Question about 5GHz channel Bonding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Masterman
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 15:39    Post subject: Question about 5GHz channel Bonding Reply with quote
I have searched to my wits end and cannot determine the advantages, disadvantages of the 100's of channel frequencies in the 5GHz band.

Since 5GHz has WAY less range and penetration than 2.4GHz, is it logical to assume that the lower the frequency (i.e 5.280 GHz on channel 56) has more range than say 5.805 (channel 161)?

I have played around with the settings (changing channels, Xmit pwr), and still cannot determine if there is any benefit to change the channel to a higher (or a lower) frequency for better range ...

My setup consists of a RT-N16 as main DHCP with wireless disabled, an E2000 physically linked to it and serving a WRT610nv1 via a WDS LAN node. The 5GHz WDS'ed radios on the E2000 and WRT610nv1 are on channel 56 upper providing a 300Mbps physical link to serve an Xbox 360, a PC and an Asus Oplay HD. The 2.4 GHz radio in the WRT610N is my dedicated WAP for my iphone, printer and various other devices..

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Asus RT-N10
Asus RT-N12
Asus RT-N16 x5
Asus WL520gU
Engenious ECB350
Linksys WRT600Nv1.1
Linksys WRT610Nv1
Linksys E2000
Netgear WNDR3300
SonicWall NSA220W
SonicWall TZ215W
SonicWall TZ205W
SonicWall TZ105W
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 16:50    Post subject: Re: Question about 5GHz channel Bonding Reply with quote
Masterman wrote:

Since 5GHz has WAY less range and penetration than 2.4GHz, is it logical to assume that the lower the frequency (i.e 5.280 GHz on channel 56) has more range than say 5.805 (channel 161)?

In my EXP in this, i had different results with different channels used, IE seemed the higher channels gave me better results, not much better, but the percent meters would raise atleast 1-2% more if i used higher channels, but to be honest, i'm like you in this matter because its not significant enough to notice around my house because all the other AP's around me use 2.4 basically making 5Ghz pretty much wide open, but in the measured meter readings on both dd-wrt and DUmeter (for throughput measuring), the higher the channel, the better the result.

Edit: also wanted to note that my using different dual band nic's may have something to play in this as well. currently i use wnda3100 v1 and wusb600n v2 for my 5Ghz adapters, which different adapters gave diff results as well. so no tellin

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Speaking purely about the physics of it, a shorter frequency (longer wavelength) with equal transmit power should attenuate quicker. In the real world there's lots of variables though and the difference between channel frequencies in 5GHz is small so you may experience different results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: