Unbrick 610n V1 - so far no luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
marty_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 22:43    Post subject: Unbrick 610n V1 - so far no luck Reply with quote
Hardware: Linksys WRT610n V1

Flashed wrong firmware, now only power light flashes. no response from pings.

Tried unbrick:
1- http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT610N

never got the recovery web page from all 3 methods.

BUT got ping responses from 192.168.1.1 during the first 3 seconds after alternate method 1.

Was able to TFTP the dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin to router in those 3 seconds. Now can ping router non-stop. Also assigns an IP adress to computer. But still no response on web interface at 192.168.1.1 (can ping though)

Tried a 30/30/30 reset, waited, still no response from 192.168.1.1 on web and ping doesn't work.

2- http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=380273#380273

Tried a different .bin file to TFTP and tried to get wireless connection going as per post. No luck.

Seems that I can't make a .bin firwmare "stick" to the router. After a power cycle, the router returns to it's dead mode: flashing power light and no response on web or ping.

What's giving me hope:
Quote:
Turn on router and watch your ping window for reply with TTL = 100.
If you get a reply then the switch IC and the bootloader is ok, there is a chance for rescue.

I get =100

Anything else before bulding serial cable or short pins? Suggestions?

Last edited by marty_ on Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:55; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Pinnochio
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try flashing the exact file that is for the initial install for the router that is in the wiki. I am not sure if stock firmware might also be a possbility. You should not ever short pins.
marty_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have flashed the mini version of the suggested initial install file for this router as per the database suggestion on this site.

The stock firmware is around 7 megs, so it's too big to flash in the limited time I have when the router is responsive (~3 sec)
Pinnochio
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 0:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
You either have to get it into management mode, or use serial recovery. You are right, the proper builds for the router are too big to flash by tftp.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pinnochio wrote:
You either have to get it into management mode, or use serial recovery. You are right, the proper builds for the router are too big to flash by tftp.

Actually.. I challenge that. I think that was back in the day but I have not tested.

I fix a bunch of routers.. Get the router to listen to tftp via serial, it will flash the stock firmware no matter how big it is.

Watching serial, there is no diff between the router listening at boot, or the router listening via force (serial).

I think... When the router powers up and listens, the nic on the rig isn't ready to go.. Once it is, it is too late.

To over cum Razz this.. Put a switch or hub between the router and the rig. That will keep the rigs nic up and ready. The routers nic (lan ports) are ready immediately but only for a short time (3 listens for tftp upload, some routers.. 5)

I will test as time permits.. I know the switch or hub works.. I need to know about the alleged 4mb limit for a tftp flash.

@Pinnochio.. How big is your nose?? Mine is 8 inches Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

But your ass is much bigger. And smarter.

Smart-ass! Laughing

Go test the tftp limit. It will make you smarter. Butt your ass will grow too. Fair warning.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pinnochio wrote:
barryware wrote:

But your ass is much bigger. And smarter.

Smart-ass! Laughing

Go test the tftp limit. It will make you smarter. Butt your ass will grow too. Fair warning.

My ass gets any bigger, I'll need a parachute for a towel after a shower (in the car wash)

Back on topic (after an 8" nose (203.2mm for our European members))

I need to test and I was not picking.. Butt Razz I see no diff in serial between the router waiting for tftp vs. the force of tftp. I figure bits is bits and if the router accepts tftp (via serial) of oem fw 4+ mb, then it should also accept it at boot wait...

My point was / is that I don't think the 4mb flash limit exists on newer routers..

I'll test and either eat my words, or my nose will grow by another inch..

So... my advice to the OP.. Put a switch or a hub between your router and your rig... Start the tftp utility, than boot the router.. Flash STOCK linksys firmware..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
To over cum Razz this.. Put a switch or hub between the router and the rig. That will keep the rigs nic up and ready. The routers nic (lan ports) are ready immediately but only for a short time (3 listens for tftp upload, some routers.. 5)

you can also "force" your windowsbased pc have its nic ready by disabling media sense on the port:

in regedit navigate to ( for xp ):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
and alter / enter the dword value DisableDHCPMediaSense with 1
see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924

the above also works in vista and windows7, but better is to open an elevated commandpromt and issueing the commands:
netsh interface ipv4 set global dhcpmediasense=disabled
netsh interface ipv6 set global dhcpmediasense=disabled

both ways will require a reboot to be effective

side effect of this setting is that an acquired dhcp address will not be lost on a (temporarely) disconnected utp cable

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have a switch right now, I'll get one tomorrow (need one anyways, DNS-323 on sale 150$ bestbuy.ca and I'm out of ports), so I tried the regedit and a reboot:

Quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
and alter / enter the dword value DisableDHCPMediaSense with 1

Results for TFTP:

Code:
C:\Work>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT FW_WRT610N_1.00.03.15_20090514.bin
Error on server : transfer cancelled

C:\Work>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin
Transfer successful: 3031040 bytes in 4 seconds, 757760 bytes/s

Result from TFTP2.exe: Transfer bar gets to halfway and then fails for stock bin. Mini bin gets transfered ok.

End result is (from mini bin):
-ping OK 192.168.1.1 (Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=100)
-Will assing IP (When removed the initial 192.168.1.10 that I assigned it, I get new IP 192.168.1.100)
-Web interface not responding

Appreciate the help by the way, regardless of nose/ass size :)

Will post tomorrow after I try with switch.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the 4M limitation is the tftp.exe utility itself...not the router.

I've never been able to get tftp.exe to work with anything over 4M.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I think the 4M limitation is the tftp.exe utility itself...not the router.

I've never been able to get tftp.exe to work with anything over 4M.

redhawk

Hmmm.. Not a challenge but just to share info.. I use tftp.exe to flash bin's over 4mb when getting the router to listen via serial. Butt Razz it is a real old version.. Probably the 1st linksys provided. It is named something like befstftp.exe. Was used on the bef series routers. I posted it on the forum somewhere.

As said.. I'll get this tested as time permits.

Last one I remember for sure was a 610v2. Flashed the stock firmware which is well over 4mb.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
not feeling challenged...Im just stating that I never was able to flash anything over 4M....but...I suppose it could be possible....after all, its software...anything is possible :lol:

redhawk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry for delay (got DNS-323 going to replace my dead 610n-Ext HD combo)

Quote:
To over cum this.. Put a switch or hub between the router and the rig. That will keep the rigs nic up and ready. The routers nic (lan ports) are ready immediately but only for a short time (3 listens for tftp upload, some routers.. 5)

So I got a switch (D-Link DGS-1005G).

Setup now:

Laptop - Switch - 610nV1

Results are the same. I can get the router to accept only small flash files. It stills stops anything over ~4M

But at this point, I think the router should have at least given me basic dd-wrt router functions. It did accept the mini bins. So why no web interface yet?

Did anybody get this serial cable adapter thingy for port1 (hardwarewizzard?) I will buy one now!
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you should try here is as such, use the tftp2.exe that you already have, when you start your tftp transfer, use this with tftp2.exe...

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24_TNG/svn15508/dd-wrt.v24-15508_mini_usb_ftp_wrt610n.bin

after success, wait 8 mins, then power off and on the unit not 30-30-30, then see if you can access it at 192.168.1.1

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
marty_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, got the file, less than 4Megs. Good.

Tried a couple of times with tftp2.exe with the transfer stopping a hair before it completes.

Switched to tftp command line and get same result, transfer not complete.

So I'm trying to get my timings exact, but I'll start looking for a file like buddee's that's just a little smaller.

Found this one:
Code:
dd-wrt.v24-13577_mini_usb_ftp_wrt610n.bin    binary    3.31 MB    2010-01-02

-transfered with success, now waiting 8 min...

Code:
C:\Work>tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT dd-wrt.v24-13577_mini_usb_ftp_wrt610n.bin
Transfer successful: 3466240 bytes in 6 seconds, 577706 bytes/s

-power off/on only, trying web access... no luck and ping stopped responding after 4 replies.

Tried again without cycling power... no luck but still pinging away happily and gave me a new ip 192.168.1.100 when I unplug the lan cable and plug it back in with auto assign ip. No web response though.

Cycle power and it's back to zero. Either it doesn't accept the firmwares (non-linksys, but linksys are too big so I need the serial adapter), or the router is about to get a structural integrity test (against the wall), so the power light will stop flashing so fast. Confused
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: