DD-WRT and netflix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
excddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Over DD-WRT wifi, my iPhone can log into Netflix, but quickly reverts to the previous page after attemping to play a video. Over 3G and work wifi, all is normal.

WRT160nv3
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/18/10) mini - build 15230M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko
iPhone 3GS (old bootrom) blackra1n'ed 3.1.2 to 4.1 custom firmware via sn0wbreeze 2.0.2.

dellsweig wrote:

The ONLY way I could get the Netflix App working on my iPhone was to change my DNS server from the default (192.168.1.1) to google (8.8.8.Cool on my iphone. (settings->wifi->advanced)

I use openDNS on my router. I have no trouble viewing netflix on my Roku box or Xbox or any of my computers - just from the Iphone.

I have opened a ticket with OpenDNS on this.

Thank you--this worked! This should be the preferred solution over disabling DNSmasq.
Sponsor
klidec
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
As stated in earlier posts, you can also set the new "no dns rebind" option (located under the services tab in DDWRT) to disable.

With this option checked you can use netflix with the newer builds of DDWRT.
netbob
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 23:13    Post subject: Wrt320n(mod e2000) netflix on ipad Reply with quote
I have a wrt320n (flashed to a e2000 dd-wrt v24-sp2(10/07/10)) and disabling "no dns Rebind" worked for me. I have a jb 3.2.2 iPad.
Thanks!
Nb
Kris404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had the same issue on my 610N v1 (Big 15200) using the new Apple TV.

The way I solved it is to set the IP & DNS manually. The DNS has to be set to 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS server)

Kris
pjneder
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have the same problem on my Atheros based WNDR3700 Netgear as well. I used the 8.8.8.8 DNS on the iPad to temp fix the problem. The builds for the Netgear box are coming a bit slow, but they will have the same issues as discussed in this thread.
wickedneurons
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have the option to disable that setting in the build for my WNR3500L.

But changing the DNS to google's does seem to work. I hate the fact that google is recording my traffic requests, though...

Maybe they'll add the option soon...
seanhsmith
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 14:45    Post subject: Same Issues Reply with quote
I am having the same issues... trying to play Netflix from my iPhone while on my home WiFi connection causes the player to say "Loading..." for a second or two and then the player disappears and returns to the previous screen in the Netflix iPhone app. I have basically the same setup as everybody else:

1) Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 router running DD-WRT v24 pre-SP2 Build 14929 (dated 08/12/2010)
2) iPhone 4 running latest iOS 4.2.1
3) Most up-to-date version of Netflix app

Turning off WiFi and using 3G eliminates the issue as does manually setting the DNS server on my iPhone to be Google's 8.8.8.8 server. I also tried adding the "rebind-domain-ok=ihost.netflix.com" to the DNSMasq "Additional Arguments" box as somebody else had tried with the same result of it breaking all DNS queries through the router.

Do we know if it's a bug in DD-WRT, a bug in iOS, or something to do with how Netflix and/or the Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) they use perform DNS redirection? From my understanding, this problem stems from the "DNS rebind" protection that's now built into DNSMasq in DD-WRT. I read a little bit about DNS rebind attacks and it sounds like it's when somebody points a domain to be a local IP address... such as something.somewhere.com points to 192.168.1.1 or some other address in one of the reserved private IP ranges. I'm wondering if maybe Level 3, Akamai or Limelight (the 3 CDNs Netflix use) has an IP address range that's similar to a private range and that DD-WRT is using the wrong subnet mask when performing the DNS rebind check. I find it hard to believe that any of the major Content Delivery Networks would be pointing any of their domains to a private IP address since this would defeat the entire purpose of their networks. In any event, this is a real problem and I hope the DD-WRT team takes notice and issues a fix in an upcoming build.

EDIT: I should also mention that I have DD-WRT setup to use the OpenDNS servers for the first two "Static DNS" fields (208.67.222.222 for Static DNS 1 and 208.67.220.220 for Static DNS 2 with 0.0.0.0 as Static DNS 3). How many other people from this thread that are having this issue are also using the OpenDNS servers?
dpace32
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having the same issue with my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH running DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std (SVN revision 14998). My router shows Use DNSMasq for DHCP and Use DNSMasq for DNS. If I disable the second option but leave the first option enabled, everything works PERFECTLY including Netflix on my iPad + Apple TV2.

First off, is this option really necessary? According to Wikipedia, DNSMasq is useful for resolving names internally on the network which I don't think I need for my small home LAN. Second, is there another way around this? By changing the DNS on my device, it didnt seem to work.

Thank you Smile
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
wickedneurons wrote:
I don't have the option to disable that setting in the build for my WNR3500L.

But changing the DNS to google's does seem to work. I hate the fact that google is recording my traffic requests, though...

8.8.8.8 is just an example that's given because it works for everyone. If you don't want those requests going there, you should use your ISP's DNS-servers on your iPad. They are given on the status page of your WAN.

I've noticed some unwanted behaviour with dnsmasq, but I fail to relate them with your problem.

It doesn't return results of DNS-requests giving local addresses (a dirty fix for a rebinding hack). It breaks realtime DNS blacklists which are described in RFC's.

It will do a 2nd DNS-request if the first failed and will concatenate your local domain to it. I don't want it to do this.

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
wickedneurons wrote:

If you want to turn on rebinding and you don't have the option to change it in your webif, then put this in your rc_startup

Code:
killall dnsmasq
sed -i -e 's/^stop-dns-rebind/#&/' /tmp/dnsmasq.conf
dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf

It puts a bracket in front of 'stop-dns-rebind'

You can test it by doing an 'nslookup 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org' on the command-line of your Windows machine. They are probably using similar tricks at netflix.

Code:
C:\>nslookup 2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
Server:  WAN
Address:  192.168.10.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    2.0.0.127.zen.spamhaus.org
Addresses:  127.0.0.10, 127.0.0.4, 127.0.0.2

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
JPWhite
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 19:09    Post subject: Changing DNS on iPad fixes the problem Reply with quote
Turning off DNSMasq works fine, but is an ugly accommodation for a problem that only affects a single device/app.

Changing the DNS server on the iPad to point to 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS) resolves the issue.

Since I am an OpenDNS user this is a more appropriate resolution for me.

I posted a blog article regarding this in case DD-WRT users don't twig that it's the router/iPad/Netflix combo that's creating the issue.

http://wp.me/pCOs1-dJ
wayner9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had this issue as well - very frustrating as I couldn't figure out why Netflix wouldn't stream on my iPad but was fine on my PCs, etc.

I went and manually entered the DNS on my iPad and all is well.

Will this issue cause problems with any other apps on the iPad?

What is the best resolution to this problem? Manually entering a DNS? Disabling Use DNSMasq for DNS? Using an older firmware?

FYI - I am using build 14929 on an Asus RT-N16 router.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
wayner9 wrote:
I had this issue as well - very frustrating as I couldn't figure out why Netflix wouldn't stream on my iPad but was fine on my PCs, etc.

I went and manually entered the DNS on my iPad and all is well.

Will this issue cause problems with any other apps on the iPad?

What is the best resolution to this problem? Manually entering a DNS? Disabling Use DNSMasq for DNS? Using an older firmware?

FYI - I am using build 14929 on an Asus RT-N16 router.

Using OpenDNS's servers or Google's DNS servers will remedy the problem, and the problem most likely will not change due to apple's use of their own proxies for their accessing. Has nothing to do with dd-wrt.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
wayner9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="buddee'] Has nothing to do with dd-wrt.[/quote]I don't understand that. I replaced a Linksys WRT54Gv2 running Talisman with an Asus RT-N16 and I starting having this problem immediately. It sures seems that DD-WRT causes this problem as it seems to handle DNS differently than many other router firmwares.

And I am using my own ISP's DNS.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
wayner9 wrote:
I don't understand that. I replaced a Linksys WRT54Gv2 running Talisman with an Asus RT-N16 and I starting having this problem immediately. It sures seems that DD-WRT causes this problem as it seems to handle DNS differently than many other router firmwares.

And I am using my own ISP's DNS.

dd-wrt provides more security and thus does what its supposed to as far as handling DNS is concerned. I was quite happy that it didn't just allow apple's proxies in, so did what it was supposed to.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: