the others...
killer23d
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is very weird. I have been using DD-WRT on my WRT610N, WRT160N, Fonera 2100, and setup as client bridge is never a problem.

The DIR-615C1 has routing issues with firmware build BS 14929, 14896 and all device hooked up to it can't obtain IP automatically. If I use static IP, it cannot access any external IPs (internal IPs are OK). Pinging the DIR-615 has no response.

I went down to the most reliable ones for my Linksys - BS 14684. With the same settings, the DIR-615 as client bridge is working great.

I have no idea why this is happening.
NituMituLenda
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok... can I set up my router as a repeater bridge with a dinamic IP? Static IP is "obrigatório"? And if it's a network virus on the other note? But I don't belive it's THE problem...
What if in Brazil things are diferent? LoL
BL888
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 23:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI

Thanks for the info.

I followed this step by step to connect the DLINK (B)to my Belkin N1 Vision (A).

BEfore applying hte settings (B) could see (A).

After settings it cannot bring up any wifi networks.

I am also unable to connect to the net via (B). I am simply looking to hook up 2 PCs wired via (B) through the connection on (A).

Any tips what i need to check? I am using Windows 7

THanks
aragh0rn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 23:02    Post subject: Not working Reply with quote
Hi, first of all, thank for your tutorial. I've followed step by step but still not working.

Primary 'A' router is a Micronet that act as AP (192.168.1.240) with all security disabled (as you suggested).

Secondary 'B' router is a Dlink-DIR600 rev b with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) std - build 14311.

I can't see 'A' router in site survey from router 'B'. I was able to saw it at the beginning of the tutorial, but no when I fish the setup. Any help would be appreciated.

If more info is needed, just ask.

Thanks
blitter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi aragh0rn. You're welcome. It's not unusual to have teething problems with repeater-bridge, it seems once it works it's easy to upgrade and re-setup, but initially things don't go so smoothly.

The site survey does not function is repeater-bridge mode. If you want it to return then change to any other mode, then change back when you're done with the survey.

I've also noticed that sometimes the bridge can appear not to work for a minute or so after changing to 'router' mode (from 'gateway) - the final step.

oh, and a fish won't help ;-)

@all. sorry for any replies I have missed, please ask again if anyone is still having issues with this guide.
mrzahz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56    Post subject: Dlink Dir-600 B1/B2 Repeater/Repeater-Bridge issue Reply with quote
Out of 9 units that i have tested, only 2 of B1 and 1 of B2 unit support R/R-B mode with virtual AP interface. The rest is just capable to operate on the basic repeater with out virtual AP interface.

It quite painfull to think that in the situation when the similiar hardware version not necessarily functioning as expected.

The test carried out using R14896, Multiple trial using R15XXX also giving no improvement.
azert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's works but when i try to add a virtual interface, i lost my wifi connection with my routeur A

Any suggestion?

router DIR 615 D1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: