New Product - Need Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:16    Post subject: New Product - Need Help Reply with quote
I could really use a quality product recommendation from the people who know best (that's you DD-WRT geniuses Smile ).

As of now, I am currently using a WRN160Nv3 (with the latest eko build) for my home-based business.

I also use this router for:
1. streaming videos from PC's to XBOX360 for entertainment purposes,
2. Sharing my Multi-Function-Laser printer on my home network
3. Sharing my three HD-DVR's with DirectTV (more video streaming)
4. playing some video games (at times)
and others...

With the right settings (BGMixed Mode & WPA Security), I am able to maximize my internet speed when connected wirelessly. This seems to be working great (for the present) when routing just the internet. Playing games and brousing the web wirelessly works great. It's the streaming where I run into trouble.

I have two issues with this and some reasons why (I believe) I need a new router.

1. The first major problem I am having with this router (WRN160Nv3) is that it seems to get overloaded when wirelessly streaming videos (from PC to 360) or (from DVR to DVR). While doing this, the router gets overworked and re-starts on me. This is always a big hassle. I can't have that. So, I think I may need a router with a little more power. Would I need a device with more RAM?

I also have some plans to add two more network capabilities;

1. I want to add some Network storage through my router, where I can pull my work files from a hard drive (or storage device) connected to the router. I want to work on and edit files from one place using multiple computers. A router that seems to be of quality and offers external network storage (by connecting a USB storage server or hard drive) would be the Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH which gets good reviews here. I was considering purchasing this tomorrow.

2. But, I also want to create a separate guest network that provides internet access only to guests, but doesn't allow them to access my main network (storage files, printers, even music and videos). I was wondering if I could use my WRN160N (connected to the WZR-HP-G300NH) to create a separate network that serves my internet from the Buffalo router..

3. Finally, in the next few weeks, I am planning on setting up a VPN from my home-office which would allow me to access my network storage from another network. Would I still be able to do this with the (WZR-HP-G300NH)?

I apologize if I sound like a big networking novice. This forum has always educated me while providing the networking solutions I need and answering me questions. Everything from you guys has been great. This is why I have donated money here. I just want to take it a step further. I also want to buy a product recommended by DD-WRT experts (for a change) and of course fix my current issues.

So, if anyone can provide me with a good suggestions for products to purchase (or any other advice you can offer me), I would really appreciate your time and effort.

A big advance "Thank-You" to anyone who will reply to this thread.

Lou
Sponsor
DoesItMatter
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) Wireless-N streaming is one of the hardest things on the router currently
Something to do with the state of the drivers - they're just not performing that great
Really, you have to give it time
Wireless-G has been around for YEARS

Wireless-N will get better, but will take time to get to the stability G has

2) I would setup a separate router to perform this function
Go into the Atheros forum and read up on the WZR-HP-G300NH
I have one, I like it, but it can be very picky at times

3) I would look into an Asus RT-N16 for your main router
Seems really stable, wireless is performing well, lots of flash and RAM
It has 2 USB ports for storage and/or printer

As far as network sharing over the router - READ the forums
LOTS of people have been doing testing on this
It does work currently, but the transfer rate is NOT the greatest

You would be MUCH better off having a specific PC with USB-2 drives
attached, and a Gigabit connect to the main AP router, sharing files

NAS drives on routers right now, performance is OK, but NOT great.
Again - something that will probably improve over time

Linksys EA8500 - OpenWRT IPQ806x Trunk R16375 5.4 Kernel

TP-Link Archer C7 V3 - OpenWRT Build R16290 5.4 Kernel
Linksys E3000 - FreshTomato Build MIPSR2 2021.2
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Also read below. Anyone who states latest eko build hasn't
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
ReadtheAnnouncements! wrote:
I have read through hundreds of stuff on this site. I have no idea what you are trying to tell me. I skimmed over the links in your signature and I have no idea what you are trying to tell me.
ReadtheAnnouncements!
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
dwdyem2001 wrote:
I have read through hundreds of stuff on this site. I have no idea what you are trying to tell me. I skimmed over the links in your signature and I have no idea what you are trying to tell me.

Then quit skimming and read carefully.....

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54845
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52043
(We'll wait....!) Wink
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
dwdyem2001 wrote:

Maybe these announcement threads aren't as helpful as you think. I don't understand a lot of it.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
dwdyem2001 wrote:
dwdyem2001 wrote:

Maybe these announcement threads aren't as helpful as you think. I don't understand a lot of it.

Just post the build you are running and get on with it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 19:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
Just post the build you are running and get on with it.
Make sense..
v24-sp2 (10/26/10) mini - build 15506
I had no idea whay announcement I was supposted to be looking in fr what I did wrong.

Thanks for the advice "DIM"....I that asus model was another one I was considering. Gonna pick one up today...

I think I might just use the WRT160Nv3 as my secondary router for guest internet access.
raym
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use my routers in a similar way. I've got a wrt610nv1 as the main router. I stream video over n-only at 5GHz to 2 locations and use g/n mixed @ 2.4ghz for pc networking. I also have a wrt160nv3 to extend the range of the 2.4 ghz.
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
DIM,

I bought an E3000 for my main router as that is all they had when I sent to the store. I went looking for the Asus router that you reccomnded. The sotre never have anything but Linksys and NetGear...

I am considering using the WRT160N as my secondary router for guests. However, I am afraid this will interfere with my main wireless signal. What is the solution for this?
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
raym wrote:
I also have a wrt160nv3 to extend the range of the 2.4 ghz.
How exactly do you do this?
raym
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
> wrt160nv3 to extend the range of the 2.4 ghz
> How exactly do you do this?

I have a (non ddwrt) belkin "ethernet converter" acting as a wireless bridge for the 5GHz. The media kit is all wired into this. I also wire in the wrt160nv3 and set it up as an access point (different ssid and channel to the main router) to cover the back of the house.
You can also use various bridging and repeater technologies like WDS which works nicely too.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers
dwdyem2001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
DoesItMatter,

I took your advice and purchased the Asus RT-N16 and I am still having the same problem. Whenever I try to play a video from my laptop on my 360, the router reboots and everyone temporarly loses connection until the router starts back up.

I tried the following DD-WRT firmware files;
"dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16.trx"
"dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin"
"dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_usb.bin"

Using all three of them, I am having the same problem.

Should I go back to the Linksys e3000. I really didn't get a chance to test that one as I bricked it before I had chance to try it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: