Primary Router Selection

skyfireblaze
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 20:50    Post subject: Primary Router Selection Reply with quote
I've been using a WHR-HP-G54 as my primary router for the past couple years. The router has been rock solid (currently running v24-sp2 (07/22/09) vpn - build 12548M NEWD Eko). I have a 2nd WHR-HP-G54 acting as a client-bridge. Well, I now need another wireless client/adapter, so my plan is to move my HP-G54 router over as a 2nd bridge and get a new primary router. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to decide which router would work out the best in replacing/upgrading my WHR-HP-G54.

I have two N- capable laptops so I'd naturally like to maximize the data transfer speeds and use a wireless-n network for them. All other wireless devices are g- only, including the two bridges. I am intrigued by the though of having both 2.4GHz (g-) and 5.0GHz (n-) bands available (either the E3000 or WNDR3700). However, nearly all file transfers will be between the individual laptops and a computer attached to one of the g- bridges. Since most everything will be going across the 2.4GHz g- connection, I don't see a big benefit to having a 5.0GHz n- network as data transfers would be limited by the wireless-g transfer speed. Internet downloads across wireless are not a big point here either as I'm currently on a 1.5Mbps DSL connection so I'm not pushing even the wireless-g limits.

So, based on all this, I'm leaning towards the RT-N16 as a replacement for my trusty WHR-HP-G54. Is there anything else I should consider here? Any other router suggestions beyond the RT-N16?

Thanks --
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: