Disable SIP ALG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mangelok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 15:55    Post subject: Disable SIP ALG Reply with quote
According to this thread: http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=60

I need to disable my SIP ALG on my WRT54G v2 router in order for SipDroid on my Android phone to connect to pbxes.org.

I tried v24 sp2 and v24 sp1 VINT to try and disable it as I've heard that some versions of dd-wrt have this feature, but alas I could not find it.

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance Smile
Sponsor
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 18:28    Post subject: Re: Disable SIP ALG Reply with quote
mangelok wrote:
According to this thread: http://code.google.com/p/sipdroid/issues/detail?id=60

I need to disable my SIP ALG on my WRT54G v2 router in order for SipDroid on my Android phone to connect to pbxes.org.

I tried v24 sp2 and v24 sp1 VINT to try and disable it as I've heard that some versions of dd-wrt have this feature, but alas I could not find it.

How can I do this?

Thanks in advance Smile

When someone is referring to the Linksys WRT54G, they mean the Linksys software. DD-WRT makes your device a completely different router with other settings and functionality.
Because DD-WRT is developed using the sources of the Linksys firmware it looks similar, but that's the webinterface which is just a human interface.

My Asus router with DD-WRT software has almost nothing in common with the original software. I only saw the original software when I flashed DD-WRT on it.

Asterisk, pixelserv & Pound running on router
Another Asus RT16N as WDS-bridge

DD-WRT v24-sp2 vpn (c) 2010 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 12/16/10 (SVN revision: 15758M)
mangelok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:24    Post subject: Huh? Reply with quote
Quote:
When someone is referring to the Linksys WRT54G, they mean the Linksys software.

I don't think I fully understand what you mean.

AFAIK, Linksys manufacturers all sort of different models of routers. The WRT54G is a popular model of router along with other models such as the WRT610 and so on.

Logic suggests that if the model name only referred to the version of software that is on the router, then the versions of software would be interchangeable and I could flash my WRT610 firmware onto my WRT54G.

Quote:
My Asus router with DD-WRT software has almost nothing in common with the original software. I only saw the original software when I flashed DD-WRT on it.

You only saw the original software when you flashed non-original software on it? How does that make any sense?

Overall, I think you might be getting at the fact that
Quote:
DD-WRT makes your device [like] a completely different router with other settings and functionality.
but I don't see how that helps me any.

I think what you really are trying to tell me is that the original firmware had this feature and that DD-WRT doesn't, in which case I will revert to stock Linksys firmware tomorrow.
jnl
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:09    Post subject: By default, dd-wrt does nothing with SIP traffic Reply with quote
what he means in plain english is that there is no SIP ALG in dd-wrt to disable.

also, what makes you think this is the specific issue you are having with sipdroid?
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:17    Post subject: Re: Huh? Reply with quote
mangelok wrote:
I think what you really are trying to tell me is that the original firmware had this feature and that DD-WRT doesn't, in which case I will revert to stock Linksys firmware tomorrow.

The DD-WRT firmware does not have that *exact* feature. What it actually has is a linux version of VOIP software to help your internal network phones to communicate with the outside world. If your router supports it, you will need to use the 'VOIP' version or better of the DD-WRT firmware (and I doubt your router will support the 'mega' version).

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
mangelok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:58    Post subject: DD-WRT VOIP Reply with quote
Okay, I installed the VOIP version and now I have this Milkfish SIP Router thing under Services. But I think this is for something else? Like hosting your own VOIP service..
Hmm. Maybe I'll look elsewhere in the settings.
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:09    Post subject: Re: By default, dd-wrt does nothing with SIP traffic Reply with quote
jnl wrote:
what he means in plain english is that there is no SIP ALG in dd-wrt to disable.

also, what makes you think this is the specific issue you are having with sipdroid?

You don't have have a Linksys router anymore. You have a DD-WRT router.
mangelok wrote:
Logic suggests that if the model name only referred to the version of software that is on the router, then the versions of software would be interchangeable and I could flash my WRT610 firmware onto my WRT54G.
Logic no, Your logic...

I can flash the same firmware on my Asus which is even a different brand.
I've even heard of people running OpenWRT on a Cobalt Raq. The cobalt Raq was originally being used as a hosting server not even a router. Is see them all as Linux computers.

Anyhow.. he's referring to the Linksys firmware, not to the Broadcom device for which Linksys provided a casing, some antennas and a label.

mangelok
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Logic no, Your logic...

I can flash the same firmware on my Asus which is even a different brand.

Naturally being my post, I was referring to my logic as I can not speak for the whole of civilization.

Quote:
I've even heard of people running OpenWRT on a Cobalt Raq. The cobalt Raq was originally being used as a hosting server not even a router. Is see them all as Linux computers.

When Linux, for example, is installed onto an HP-branded computer, I can still think of it as an HP computer, regardless of whether or not the internals were manufactured by different companies.

A better example would be that if I installed Android onto my iPhone(which is possible for some), it is unlikely I would think of it as an Android phone and never ever ever call it an iPhone.

Quote:
Anyhow.. he's referring to the Linksys firmware, not to the Broadcom device for which Linksys provided a casing, some antennas and a label.

If by he, you mean the original poster, which also happens to be me, then I shall inform you I was referring to the hardware(the casing, the antennas the label, and the other various parts inside by Broadcom), not the software. You have to give Linksys credit; putting parts manufactured by other companies into a nice little case is their business, and they do well in it.

In any case, this still isn't helping my problem any.

In response to jnl's comment, it's not reeaally the specific issue that I'm having. It just sounds easier to fix than the other issue I had. I don't have to set it up through PBXes, I just decided to because I was having issues when I set it up with my VOIP provider's(freephoneline) settings. As soon as I dialed a number (with SipDroid set up using freephoneline's settings) and pressed the call button, the call would end immediately. I thought it was the codec at first because I was recommended to use G729 codec which SipDroid doesn't support, but then I tried calling out with only PCMU enabled on my ATA and it worked, and SipDroid supports PCMU. So, because it's not the codec, I don't really have much clue what this could be which is why I tried doing it another way. I know my PBXes set up is working because I used the other extension with my ATA. I only think this is the solution because of what I read in the thread and because I tried other solutions.

If DD-WRT doesn't have a SIP ALG, then it's just that my smartphone isn't getting through to the other side of the router. I tried giving it the DMZ and it still wouldn't register, so I'm stuck.

I'm starting to think that I should have posted this on SipDroid's forms instead, but I originally posted it here because I thought you guys would be smarter Razz.
frater
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
mangelok wrote:
If by he, you mean the original poster, which also happens to be me

No, of course I don't mean you.
You were referring to a page and because it was my intention to help you with your problem I went to that page and read it.

"SIP ALG" is a SIP-helper, but in most situations it doesn't help, but it ruins things. It's because the SIP-helper is meant for dumb SIP-clients. Nowadays most of the SIP-clients are "smart", but when they are figuring things out this 'SIP ALG' helper is making things worse.

The DD-WRT firmware has no 'SIP ALG' and can not be turned off. Even if your router is a WRT610N which may have this setting.

Within the context he (no, not you) he spoke of, he's referring to the Linksys WRT610 firmware. It's the software that routes...

SIP and NAT is always problematic. You shouldn't do normal NAT at all with your SIP-traffic. With siproxd this is possible. You can find more info about this subject here: http://siproxd.sourceforge.net/

You should run this on the dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: